“Not perfect, but a good experience for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of SummerPlace Inn

SummerPlace Inn
Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Birmingham, AL
“Not perfect, but a good experience for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

This hotel was well worth that price that I paid for it (off-season). Room was very clean, nice balcony--though the view of the ocean may be a bit overstated in the promo info. Yea, I could see the ocean from our third floor balcony--barely--in the distance. The beach is about a 3-4 minute walk from the hotel. The hotel is located in the middle of everything--that's good or bad (if you want solitude). Front desk staff were very nice and breakfast buffet was free--though it varies in its selection, day to day. Overall, it was not a big selection of food items, but adequate--I guess the waffles are the highlight.

Hot water was somewhat of an issue for us. At times, there seemed to be plenty, other times, not.

Overall, I would definitely return if I could get it at as good a price as I got this time

• 4 of 5 bubbles
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
I would like to thank you for sharing about your experience at the SummerPlace Inn. We offer great value - in both the winter months and the summer/peak travel season. Our goal is to provide Superior Style. Superior Service. at a great value - and it is our hope that just as you felt this way during the winter season, that should you return during our busy season, at that time as well you will find we offer Superior Style and Service while still maintaining great value.

We do rotate our breakfast items, which allows us to ensure that our guests do not become tiresome of eating the exact same thing each day. Our rotation of hot items include: waffles, oatmeal, eggs and sausage. We hope you get the opportunity to experience these items at breakfast on your next visit!

Mistelle Langen, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Sulphur Springs, Texas, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

We came to Destin for our wedding and really enjoyed our stay with this hotel. We were there for 6 nights and every one was great. I will say the breakfast isn't quite as great as the hotel room, but you can't always get it all. I will say that this hotel is not located conveniently to the beaches though. If you are going to the beach, I highly suggest Miramar's beaches. As for the room, we had a king suite and it suited us just fine. The room was clean and everything had been updated. The staff was always nice, super helpful, and eager to assist us with anything we needed. I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you book in advanced through their website, you can get great deals!
1 Thank Tabatha B
Thank you so much for your high recommendation of our little hotel SummerPlace Inn, here in Destin. To know that you stayed with us for 6 nights, and received excellent service each day of your stay is a testament to our amazing staff. I can not wait to share your review with them and I'm certain there will be some Woot Woot's at our morning roundup.

We love taking care of our wedding party guests - and getting to know all of the different people from around the country (and sometimes world). Should your travels ever find you just needing a vacation, we hope that you will consider coming back to Destin and letting us Wow you again with our Superior Style and Superior Service!

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2011

I recently vacationed in Destin, we stayed at the Summerplace Inn. I read all the reviews before my arrival. I just want to say the hotel was absolutely nothing short of excellent. I would definitely stay there again......... thanks Bailey..... looking forward to returning soon.

1 Thank stacey w
First, on behalf of Bailey I would like to say thank you!!! And second, I will sure to add this to Bailey's wall of fame as we love when we provide such excellent service that you remember us even after you are gone! Thank you so much for the kuddos you have given us. It is guests like you that keep us striving to provide such service and when we know we've succeeded it gives us the extra push to put more smiles on more faces! We can't wait to see you again - and I'm sure Bailey will look forward to making sure everything is perfect for you again :)

Louisville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

We got a great deal via the internet for $62 / night. Stayed 3 nights and we weren't interested in being on the ocean, because the next week we were meeting friends in Gulf Shores for a week on the beach. So this hotel was what we were looking for. Staff was very pleasant, room was very nice, continential breakfast was very good. I would recommend this hotel if you don't want to be on the beach.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CancunCrew
Thank you so much for your recommendation of the SummerPlace Inn! Destin is a funny little town how it is set up with beach access - with only one hotel located directly on the beach - that being a full service hotel. However, SummerPlace Inn is fortunate to be directly across the street from the Destin Beach but having been to Gulf Shores myself, it is a much different environment to be on the Gulf, and I sincerely appreciate your view of this! If you enjoy golf there is a great hotel in Gulf Shores (Marriott Courtyard Craft Farms) that while not located on the Gulf is a great hotel located directly on their premier golf course :)

Hope the rest of your trip was amazing and we hope to see you again next year!

Best Regards,
Pace, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

We were looking for someplace to stay for one night for our wedding anniversary and ended up going with SummerPlace due to the price.

We told them we were coming for our anniversary so they told us on the phone we would be upgraded to a balcony room on the front facing the water for no additional charge. When we arrived (about 3:15) we were advised check-in wasn't till 4 but they would check to see if any rooms were ready and were asked to sit and wait. We didn't get to check-in till about 3:50 so I wouldn't say plan on being able to check-in early as you can most other places. When we got called up to check-in I double checked the rate on the bill and it was $30 higher than we were told on the phone. The clerk corrected the issue and gave me a new bill.

When we got to our room we were put in a 1 bedroom "suite" that did not have a balcony. We really wanted the balcony more than we did a "suite" so my wife went back downstairs to ask about moving. She was told then that the only balcony room they had available was on the second floor. I didn't figure that was high enough to see the water so we just stuck with what we had. Room was very small even for being considered a "suite". Had a separate bedroom from a sitting area. The sitting area had a couch and a chair with TV. Couch was very hard. Room and bathroom were both clean. The toilet in the bathroom is one of the lowest I have ever seen in my life! Very hard to sit on and get up from. The bed was by far the hardest bed I've ever slept on in my life. I woke up the next morning hurting all over as did my wife.

The hotel over all was very clean and I guess for the lower price I shouldn't complain but sleep comfort just wasn't there. I did complain about the bed at check-out and was told someone "the other night" had to have a piece of plywood put under it because it was too soft. I definitely know that wasn't the bed I slept on.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend calling them as you can get a cheaper price compared to what's listed on th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Most importantly, I would like to say congratulations on your anniversay! As I can see in your review, the hotel certainly tried to excede your expectations by offering you complimentary upgrades, before you even arrived at the hotel. I am glad that they were able to get the complimentary upgrade charge taken care of prior to being billed as well. I'm sorry that you did not sleep well on our mattresses. This hotel does not have plywood available for use under beds - so I apologize for this miscommunication that you represent. This is not a complaint we typically receive, mainly because of the quality we use in comparison to other hotels. However, we each have different preferences - so I will definitely take into consideration having some different bed types available to guests such as yourself. Thank you again for taking the time to share about your expereince.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had a great stay at the summer place inn this summer. We got the the hotel early we asked if we could check in early and they had a room avaliable on the first floor close to the entrance. We have to very light sleepers so I adked if we could move to another room on the third floor and they were happy to accommodate. They checked us in early and we had a great stay. The rooms were cleaned everyday. Our kids Baffin in the pool every evening. They are so close to restaurants and entertainment. The beach is across the main highway so we drove to the beach everyday. If our kids were older or it was just adults we could have walked. The staff keeps everything so clean. We had a great time and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deepulley
Thank you so much for taking note of the pride with which we represent our hotel. We are always happy when we know our guests are as happy as they can be - and it sounds like we did a great job! I will be sharing your comments with our entire staff, as their pride in their work and the hotel they work for clearly shows in the way the hotel is maintained and presented. This will definitely make their day! We hope in the future we will be able to take care of you and your family again! Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything at all!

Foley, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Our experience was fantastic! When we arrived around noon I thought I would give early check-in a try, but was doubtful that it would work considering we were four hours early. However, I was pleasantly surprised when Jefferson at the front desk said our room was ready! If you are lucky enough to check in with Jefferson at the front desk, be prepared to have the best check-in experience you've ever had! He was very polite, helpful, and seriously entertaining! Our two sons wanted to take him home with us!

The two pools were not very large, but they were just what we needed! After a day at the beautiful beach (public access is just across the street) the indoor pool was a nice retreat from the sun! The outdoor pool has a nice fountain and hot tub, too.

Our room was very clean! The beds were nice and comfortable! The only two complaints I had was that the refrigerator didn't get very cold, and the hair dryer was kind of gross. Luckily I brought my own hair dryer.

The location is perfect! Right across the street from public access to the beach, next door to The Track amusement park. A playground is located just behind the hotel (I https://hosted72.renlearn.com/707625/ it's a public park). Restaurants line the street... I recommend the Pancakery or the Donut Hole for breakfast if you don't want the free continental breakfast which was fine for a free breakfast!

All in all, we'd stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Katie N
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your detailed review of SummerPlace Inn. I can't wait to share with Jeff about your comments - as I know this will make his day! It is always so much appreciated when we know our hard work has not gone unnoticed - and to have you take the time to share such positives about us really blows us away. We can't wait to take care of you again and we hope to see you soon!