“The staff was great..very very friendly”

SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel
Ranked #13 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed 23 October 2010

I loved the staff at this hotel! When we arrived we were checked in by a very friendly person named Erica she gave a very good first impression of the hotel.. Not only was she efficient when it came to her job she attended to us with a lovely smile.
The rooms were very clean and smelled fresh and clean. The only problem I really had with the rooms is housekeeping did not come very often but perhaps this is because my son was in the room frequently he likes to sleep very late at times.
The breakfast was very good and was a big variety the one thing we did not like is when they switched from biscuits and gravy to make you're own waffles. The waffle irons timer did not work and I burnt my waffles :(
The thing that kept us from rating this hotel as perfect was not the staff but actually the management. We were on the second floor getting ready to leave and I and other guests heard cursing coming from the lobby . We looked down and seen the management was giving a staff meeting they were really letting the poor employees have it in front of the whole hotel... This was early while many people were having breakfast. I really felt sorry for the staff to be embarrassed and humiliated in this manner 3 other guests also voiced distress at the managements behavior. I truly believe this butt chewing meeting should of been done in private and if this was not possible then it should of been done when their was less traffic in the hotel.
I would come back to this hotel in a heartbeat because we really thought the staff was A-1. They treated you like family and made you feel very comfortable. Thanks Staff I had a great vacation!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2010

Thank you for sharing about your experience with SummerPlace Inn. We appreciate you taking the time to share about all the wonderful aspects of our hotel. We regret your impression of interaction with the staff. Most of our employees have been with us for over two years - and I can assure you this is because not only do we treat our guests like family - but our staff as well. This is why they choose to work here for so long. Just as our guests chose to continue to come back time after time. The family environment that we create here and the level of service and quality of product all represent the passion and care we have for our guests and employees.

Reviewed 13 October 2010

This is a very nice hotel and very good rates. The staff is wonderful, very friendly and with a professional attitude and very quick to help. Eric was very helpful to us, great employee. We spent a week and we felt like home. We had the king room with the balcony. The room was cleaned daily and they did it with great care and dedication. The hotel is very close to many restaurants. Great location! Do not believe the negative posts… We would go back in a heartbeat…..The only thing I would like to ask the management to improve is to please increase the speed of the Internet ....it is part of our daily life. Overall …the hotel made a great impression…we will be back!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2010

Thank you so much for the kind words you share about our hotel! We have so many positive reviews - and reviews such as yours let our guests know that the hotel really is as amazing as the real reviews on here show!

I appreciate you sharing about your frustration with the internet speed - and I have already made arrangements to have our wireless system tested to ensure that we fix this inconvenience ASAP! I really do appreciate you letting me know - as so often we can't always be aware of things such as this - since we can't visually inspect them!

We really do look forward to seeing you again soon. Please don't hesitate to call us directly if there is anything we can do to help!

Reviewed 22 September 2010

I was making last minute plans for a trip to celebrate a wedding anniversary and ran across this hotel on Bookit.com with a great package deal. The hotel is not difficult to find; it’s right on the parkway. It is centrally located minutes away from restaurants [(fast food, sports bars, and fine dining (Ruth Chris’ Steakhouse is across the street)], shopping malls, the harbor, and, of course, beaches. The Trak Amusement Park and Joe’s Crab Shack are literally right next door to the hotel, a plus for families with kids. The drive to the beaches is a snap, depending on which one you go to (don’t recommend walking to them -- highway is too busy at times). My husband and I went to Crystal Beach where there is a public restroom, restaurant, and covered bench area for picnics.

Some people said that the rooms are too small; they’re not. We had a balcony room with a huge king bed and a loveseat. Unless you bring everything but the kitchen sink, you got space. Also, the room was clean, and the bed was comfy.

Other convenient hotel features: indoor and outdoor pools, washer/dryer units, free breakfast (limited but adequate enough to tie you over until lunch), and free wi-fi.

Oh, and kudos to the staff - very friendly, courteous, and very helpful.

The only two things I can note that would be annoying to some but did not happen too often were the slamming guest doors (closed by themselves when you enter/exit room) and the airplanes flying overhead.

Overall, we had a wonderful time, and we would use this hotel again when we are in Destin.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2010

I wanted to thank you for sharing about your experience at SummerPlace Inn. We are so happy to hear that you had such a good experience as you celebrated your wedding anniversary. If we can ever be of service again, please don't hesitate to contact us! And don't forget, we will always match any rate you find for us online :)

Reviewed 13 September 2010

We stayed here over the Labor Day weekend. We arrived around 2am Saturday morning and was greeted by Robert--he was very courteous and professional. We loved everything about this quaint hotel.

The rooms were spotless (thanks to Francesca, great job!) beds were comfortable, bath/pools towels were clean. The morning breakfast consisted of make your own waffles, yogurt, pastries, juice, cereal, and more. It was just enough to get us up and ready for the beach.

The location couldn't be better: walking distance to Twisted Palm rest, Joe's Crab Shack and The Track (go karts plus more--check it out!). Walmart is a short drive from hotel.

On the first day we visited Henderson State Park beach ($7 parking fee). This is a really nice park however on the day we visited the ocean was full of seaweed so we didn't get the chance to enjoy the water. The next day we went to Calhoun public beach and the water was clear, :-). Both beaches are within 2 min drive from the hotel.

Wifi is provided for free in rooms as well as pool area. We had no issues connecting---great plus!

Overrall, we had a wonderful stay and wouldn't hesistant to stay here again. I saw awesome rate on priceline which was matched by the hotel, thank you Audrey!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family

It is such a pleasure to hear about the great job our team is doing to take care of each and every guest. Thank you so much for taking the time to share not only about your experience, but your service as well. I will make sure Robert is recognized for his disply of superior service, as well as Audrey, for her follow through and assurance that you had the best bargain for your Superior Stay! We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2010

Our stay at the Summerplace Inn was great! The service was top notch. I saw staff jump in and serve beyond their normal duties to ensure that guests were well taken care of. The amenities were nice and clean. The rooms were comfortable and the location was perfect--in less than one minute you can be on the beach by car and under 10 minutes by foot. The only suggestion that I would make is that a cold water dispenser is added to the breakfast bar. Otherwise, we were very pleased with the service, amenities and location of the hotel. Thanks Summerplace!! See you in October.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at SummerPlace Inn. We pride ourselves on taking care of each and every guest - and it is truly rewarding to hear that as a guest you witnessed the care and concern our staff has for our guests. I will definitely take note of your suggestion of a water dispenser in the breakfast area. We look forward to seeing you again in October (this is the staff's favorite time of year here in Destin - and we are sure you will thoroughly enjoy your time!)

Reviewed 27 August 2010

My wife and I stayed at the SummerPlace Inn for four nights at the beginning of August. The hotel is in a good location, only a short trip to the major destinations in Destin. The front desk staff was always nice and willing to accommodate. The hotel and room were both clean and updated. The room included an LCD TV and the bathroom was clean with good water pressure. The breakfast includes the typical pastries, yogurt, juices, and a waffle maker.

We only had two complaints about our stay. The first day of our stay, we had some problems getting the room cleaned. The attendant stopped by every time we had just arrived back from going out, never managing to clean the room while we were out for several hours. The room never did get cleaned that day and we had to ask the front desk for more towels. The rest of the days were fine, so I don't believe this is a systemic problem. The other complaint is the rather hard pillows. My wife and I frequently awoke with neck pain or headaches from the pillows.

The hotel is definitely worth the money. If we had brought our own pillows, we would have had a nearly perfect stay!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2010

This was our first trip to Destin, and we enjoyed it very much. I found this hotel thru Trip Advisor and called the hotel directly to book a room and was given a very good room rate. We found the hotel to be very clean and updated with upscale furnishings and amenities. The front desk girls were very helpful and friendly to me and my family and took care of our every need. The pools are very small, so if that is important to you, be aware of that. The free breakfast was the weakest part of the experience, maybe I should not complain about something that is free, but when some hotels are putting an emphasis on this part of their experience, then it needs to be spoken of. The selections were very small, and the one waffle maker was not enough even for a smaller hotel. The hotel is across from the beach, but it is across two streets and other properties, so be prepared to drive to the beach. We went to Henderson Beach State Park and loved it, it does cost money to do this, but it is well worth the cost, there are restrooms and pavilions which makes up for not being on the beach. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the Summerplace Inn and would encourage any family needing to vacation on a little smaller budget this year to take advantage of this great smaller hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2010

Thank you so much for choosing to come to Destin as a first time visitor to the area. As a community we sincerely appreciate that you selected Destin as your getaway with all that has happened this year! As the General Manager, I try to follow up with every review/guest comment - as I take these very seriously - and as a tool to make future guests stay even better. I noticed that breakfast was not your favorite part of the stay, and excluding the waffle machine, I would love to hear of other items you would have liked to see in our selection. Please feel free to email me at mistelle.langen@pinnaclehm.com. Any input is always greatly appreciated! Again, thank you for visiting Destin and for taking the time to share with others about your experience at the SummerPlace Inn.