“beautiful!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Duck Key
Sanctuary Villas at Hawks Cay
Gloucester, Virginia
“beautiful!!!”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

This is a beautiful resort!! Very clean and the staff are very friendly!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smilinva2001

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 21 September 2011

We stayed here for 6 nights in a water view room. The water view rooms overlook the adult pool and you can see the ocean through the palm trees so you don't get an 'ocean view' which i guess is why they call it water view - but the view was still lovely and there were great views of the moon and stars from the balcony - I even saw my very first shooting star :)

The room itself was to a very high standard. Beautifully furnished and very clean. The only negative comment i have regarding the rooms is regarding the air conditioning unit. It's extremely noisy. The unit starts up now and again at intervals to keep your room at the temperature you've set. So this made for a very restless night and made it difficult to sleep with the air con unit starting up every 10 mins or so through the night. Never heard an air con unit so loud in all my years of travelling - it really was extremely noisy!! Oh and our room had an inter-connecting door to the room next door. It was obviously looked but could hear conversations clearly by the guests in the room next door - really wasn't too interested in how many clean knickers she had left at 7.30 in the morning!!

The resort is stunning, immaculate even. Everything is landscaped beautifully and very clean. They have dolphins on-site and you can buy experience packages such as feeding them and and swimming with them. The were beautiful to watch. Couldn't help feeling a little sorry for them though as the enclosure is quite small and nothing fancy. They're very well look after though which is re-assuring.

There are two restaurants available in the evening. Tom's Harbour restaurant was closed for refurb during our stay which left only the Alma restaurant open. Lovely food but extremely expensive so we jumped in the car and drove into Marathon to eat for the rest of our stay. Alma do have a lounge / bar menu available though too which has some cheaper options like pizza and a burger.

There is a little beach grill / bar where you can grab lunch in the day. Fairly expensive i thought, about $15 for a sandwich and fries, but the portion is quite a decent size so me and my husband would just order the one and share.

We sunbathed by the lagoon pool during our stay. Very tranquil and serene if you don't get anyone too gobby nearby. There are loads of fish in the lagoon too. And if you hear a rustle in the bushes it's likely to be an iguana. Amazing to watch and seem to be friendly. I had one come and have a little chill next to my lounger on a couple of occasions in fact I think it was after a bit of a stroke and a pat but I just let it be and it waddled off after a bit.

You will need bug spray. I was wearing insect repellent (all over!) so no mosquito bites but was harassed by sand fleas. You get mosquitos and no-see-ums all over the keys though so just be prepared and take along repellent and some hydrocortisone cream to help with any bites, itching and swelling. (Don't think you can buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter in the UK, it may be an ingredient though for any bite creams that are available - you can get it from any pharmacy in the states).

We found all the staff we came across to be friendly and helpful.

We would definitely return (after a few queries about that air-con unit, maybe it was faulty?). I would love to stay in one of the sunset villas to watch the beautiful sunset every night but don't think it would be very cost effective for just the two of us.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nataliek
Davie, FL
Reviewed 16 August 2011

7 girls stayed here a bachlorette party! We stayed in sanctuary villas 7212, AMAZING!! The whole house was totally upgraded and we had a private pool in the back!!! I was hesitant to book at the Hawks because of all of the negative reviews, I am glad i overlooked their high maintenance reviews and went with my gut feeling , we were treated like royalty and they provided extraordinary service... We will def. go back again!
SS

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank ssandoval06
Green Oaks, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2011

We rented a Sanctuary Villa in Hawks Cay resort for our kids' spring break, and were very pleased. The villa had three bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths, its own small pool and deck, and a carport. We liked the fact that it was on a small street a little ways from the main resort; it was quieter, more like our own little house, yet only a couple of minutes' walk to the main resort, and just around the corner to the Indies Club, which was for kids. My son (14) and daughter (16) both enjoyed the club, which, while it had a kiddy pool and activities for small kids, also had a basketball court, air hockey, ping pong, etc. for the teen crowd.

The service was excellent from every employee, even down to the groundskeepers (we asked one for directions, which they gave us, and only apologized because their golf cart was too small to take us all over.

Food was quite good although of course not cheap, but if you have a car, you can easily go to Marathon (ten minutes away) which has tons of choices, and several grocery stores. There were several pools, including an adults only pool that was a 1-2 minute walk from the main pool--nice, as the adults could stay there and the teens could go to the main pool. Lots of activities available--we did a fun Segway tour of the island, the kids swam with the dolphins, we were going to go parasailing but it was cancelled two days in a row due to high winds. Snorkeling, scuba, fishing, etc. all also available.

The only negative was that the bed in the mater bedroom was unusable; hard, lumpy and uncomfortable. We had to use the spare bedroom on the first floor instead. These units are all individually owned, so it's a bit of a crap shoot on that, I guess. Otherwise, the unit was very nice--roomy, private, etc. Staff service was great--when we needed towels, etc., someone showed up so fast it seemed like they were waiting outside before we called, and we immediately received a follow up call from the front desk to make sure we had gotten what we needed.

Nice spot, especially for families.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank IMSORD
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We recently visited Hawk's Cay for a wedding and stayed in the Sanctuary Villas. The good- the renovated lobby and pool areas are casually elegant, perfect for the Keys. The bad is unfortunately a longer list. The Villa we stayed in was a 2/2, the bedrooms were tiny and the bathrooms even smaller. I'm not exaggerating when I say only one person fit in each bathroom at a time. The Villas in general need updating, at this price point the furniture and interiors should be top of the line. But the worst of the weekend was dining at the resort. I'm not a generally picky eater and even I was impressed by how poor the food was. The breakfast buffet was expensive and had fare you would expect to see at a Best Western free breakfast. The food for the wedding and every other meal we had at the resort over the weekend were equally poor. Hawk's Cay has a long way to go, until they make drastic improvements I would avoid this resort in favor of Ocean Reef, Cheeca, or some of the other smaller upscale resorts in the Keys.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mmrbluewater
Germantown, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Seemed to be a very common problem at this resort and tempers were flaring... Our villa was not clean and we were told it would be perhaps 7 pm before we could get into our unit. We were offered a different villa much further away from where we booked ours for $100 off, but declined. After much discussion, we elected to wait after we were told we could shower at the spa (not a great spa), and they gave our account $100 credit. We were also allowed to check out at one (standard late check out time). Hated to begin vacation this way, as it is uncomfortable to have these debates with staff and management when you are simply trying to ask them to honor our reservation as it was booked. The property was fine, the service was good, there was plenty to do. If I could be sure this beginning would not happen again, I would consider a repeat stay, but based upon the number of fellow travelers experiencing this same issue, I doubt it will happen. There seemed to be a shortage of front desk managers....

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank busybusymomof4
Old Saybrook, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 February 2011

The Good - The activities are great. George who runs "water sports" is fantastic and we ended up doing most of the activities he has to offer.

The Not So Good - The villa we rented had roaches (not the end of the world - fairly standard in Florida), the TV did not work, we were given only two towels for a family of 4, the blender did not work, the washer/dryer did not work and was never fixed after several attempts, several lights were out, the upstairs phone did not work, and the internet was so slow it was non usable. Add to that there are 4 restaurants but they only are open one at a time with the same menu at every serving and we ended up leaving early. One night we got to "Tom's" for dinner at 4:58 PM and we were turned away as they were "closed". They opened up at 5:00PM for dinner and the bar had been open since 4:00 - They actually sent us away because we, based on their clock, were 120 seconds early. Breakfast every morning had the exact same food - much of it cold, lunch was only served outside and had a very limited menu. Going off property meant a minimum 20 min ride either north or south.
Last point - when I brought up my concerns to Zach, the front desk manager, he had a bit of an attitude and offered me a free breakfast. I complain about limited food choices and he offers me a free breakfast - not sure if he did this to be passive aggressive or if he's just really bad at his job?

If you go for a few days then you should be OK but you should not have 4 diamond expectations.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
#5 of 19 in Islamorada
Hawks Cay Resort
Hawks Cay Resort
#1 of 2 in Duck Key

Been to Sanctuary Villas at Hawks Cay? Share your experiences!