Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Hawks Cay resort, return visit”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This was our 2nd visit to Hawks Cay from the UK and once again, most of the stay was perfect. My main bone of contention is the $29 USD a day "resort fee" If I'm paying well over $700 a night for one of the sanctuary villas which are stunning by the way, I don't expect to have to pay an additional fee. The fee is for gratuities for housekeeping and valet parking. Well, if you have a sanctuary villa you have your own drive so no requirement for valet parking. Also, in the villa the cleaning service only comes on the 4th day of your visit. Therefore, why do you have to pay this daily fee? Hawks Cay, you're letting yourself down with this resort fee which DOES NOT cover gratuities at any of the bars and restaurants. I travel all over the world on a frequent basis including other parts of the USA, Asia and Europe and I've never paid a daily fee on top of my daily hotel rate. I feel as though it's just a money making scam after receiving no real housekeeping service which this fee is supposed to cover the gratuities for

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Wayne a

Reviewed 14 April 2012

It feels almost like you are in the Caribbean. We stayed in the hotel part which seems to be more updated. The staff was very nice and we were given an upgrade at check-in. We are members of the preferred hotel group which is free to join. The pools were nice and there is an adults only pool. We enjoyed the bar and also at lunch at he pool, both were good. The view of the ocean was a little hard to see because of the palms but it was still nice to sit out on the balcony and we were given a bottle of wine for our anniversary--nice touch. We would return. They also have starbucks coffee which we enjoyed after we exercised in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Micht123
Hawkscaycc, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

Dear Micht123,

Thank you so much for your review, it’s awesome to hear back from our guests’ especially when we receive feedback such as yours. The resort is indeed a tropical little paradise that provides our guests’ a place to sit back and relax, as well as take in all its surroundings.

We are so excited you had a great experience during your stay. I totally agree with you, the poolside is the place to be, which offers great views, customer service and is family orientated as well. Also; it’s a great place for couples to enjoy themselves and take advantage of the poolside. If you are looking to spend the day at the adult pool, it is certainly a way to slip into a lovely quite escape; this is also another great way to take in the surroundings at the resort.

We do take pride and strive to offer our guest with those extra little touches based on the occasion, thank you for allowing us to be a part of your; special celebration. Best wishes to you and Happy Belated Anniversary!

Thank you again for your generous comments, and we look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I found the online reservation system to not be terribly helpful so I called the front desk before calling the reservation number and told them our situation and asked for a recommendation. They recommended the 8000 building in the Marina Village and we totally agree that it's the best. It's 1700 sq. ft. including screened in porch, 2 BD/ 2 BA and all on one level which was perfect with our 2 small girls (ages 3 and 6). King bed in the master and two twins in the second bedroom. It had a full kitchen so if you stop for some groceries you can save a boatload of money by doing breakfast, lunch (and happy hour!) in the room. The building is situated right on the Marina for easy viewing of the boats coming in and out. It's also directly across the street from a large pool, the kids pirate pool, the fitness club and spa. It really was a great set up. Only a short 5 minute walk to the main hotel area with another pool, dolphins, lagoon, etc. If you can, I'd absolutely recommend requesting this building.

A couple specifics:
- we ate off property twice and would recommend both places. Key Fisheries in Marathon and No Name Pub in Big Pine Key. Both a bit of a drive and both kind of "eclectic" - but totally worth it. We ate at Tom's Harbor House the other two nights which was fine - but nothing special. It was super convenient though.
- they Keys were only so-so for us. We travel to Sanibel regularly and much prefer the surrounding area there. We missed the beach and found off-property to be kind of run down with no real unique areas to explore (we didn't, however, make it all the way to Key West)
- had a GREAT massage. Likely best ever - ask for Jennifer
- husband took a fishing charter on I'm Hooked and would definitely recommend - caught a 100 lb. tarpon
- girls loved the dolphins. you'll have to totally suck up the ridiculous price and call it an investment in a memory because it's waaaay over priced, but well worth the smiles.
- they were super accommodating for an early check in and late check out. Just have to ask and they will do it if they can.

Great trip all in all - would certainly head back to the resort again - just not sure the Keys would be on our repeat list just yet.

1  Thank PLOTs_travel

Dear PLOTs,

Thank you so much for your feedback, what a delight to hear back from you. I’m so happy to hear you found the Marina Village to be the perfect get away with its spacious & well designed rooms. It’s a delight to know the resort met your accommodations you requested. I couldn’t have described what the resort has to offer any better myself. It is indeed the perfect location to all the surrounding activities. It’s great to hear you and your family was able to take advantage of so many.

It’s also,nice to hear you where able to take advantage of other dining options off of the property, both of them are fun places to experience, and I’m sure you found both of them to have their own Keys style. Even though the resort does offers several dining options to choose from, some of our guests do like to travel to other locations and experience a little more taste of the keys. I would like to brag on a couple of dining options the resort has to offer such as Alma’s, which offers a phenomenal relaxed atmosphere that is perfect for intimate gatherings, romantic meals with loved ones, or if you are looking for more of a casual kicked back environment, the Beach Grill has the tropical toe’s in the sand feel that offers a new expansive menu for our guest, just to name a bit.

I'm so excited to hear how impressed you are with the Calm Waters Spa; I must say I totally agree with you, it’s my favorite place on the resort. I also had Jennifer during a visit to the spa and indeed she does a phenomenal job, we’ll be sure to share this with her.

Thank you for your comments regarding the beaches, I would like mention to other travelers who plan to visit the Keys we are only a short drive from some very unique beaches, Coco Plum, Sombrero Beach and not to mention one of my favorites Bahia Honda.

Again thank you so much for your generous feedback, and we look forward to hosting you and your family again in the Florida Keys.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I travelled to the Hawks Cay Resort from April 2nd-6th with my husband and 23 month old daughter. We had a wonderful time and I would definitely go back. Housekeeping and room service were a bit strange. I will report the highlights and strange points.

The highlights of Hawks Cay included the following:

Our room- We had rm # 2324, which I believe was a Premium King room. it was a large room with plenty of room for the three of us. i bring a travel crib when I am on vacation. I stuck it near the entry door so that when it was time to go to bed , my husband and i could still move around, turn a light on, use the bathroom, and sit on the balcony, while our darling slept. the room had a huge balcony overlooking the pool, Florida Bay, bridge on US 1, lagoon, and a channel. I thought the view was lovely. I spent a lot of time on my balcony.

The bathroom is large and Tommy Bahama toiletries were provided. A keurig coffee machine and refrigerator are provided. I brought additional K-cups and creamers. I brought down an 18 pack of beer, wine, and some breakfast items like pop tarts, juice boxes, cereal, and granola bars too. I wanted to save m,oney on breakfast and not have to bring a toddler out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you bring clear plastic dixie cups in a 16 oz size, you will not get questioned when you bring your own beer to the pool. When I brought mine down in a red solo cup, a waitress subtly told me that she would pour my beer into their plastic cup ( clear) bc outside food and drinks are not allowed at the pool. If you are a fan of bud, bud light, or michelob ultra aluminum bottles, I would buy those at Publix on the way down bc Hawks Cay serves those at their pool and no one would be the wiser. I did order mixed drinks and beer at the pool and they are a little pricey, but what do you expect. The mango mojitos were delish!

If you charge things at the pool or any Hawks Cay resaturant to your room on your room card, tip is included. That is a bit unclear at check in, but a waitress kindly reminded us.

Sanctuary pool- This is the adults only pool. It is stunning. I got to spend time here while my hu8sband and daughter were napping. So relaxing. Bring a camera over there bc there are some very interesting lizards in the bushes around the area and the setting is gorgeous.

The Terrace Restaurant- We had a nice lunch here and a great waitress named Beth. The food is a little pricey, but we frequently dine in Manhattan so it was not shocking. It was nice to not have to leave the resort for lunch.

Pool service- Also had great food. It was a good idea for my antsy toddler who was getting tired of having to sit at restaurant tables.

Sunset Cruise- Awesome. We had outstanding weather and the two individuals were very friendly and accomodating. I wish I could remember their names. They will take pictures for you and play whatever song they have on their stereo for you. there was plenty of room to move around the boat. Cans of domestic beer, chardonnay, and sparkling wine were included in the price as was soda and water.

Dolphin Experience- Again, pricey, but wonderful. We did the dockside dolphins program. You really are only on the dock with the dolphins for about 10-12 minutes, but it was cool. My daughter finally pet a dolphin at the end. I was annoyed that you cannot bring a camera on the dolphin dock. They have a photographer that charges you 16 bucks per picture. Irritating. My husband said that had he known, he would have rather skipped the experience and stood in the viewing area with his awesome camera and taken pics of our daughter from there. However, the tall blonde trainer that we had was probably put on this earth to be a dolphin trainer and work with people because she was absolutely perfect for her job.

Maintenance- We had a problem with our bathroom faucet. After we called the front desk, a nice man from Leeds, England fixed it within the hour.

Strange things........

Housekeeping- very inconsistent. One day, no one picked up the 6 empty beer bottles on the dresser and put 3 keurig cups and just 2 creamers on the dresser. Who doesn't get a second cup of coffee or not get to cream it? I read about this before I came to Hawks Cay and brought k-cups and mini moos. Another day no one cleaned up the Cheerio dust the my daughter left on the coffee table. Water was all over the bathrrom counter one day. As my husband put it "they tidy up, but do not clean". Just weird.

Room Service- no in room dining menu was provided in our room. My husband went to the front desk to get the pizza delivery menu. We selected a Meat Lovers pizza and were told that " that is only delivered to the villas" What? It does not say that on the menu and not to mention it is plain stupid. How hard is it to deliver a meat pizza versus a cheese pizza?

Overall, I am very glad that I stayed here and would stay here again. if you are thinking of staying here, read the reviews, take the reviewers advice and you will have a good time.

Other than the "pizza night" we dined off premises. I highly recommend the Island Fish Company in Marathon and the Wreck Galley and Grill which is less than 5 min from Hawks Cay.

4  Thank Yankees21
Hawkscaycc, Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Yankees21,

What an awesome review! Thank you so much for providing other fellow travelers with your gracious feedback. It sounds like you took full advantage of the activities the resort has to offer our guest. Kudos’s to you! There is definitely plenty of action happening at the resort, and thank you for sharing this information with other fellow travelers. It’s always such a delight to hear back from our guest; especially when they describe how satisfied they were during their stay with us.

I’m so glad you were impressed with the poolside and the service provided to you during your stay. Also; it sounds like you took advantage at the poolside, enjoying the warm tropical breeze while soaking up the sun, not to mention the extraordinary view. We can’t say enough about those delicious Mango Mojitos but, you said it for us, delish! Indeed, at the poolside you can enjoy your favorite beverage of your choice, with so many different one’s to choose from. I would like to clarify one thing for other fellow travelers; we do have a model standard we follow at the resort for food and beverage by the poolside. This is simply a way we can monitor the intake one might consume for our guest’s protection, as well as the resort. I apologize; if perhaps you might have been miss lead or guided in the wrong direction. Without having this model in place, I’m sure you can understand, it would make it very difficult for us to achieve and maintain the safety of our guest.

It’s also; good to hear the resort fee and gratuity was a convenience for you during your stay. We strive to exceed our guest expectations, and this is another little way for us to help the guest just to kick back, relax and have a worry free vacation.

Thank you again for comments and it has been a pleasure to host you in the Florida Keys.

Cheers,

Reviewed 13 April 2012

We had never been to the Keys and had no idea what to expect. We loved Hawks Cay Resort and would definitely go back! First off, every staff member from the front desk to the pool side staff to the tram drivers, etc. were very friendly and helpful. I have to say the service at Hawks Cay was outstanding! There are plenty of fun options when staying at Hawks Cay - snorkeling, scuba diving, jet skis, swimming with the Dolphins, tennis, kayaking, organized kids' activities, or just relaxing by one of the four pools or lagoon! We also ventured out of Hawks Cay for some time at the beach, golfing and a visit to Key West. The location of this resort is right in the middle of the Keys - which makes it very convenient! We would love to come back to the Keys and Hawks Cay again!

1  Thank Mary W

Dear Mary W.,

Thank you for sharing with us and other travelers coming to the Keys your experiences. We are so glad you chose us to be your final destination. We cannot wait for you to visit us again! It also sounds like you were able to take in some activities the resort has to offer. You said it the best, there are plenty of options to choose from at the resort, one certainly has the option to have a jam packed filled vacation full of activities, but most of the time we find the guest tells us, there are so many activities to choose from they can’t fit them all in. All though you can also enjoy doing nothing at all but relax by one of the four pools.

The resort is definitely in a great location, and sits right in the middle of the Keys which make travel convenient for our guest to explore other areas of the keys. I ‘m glad you had the opportunity to venture out to other areas in the Keys.

It has been such a delight to host you in the Florida Keys and to hear you plan to join us again in the future.

Cheers,
Cindy.carter@hawkscay.com

Reviewed 12 April 2012

Just got back from Spring break with the kids. Were from CA. I have to say this place exceeded my expectations for a Florida Keys resort. I felt as if I traveled to a much farther Caribbean island resort…no joke. The lagoon is so fun for the kids. We were on the farthest side of the lagoon and still a waitess came by every 10mins to keep us happy and 16oz domestic beers at $5 was more than fair delivered to my lounge chair. The room we got for a standard room did not have a balcony but it had a huge upscale bath, although the water pressure was low. We wanted a balcony and the resort found us one for no additional charge, but we didn't end up moving since we liked our room’s bigger size. The many pools and pirate ship pool Kids Club was really fun for the kids. We even had fun riding the tram around the resort property because the drivers were so friendly playing carribean music. There are some signs that the hotel gets some abuse but its minor. I loved the boat rental getting to captain my own boat for only $219 for 1-5pm. Being a boat owner and knowing what they cost, getting my own boat to explore the keys on all afternoon for that price is fabulous, however make sure you know boating. There are some currents and shallow areas around the reefs. A lack of experience could be bad so if your not comfortable they do have a boat they will take you snorkeling on for only like $45. All in all I made some great memories with the kids and don't really have any complaints. I guess the only thing I didn’t like was the Beach Bar (affordable) closed at 7:30pm and the only option around the pool and fire at night was the high end restaurant. My wife got 2 Mohitos to go and it totaled out at $30. However this same restaurant made a great pizza to go that we would take by the fire pit at night and eat under the stars with the kids. I will most definitely be back.

Room Tip: In the main hotel, there are some rooms more updated than others so ask about that.