“Excellent for Families”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just back from 6 night stay at Hawks Cay with 14 and 7 year old son and daughter. Was fabulous stay for all of us. We booked standard hotel room in main building and we got put on the first floor where our room opened right out onto the main pool which was great! Kids woke up in the morning and ran right out into the pool. Our room had a large porch and deck area so the adults could stay in the shade and still see kids in the pool area. Saltwater lagoon is great and kids loved kayaking and boarding around in that. My daughter loved finding shells right there in the lagoon. My daughter also liked the big iguanas around the perimeter of the property and we spotted an octopus right off the seawall of the hotel. Tarpon swim right off the dock at the marina.

Room Tip: Families should stay on first floor of hotel facing main pool if want to walk right out onto pool de...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

It is always rewarding to hear when a guest enjoys their time with us and we greatly appreciate your review. It seems like you and your family really made the most out of your stay and it was a pleasure to accommodate you. Thank you for review and we hope you'll stay with us at the Hawks Cay Resort again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,854)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

When we checked in for our 3 night stay over the 4th of July, no one mentioned the problems with the Sunset Villas. Apparently,every villa is wit high phone, internet and cable tv. They would not offer any discount , nor would they move us to a room which worked, because they didn't have any. When I asked how long until they had things fixed, and I was told it would be months. For $400 a night, expect internet and cable for the kids. I will stay at Cheeca Lodge from now on.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank S J

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent trip to the Florida Keys. We are committed to providing our guests with great accommodations to ensure that their visit is the best it can be and we truly apologize for any inconveniences that impacted your stay. Your comments about the phone, internet and cable service to your villa have been forwarded to our IT team so that it may be addressed. We hope you will stay with us again and give us an opportunity to provide you with a stay that goes beyond your expectations.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

As some others have stated in reviews of Hawks Cay, this resort is a mixed bag. My hubby and I along with grandkids ages 7 and 10 spent 5 nights in a Sunset Villa. The Sunset Villa was perfect for us. We were 20 steps from the pool! While the on-site restaurant selections were fine, they are limited after you've had several meals there. For the resort cost and resort fee, charging extra for activities at the Kid's Club and for 30 minutes on a paddle board or kayak in the lagoon seemed silly and a bit insulting. Would we go again? Maybe, if we were traveling with a large family group and had the money to burn.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with kids who love pool time, try a sunset villa location.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 2fromTexas1950
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent trip to the Florida Keys. Although it was nice to know that you appreciated the comfort of our Sunset Villas, we do regret that you didn’t find our outdoor amenities to be of good value and we do apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered. We hope that the next time you are visiting the Keys you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just took a trip to Costa Rico total cost with airfare for 6 nights $667.00. 4 nights at hawk Cay 2 bedroom condo,my share $575.00, total cost $2200. Not worth it! I had to put money on my room key which I didn't mind until I had an alert that they charged me an additional $150. For what who knows. When I asked them to refund me money now I was told I would have to leave resort if I checked out now and receive my credit. Really they must need the money. So I can't wait to leave, not my ideal place to stay. If you stay watch the charges, they are sneeky. Oh and the kitchen is not very well equipped not even a pan for the oven. It's ashame I have to leave the USA for a decent vacation and not get ripped off. Shame on you hawks cay!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Patsy P

Thank you for sharing your perspective of our resort. It is disappointing to learn your stay was not as you expected and we’re truly sorry. We will review your comments with our team as we continually strive to provide the highest level of customer satisfaction for our guests. We appreciate your review and we hope that you’ll allow us another opportunity to welcome you back again the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

From the moment we got there, we were treated astounding. Every employee that you ran into says hi and ask if everything was ok. The place has five pools one for kids one for whole family one for adults only and a couple down further at the resort. Don't forget the spa. The prices are high for drinks. For a large piña colada and blood Mary it was $28. The food at oceans for dinner was good but also expensive . We had a pizza pepperoni and sausage. The crust is thin, so good we got two more the next night .Our waiter was really slow took him forever to do something we asked for. He was the only one we had any problem from. Know they have a breakfast buffet for $20 per person. It was some of the best food I ever had, it was all high quality. I would recommend this place highly

Stayed: July 2014

We couldn't be more pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay here at Hawks Cay Resort. We are committed to providing our guests with superior service to ensure their visit is the best it can be and we are pleased to hear that we did just that. It was wonderful to learn that you enjoyed our delicious restaurants and our rejuvenating Calm Waters Spa. Thank you for your great review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just got back from our June 2014 stay at Hawks Cay and enjoyed every minute. From the Doormen when you arrive, the Front Desk, Wait staff to the pool staff we were not disappointed. Well cared for although busy and great choices to eat or play. Great for family's as we had our grandson's. Easy access to Marathon and other activities. Thanks to all for a great time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review. It was wonderful to have you here and your kind comments about our staff and resort are very much appreciated as this is the experience we strive to deliver to all of our guests. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hawks Cay Resort on your next visit.

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Overall we were very pleased with Hawks Cat. My granddaughter was thrilled she had a bunk bed to sleep in. Room was clean and the bathroom updated. We did have a problem getting clean towels. We also had a o problem with our clock radio. I called the front desk and they said they would send maintenance. They never came. Food was good. Service was a little slow. But hey we're in the Keys.
They had great activities for the kids. Some for extra money. My seven year old granddaughter had a blast.
Overall beautiful resort. It
had a very tropical feel at night with all the tiki torches and beautiful sunsets. I would definitely stay again if planning a trip to the the Keys.

• Stayed: June 2014

We are delighted to have you and your granddaughter stay with us at the Hawks Cay Resort. Although we appreciate the positive remarks regarding our resort, it was disappointing to hear that your stay with us was not as anticipated. Your feedback will allow us to identify areas where we can make improvements. Thank you for your review and we hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back for another relaxing getaway.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
Amara Cay Resort
#5 of 19 in Islamorada
The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marathon
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!