“Beautiful Resort!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
“Beautiful Resort!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

From the time we arrived till the time we left Hawks Cay exceeded our expectations! Its absolutely beautiful! We stayed in a King Island View and the room was way bigger and better then the pictures online showed! We also had a huge private walk out patio! The staff was amazing! The only issue we had was how expensive the food was at all of the restaurants. Which would be fine if there was a little more of a selection! However we found plenty of great places to eat fresh seafood around the resort in neighboring towns! Over all we will definitely come back and recommend to all family and friends!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Megan S
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your review and recommendation. We are delighted that you enjoyed the beauty and comfort of our resort. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Hawks Cay Resort on your next trip to the Florida Keys.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,166)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 11 July 2014

There were more than enough activities available at the resort to keep our whole family entertained. We stayed in the sunset villas which have my family enough room to be comfortable for a week, a kitchen to prepare food, and a backyard with an amazing view. The staff at the resort was accommodating and friendly. The on-site restraunts are pricey, but there are plenty of other more reasonably priced restraunts 10-15 minutes away in Marathon. Overall, it was a great vacation and we can't wait to return next summer.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank mmfratus
We are delighted you had the opportunity to stay at Hawks Cay Resort. It was great to have you and your family here and we thank you for your wonderful comments and photo. We are always happy to learn when a guest’s experience is reflective of the high standards of customer service that we strive to achieve. It will be our pleasure to welcome you and your family back next summer.
roma
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Very nice resort, friendly staff and we stayed two families in such a nice villa, with private pool and fully equipped. Enjoyed the many amenities of the resort, the only negative point is that you cannot have a swim in the sea, though this is pretty common on the keys.

Room Tip: Go for the villa!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank giagar69
It was wonderful to have you and your family here at Hawks Cay Resort and your kind comments about our staff and resort are very much appreciated as this is the experience we strive to deliver to all of our guests. We are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy many of our amenities and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area.
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Hawks Cay Resort is in our plans every summer ! It's a great place for families of all sizes, something for everyone. The villas are the best way to go. Bring easy foods to throw in the crockpot, enjoy the day then pop in for dinner. Or, order a pizza on the pool deck. Parents be sure to check out the serenity pool area with private firepit after the kids go to bed. Love this place!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Charlene M
At Hawks Cay Resort, we offer our guests the perfect retreat for having fun or just relaxing. We are delighted that you enjoyed the comfort and convenience of staying in our villas. Thank you for sharing your review and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Four of us (12 and 14 year old boys and my wife and I) stayed at the Marina villas (6012). Internet is terrible and we complained they said they would send someone and never did. Other guests in different areas of resort said the same at times. They came into our villa and made bed and gave towels but didn't tell us. I called and said I do not want any service unless I requested and asked for their assurance they would not come into our villa (we have jewelry etc. out) they said "absolutely"...two days later they came in while we were gone. I called again now a little upset. There are NO beaches at this resort, only the lagoon. There are NO snorkel areas on the resort. The channel that goes around the lagoon is for boats...no swimming except lagoon and pool. There are no fishing areas here..not off the dock..no where. All the activities they mention like parasailing, snorkeling, etc. happen outside of the resort. It's not like you are going to see these activities as a bystander while at the resort.The resort is not for teenagers...nothing to do. The resort is great for older (50 plus couples) who want to hangout and do nothing. It works for small children (if you want to hang at the pool). I am not sure what the resort fee is for? We paid over 400 bucks a night in July...hot hot hot and muggy. Hawks Cay has a brochure with their name scratched in the sand of an ocean surf hitting the beach....(no beach here) and it wasn't from the lagoon. Misleading?The art rendering diagram of the resort shows a much larger lagoon than what it really is. Kayaks for the lagoon is $10 for 30 minutes...$6.00 beers (beer snobs beware...no IPA on this resort..hope you like bud light). They have kona and landshark lager and keywest ale is all. Our villa is clean and nice although 2nd bedroom has no furniture so you have to live out of your suitcase. Did I mention the internet sucks? The Ocean restaurant has decent breakfast but service is less than expected. The towel guys and doorman where the friendliest. The restaurant staff except for one guy was disappointing (ocean restaurant). We only ate breakfast there and never saw a manager. Its a very nice and well kept resort in my opinion, not withstanding the incorrect assumptions I had of what you can do at the resort. We have a nice full kitchen with very little cooking ware....There is a small store at the marina side with extremely over priced groceries (12 miles or more to the nearest grocery store). I do not recommend Sunset villas as its the furthest away from the main resort and kinda barren. The following comments are not about Hawks Cay: My fault for coming in July. If I were to come back to the keys I would go straight to Key west, stay in a hotel and go to the Dry Tortuga and then go home. If you are in your twenties...go to key west and drink and party. I travel a lot and the "island mentality" of the restaurants, business and employees is just an excuse for poor service. Google florida keys attractions and what returns from your search is "all you can do" Again, I am glad I came to the keys because I never have been here and I am glad I stayed at Hawks Cay compared to other options I had (although I would try Tranquility bay resort next). I just want to set accurate expectations of what is available to do while here. Hawks Cay is great if you have a boat, lots of money and want to go out of the resort to snorkel, scuba or fish.

Room Tip: Marina villas with a view of the Marina is the best place to stay.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Russell B
Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments in regards to your stay. We are committed to providing our guests with great customer service and amenities to ensure that their visit is the best it can be. Your comments will be shared with our management staff so that we can identify areas where we can make improvements. We do apologize for any difficulties or frustrations you and your family may have experienced and we hope to welcome you back again and regain your trust.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 July 2014

As a native South Floridian having only visited the Florida Keys once (i.e., Key West in July 2010), this was our first family trip to the Keys, and we were looking for a resort that my husband and our two children (ages 2 & 4) could enjoy. I started this review on our day of arrival, and figured I would add information as our trip progressed to detail the experience as best as possible. Our stay was from 07/03/2014 through 07/06/2014.

Although rates online through the resort's website were significantly high and a travel agent I was working with to help us find a last-minute getaway for the Fourth of July Holiday told us there were no rooms available, I called the resort directly and spoke with Andrew P., who was extremely helpful and booked us for a 3 night stay in an Island View Jr. Suite (at a lower rate than was posted online, after checking available Florida Resident and Military Discount rates). His description of the room was exactly how it appeared when we arrived. Andrew also sent me an e-mail with all of the flyers guests would receive at check-in that detailed all of the resort's special activities for the holiday weekend, including restaurant specials. He invited me to contact him directly with any questions, and did so twice. He was extremely helpful, and was able to add an additional night to our stay.

The Island View Jr. Suites are located in the main hotel, which allows for easy access to everything in this sprawling resort. The room was spacious with a unique L-Shaped layout, and had a living room with a sofa that pulled out to a full-size bed, a coffee table, sitting chair, and dresser complete with flat panel TV, small safe, and a Keurig coffee maker. There was a foyer and a large closet near the entrance complete with two plush robes. Just off the living room was a large bathroom with a huge glass-enclosed shower (with a built-in seat). Around the corner (and slightly out of view from the living room) was a king bed and another flat-panel TV with nightstands, and a large working desk. There were two sliding glass doors that led out to a huge furnished balcony overlooking the resort grounds, which are beautiful. The room was on the first floor, which allowed access to a small staircase that led to the resort grounds, so you could bypass the lobby altogether (although the lobby is beautiful).

Unfortunately, we had to change rooms because the pull-out sofa bed (that our children were to sleep on) was damaged and irreparable. The mattress was very thin and "springy" and the lining of the bed frame was literally shredded. Although they offered to place the mattress on the floor or bring us two rollaway beds, we asked to be changed to another room. They initially offered us a smaller room a few doors down that had two queen beds, and assured they would reduce and adjust the rate accordingly. Although that room would have been acceptable if it were just my husband and I, we really desired more space. The Supervisor Timothy was exceptional, and upgraded us (free of charge) to a two-bedroom/2.5 bath two-story "Sunset Villa" that was amazing. Although we initially were told there would be a $20 fee per night to upgrade, Timothy waived this, as the whole process of locating and moving to another room took about 2.5 hours and we lost a good portion of our first afternoon at the resort (after having booked an additional night so we would have more time to enjoy the resort), however Timothy was very empathetic and waived the fee.

The Sunset Villa was approximately 1000 square feet, and had a large living/dining area, a stackable washer/dryer, a spacious and modern kitchen complete with everything needed to prepare meals and stainless steel appliances (including a range, microwave, and refrigerator/freezer with ice maker), a half-bath, and a large furnished deck with our own backyard, right on the water with amazing sunset views downstairs. Upstairs, we had one bedroom with two twin beds and a connected bathroom with a tub/shower combo, a second bedroom with a queen bed and another connected bathroom with tub/shower combo, and another furnished deck off the master bedroom upstairs. As another reviewer mentioned, the upstairs bedrooms were a bit small, but served our needs well. The closet in the room with two twin beds was oddly laid out and appeared unfinished. It was a walk-in closet, but lacked a door and it was challenging to access the clothes-hanging rod because there was a large dresser placed sideways on an elevated platform. Both upstairs bedrooms also had flat panel televisions, however there were less channels available on the upstairs television sets. There is a Winn-Dixie and Publix Grocery Store about 10 minutes up the road in Marathon Key. You cannot grill at the Villas, but there are grills dockside, which are not too far.

The only cons to the Sunset Villa (in my opinion) is that the room was not spotlessly clean upon our arrival, and full housekeeping service is only available for an additional charge of $35.00 per night (to my knowledge, full housekeeping service would have been included in the daily $29 resort fee, had we stayed in the main hotel). They also do not come daily to even empty the trash or to replenish towels, although you can call and ask for more towels.

If you are traveling with very young children and are staying in a Sunset Villa, you may want to bring your own safety gate for the stairs and a bedrail (if you need them). The resort will provide a pack-n-play, however I am not sure if there is a charge. Interestingly, our villa (5051), also seemed to be the only one lacking a ceiling fan on the lower and upper decks, and the toilet paper roll holder in the downstairs bathroom was falling off the wall. One of two chaise lounges on the lower deck had a very large tear in it. I notified the front desk of the damaged chaise on our second morning and told them although we did not need a replacement, I wanted them to be aware that we did not damage the chaise and asked them to remove it from the deck, as it was a safety hazard, and they did so promptly.

This resort has lots of great amenities and beautiful grounds to explore. Unfortunately, our kids did not enjoy the pirate-ship themed pool area (which is really a splash park) that much, because there were several older children who were not mindful of younger children running and horse-playing. However, the more relaxing and still family-friendly Indies Pool was wonderful. We had lunch at the Beach Grill, which was very nice, although the menu was limited and service was fair.

Altogether, the resort has five pools plus their own saltwater lagoon, and only a couple of the pools are designated for adults only. One tip for a fun and cost-effective activity for kids and adults alike is to walk over to the Dockside Store, purchase a bag of frozen shrimp for $2, add a bit of water to the bag for easy separation, and use the bait to feed the large fish right near the dock. They also have a small ice cream stand next to the Dockside Store, however in my opinion, the selection was limited and the man working the counter does not seem happy to be there.

As much as I wanted to try out the "Calm Waters" spa at the resort (the spa menu was quite extensive and offered a myriad of unique treatments), I simply could not justify the cost (it was more costly than the Bliss Spa and the 4 Seasons in Chicago). Although they are running a special for the summer that allows guests to book two 25-minute treatments for $125, I still could not justify this. A $55 manicure and $70 pedicure just seems outrageous to me. I did not want to run the risk of being disappointed after spending so much for a treatment. In my opinion, the only reasonably priced spa menu items were the eye brow wax for $20, and the makeup lesson and application for about $90.

I noticed some other reviewers posted that the lagoon is smaller in-person in comparison to the pics on their website, and unfortunately, I must agree. The water also appears murky in-person, and not crystal clear with blue-green water as seen on the website. Another minor con (and I wish to emphasize that I don't believe its fair to believe that everything is perfect, and the "cons" I am noting thankfully were not major), was that not all staff we encountered were very pleasant. Service at the Beach Grill was mediocre, and the lady working the Starbucks counter in the gift shop seemed very irritable. However, the front desk, bell staff, maintenance, Supervisors, and most others we encountered were very friendly. In addition to Andrew P., and Timothy, Beth Ann at the Indies Club (the kids club) was a true pleasure to interact with. I saw her working long hours at various locations and she always greeted us and even told us how much she loves working at the resort. Unfortunately, our children did not get to enjoy the Kids Camp (children must be 5 to participate), however Beth Ann noted that if she did not have campers, she would open the camp room to our children. They do also offer babysitting services (we did not use them), although I would personally request Beth Ann if I did. I wish they would add some toddler programs. Our kids enjoyed the "Sandy Candy" making activity, that allowed them to make their own pixie sticks (note that most of the activities at the Indies Club cost extra). For example, the candy-making activity cost $4 per pixie stick, or two for $7, and the tie-dye shirt activity cost $20.00 per shirt.

One of the activities we were most excited about was the Dolphin Encounter, and Hawks Cay has several programs to choose from. Unfortunately, we were limited, as most of the Dolphin Encounter sessions had been booked out for the holiday, which is understandable. Due to the age of our children, we were limited to one type of Dolphin Encounter, that took place dockside and did not permit even the adults accompanying children to have a moment actually inside the water. The cost is $60 per person, irrespective of age. We initially were told we would have to split into pairs (due to limited availability), however a party of 3 did not show up last minute and we were able to enjoy this activity together. I wish the programs lasted a bit longer, as each session begins with a 10-minute informational session where they go over the rules, and the interactional component lasted only 20 minutes. I also think they should book less families per session, and offer more session times, as our family had to "share" a dolphin with another family, which further limited the time we were able to spend actually interacting with the dolphins. Also, they hold these sessions rain or shine, although they will cancel if there is lightning. It was raining a bit during our session, which may be uncomfortable for some and they do not offer refunds once you pay at check-in for the session and enter their outdoor classroom. During the "Dockside" program, you use hand gestures to get the Dolphins to do tricks and feed them. FYI - You can also visit the dolphins in their lagoon during your stay, without actually booking an interactional program. Others recommended checking out some of the other Dolphin Encounter Programs in nearby Marathon (the one at the neighboring Dolphin Research Center looked great), however it didn't seem like we would save much. Although a program at a nearby location would have allowed us to actually get into the water with our toddlers and they had lower pricing for children, the encounter at another location would have ended up costing us about $110 more for the whole experience. However, it might have been worth it, as I think for the cost of the programs at Hawks Cay, each family should get more time with the Dolphins. I was a bit disappointed. You cannot take your own photos, however they have a photographer available and the cost for digital photos is a bit much. They do email you some low-resolution photos (I'm not sure if they do this only if you actually purchase photos, but if you just want the digital photos to upload to Facebook, etc., and would like to save money, you might ask if these photos are automatically provided).

I would highly recommend this resort for holiday travel if you want to avoid tense, large crowds. One thing Hawks Cay Resort does very well, is operates their resort seamlessly, even on the busiest of holidays, as it never felt crowded at all. We had no trouble finding a lounge seat or chair, and the fireworks display at the resort was exclusive, and although a bit short, the experience was amazing because the fireworks were directly overhead. It was so convenient taking the short walk from the Sunset Villas to the main pool area to see the fireworks show, the spirit was contagious, the band by the pool was great, and there were no fighting crowds, coming or going. Although the resort offers tram service, it was no more than a 5-10 minute walk through the lush, tropical grounds to most anywhere on property. My husband and 4 year-old used the tram once because it was raining.

On our last full-day at the resort, we wanted some dining and shopping recommendations, and it was impossible to get access to the concierge desk. I attempted to Google some reviews, but the wi-fi service was spotty at best, as was the cell signal. If you must do any sort of work remotely during a visit, please keep this in mind. I called the front desk 3 times and could not get any recommendations by phone. I should also mention that our in-room phones did not work at all during our stay, and this problem was not corrected, despite my calling the hotel directly twice from my cell phone (when I was able to get signal). I walked over to the concierge desk, and was not even acknowledged before the concierge left the desk and did not return 10 minutes later. Although a front desk agent attempted to assist me, he was not familiar with the area and simply performed the same Google searches that I did. If you are not familiar with the area, I would highly recommend conducting your research in advance. Some places we visited in Marathon included a bakery/ice-cream shop (that was adorable and delicious, with great key lime pie) called "Sweet Savannah's" in Marathon, as well as Island Fish Company in Marathon, which was a great place for dinner that was family-friendly and right on the water with amazing sunset views (the kids loved being able to purchase handfuls of fish food for 25 cents). Also on our last night, we were looking for another amazing seafood restaurant, and decided initially on "Keys Fisheries" in Marathon, as the reviews were great. However, a charter boat Captain at the resort recommended a restaurant called Lazy Days (which has locations in Islamorada and Marathon). We dined at the location in Marathon, and unfortunately, it was terrible (see the separate review).

All in all, we will return to Hawks Cay, and I would recommend this resort to anyone. On our day of departure, we felt sad to leave. I appreciate that they also waived the resort fee at check out, due to our lack of working in-room phones, very limited wi-fi access, and poor cell signal. As other reviewers also suggested, be sure to review your invoice carefully. We were charged double what we should have been for one of the activities our children participated in at the Indies Club, although this was corrected as soon as I pointed it out. I do not believe they did this intentionally at all, and they were quick and apologetic to rectify the problem. It was a wonderful stay overall, and we cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: -Avoid a main hotel room facing the pool, as it may get very noisy. In the main hotel, request a roo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank superlady44
Thank you for your detailed review. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and your family at Hawks Cay Resort. We are delighted you had the chance to enjoy some of our amenities during your visit along with our 4th of July fireworks. It’s rewarding to hear that you found some of our staff to be helpful and we will share your comments with them. Your feedback regarding the Wi-Fi connection and phone service in your guest room have been addressed with our management team and we do apologize for any frustrations this may have caused you. As part of our renovations, we are the process of rewiring our Wi-Fi and phone lines at our resort. We hope that the next time you are visiting the Florida Keys you will allow us the privilege of welcoming you back.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We came back to this resort after first visiting 7 years ago, we enjoyed it then and we also enjoyed it this time. There had been some changes over this time and we were aware of the refurbishment and restaurant changes. Overall we were very happy with everything. The rooms in the hotel were spacious and amazingly comfy beds. The facilities were nice and the restaurants were of an excellent quality and the staff always willing to help, especially when my son was going fishing and needed breakfast quickly before he left at 6.50am and breakfast didn't start till 7 , they also suggested he pack a sandwich for lunch on the boat, excellent. Also the chef Trevor was a star and prepared the dolphin fish caught that day, we had an amazing fresh fish dinner and this really made our stay. the bars were efficient and welcoming and great atmosphere in the bar showing the World Cup along with good music and cocktail bar in the evening. one criticism though, that needs to be looked at and improved, was the allowance of swimming in the family pool after 8 in the evening. After a lovely day relaxing you change for dinner and the two restaurants are near the pool, along with the fire pit for relaxing around with drinks to listen to the music. this proves difficult when you have kids and adults running and lounging a round in wet costumes? I think they need to decide what kind of atmosphere they are trying to create, as you have a fine dining restaurant charging premium prices overlooking pool a activity??? Apart from this we would recommend this hotel it's provides a lovely facility half way down the keys, we will be back.

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel and not the villas
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cindy P
Welcome back! It is wonderful to learn you enjoyed your stay at Hawks Cay Resort as well as our wonderful staff and relaxing atmosphere. We are happy to hear that the service provided to you by one of our chefs was excellent and we will share your comments with him. Thank you and we look forward to having you here again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
Village at Hawks Cay Villas by Keys Caribbean
Lime Tree Bay Resort
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!