“Hit or miss...I got lucky.”
Review of Hawks Cay Resort

Hawks Cay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Duck Key
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed here recently as a family in three different condos. My parents in one, my sister and her family in another, and we were in the third. I was a little worried at the outset because it took us FOREVER (Ok, 2 hours, but still...) to get checked in, and NO, we weren't there before the check in time. It was kind of a mess for a while. Once we finally did get that ironed out, though, things were better. Our condo was nicely decorated and very comfortable. Everything worked just fine. My parent's condo was decorated out of a Miami Vice episode (hysterical), and the Internet, TV, and phones were just weird overall. The restaurants were nice, the service decent (everything was very busy, we were there in March) and while things were pricey nothing was off the charts. There is a place for teens to hang out and play basketball and eat pizza that the kids enjoyed. We went for the fishing, and had a good time. It wasn't the greatest fishing in the world (I live in Costa Rica, so not much is going to live up to the fishing here :-) but it was far from bad and our guides were knowledgable about the waters and accommodating to the different levels of skill in the boat. I heard some people commenting on different aspects of their experience, and it wasn't so great, but we had a good time. My daughter enjoyed the dolphin experience, but said that she probably wouldn't do it again as she had had a better experience at Atlantis in the Bahamas. I'm not sure, but this property seems like a condo/timeshare/hotel setup, so there are quite a few places for glitchy service and maintenance to creep in. Anyway, we had a good time, and are considering it as a possibility in the future, but due to the intermittent problems we may go for another option.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank JustEliIsFine
Hawks_Cay-FL, General Manager at Hawks Cay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

While we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed many wonderful aspects of our resort, we do regret any delays you experienced when checking in and any inconveniences you had with the Wi-Fi and phones. We are in the process of undergoing updates to our resort and we hope that you’ll allow us another opportunity to stay with us when all of our updates are completed. Thank you for your review and we hope to see you again at Hawks Cay Resort.

There are newer reviews for Hawks Cay Resort

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My husband and I had our first experience with Hawks Cay back in November 2013. We spent five days and had a fantastic time. We loved the fire place they have at night and the pool was beautiful and clean. We found the lagoon to be more than adequate and felt that it fit the title "lagoon" perfectly. The line for check-in was a bit long but not anything we were upset about. We dined in the Ocean restaurant two of the nights and found the food very good. Pricing was the normal resort restaurant fees. We loved the pool side ice cream store and the mojitos. The service was just right, we didn't have someone bugging us every 10 seconds asking us if we needed something. The only thing I would have liked to see was a better price on the mojitos. I take online courses and had good internet connection in the rooms located in the resort.

We rented paddle boards from the on-site rental booth and found the experience to be great. We have since purchases SUPs and will be bringing them at our next visit.

This coming weekend we will be having our second stay but this time in the Villas and with our two daughters. I am concerned about some of the reviews about the internet connection in the Villas so hopefully this will not be an issue for us or it will be our last visit for at least another year. I will add another review with the family experience when we get back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jennifer d

Welcome back to Hawks Cay Resort! We are excited to have you stay with us again as it is a pleasure to accommodate you and your family. We hope you have the opportunity to enjoy some of our family fun on-site amenities we offer including our very popular Dolphin Connection and Sunset Cruise. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us should you need any assistants. Thank you and we hope you enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Without belaboring the points of my disappointment in the facilities, I will just say for the price paid per night I expected at least a four star if not better accommodations and amenities. The decor of the 2 bedroom villa was plain with carpeting suitable for commercial application. Maintenance and cleanliness details were rough, i.e. caulking, soiled door surfaces and discard items from previous guests were found in unit.
The salt water lagoon at first glance and concept is appealing, however on closer scrutiny, the water was murky and slick in appearance. The lagoon is fed through a grated pipe from the boat canal and does not appear to be treated or filtered and poor circulation, which begs the question of the bacterial load at any given point. The main pool is average and plain. Entrance drive landscaping was again average to poor. Great landscaping could add so much eye appeal and create an inviting environment. I did not participate in their dolphin programs but I saw 4 dolphins in the holding pens off the canal.
I would not recommend to family or friends to stay here. Very disappointing stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank lafhome

Thank you for taking the time to provide your comments in regards to your stay. Your feedback regarding the condition of our resort has been addressed and we do apologize for any inconveniences or frustrations this may have caused you. We hope you have another opportunity to visit with us again so that we may go above and beyond your expectations.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My wife and I decided to stay at Hawks Cay for her birthday. We enjoy coming to the keys several times a year but had not stayed on Duck Key yet. Hawks Cay resort is beautiful. Excited for the 5 day get away, we arrived around 4pm to check in. We were told are room was NOT ready yet, sooo we headed to the bar for a drink assuming we would get checked in soon. It was a good hour before we got our room key. A little delay, not a big deal. Ready for fun in the sun! I had called ahead the day before and requested champagne and horderves to the room as a little surprise. I also reminded them again at check in. We finally got to our room and to my surprise Nada. After a few calls to the reception manager/room service it arrived. They extended us a credit for dinner for the numerous delays. We had a ground floor room, a short walk to the salt water lagoon. I was little disappointed with the lagoon as it seemed slightly small in comparison to the pictures. Also, there was no beach. A word of advice if you are going to order lunch at the lagoon, eat at the bar, the birds are all over you when your food arrives, and I am not talking one or two birds, more like a dozen and they meant business. Anyway, all and all it was an ok stay. Nice resort, poor service, no beach and it's not cheap. Don't think we'll be coming back anytime soon as there are so many other great places to stay in the keys.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Garrettcsmith

All guests’ feedback, positive or otherwise, is very important to us. Although you appreciated the picturesque views of our resort, it is disappointing that not everything was to your liking. Your comments about your stay have been shared with our management team as we are continuously looking for ways to improve the experience of our future guests. We truly apologize for the room service mix-up when you checked in. Thank you for the time you have taken to tell us about your impressions of our resort and we hope to one day welcome you back and exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Overall we were very happy with our stay. We booked our trip somewhat last minute (with Erika she was so helpful and professional) ....we wanted a 'tropical feel' for some summer fun without leaving the country. Our stay was from 1-6 August. We traveled with our 16 year old son and our 19 year old daughter and their two friends (same ages). I had read countless reviews after booking and was a little concerned based on some of what I had read on trip advisor. Check in was smooth and easy. We stayed in Sunset Villas and we loved walking out onto the balcony and porch to see our beautiful view. The villa was nicely decorated, equipped, and clean. We absolutely loved the Dolphin Connection and the trainers were just wonderful. What an experience! We were off exploring the keys daily so we didn't get to relax and enjoy the resort as much as we had hoped (next time we will designate days to do so) but we did go to the main pool and lagoon a couple of times and we enjoyed the pool in Sunset Village as well. We even had it all to ourselves a couple of times. We did not eat at any of the resort restaurants as we wanted to 'eat where the locals do' so I don't have any input on that. Our washer did stop working midway through a cycle one night leaving us with a load of very wet laundry. We called maintenance and they were at our door within 10 minutes. His name began with an R (Ray something) and he was very accomodating. It was a sunday so they were unable to fix it that night...he came back within a half hour with a key to an empty nearby villa (two doors down) to finish our laundry and told us we would recieve a $50 credit to our account (which we never recieved, I asked upon check out but the young lady helping me said there was no record of such on file, we needed to get on the road so I didn't stay and battle it) The overall feel of the resort is lovely, staff was friendly and helpful as well. The only negatives *other than the washer issue* I can come up with are that the mattress on the fold out sofa was just awful....worn and springs poking in various spots, the frame itself was bent (made for very uncomfortable sleeping) and the wifi was terrible (you do pay a resort fee which in part covers wifi so this was disappointing) and when we went to call maintenance we had to use our cell phones (not a big deal) because we discovered that our villa phone was not operational. Lasty the jacuzzi in my opinion was way too small for a resort this size (our 16 year old son jokingly called it the Microcuzzi) and it was not very warm, let alone hot ( I realize this is Florida in the summer but still :) ) and the jets were weak at best. We truly enjoyed our stay and we were sad to leave but for the price per night we were a little surprised by the wifi and poor quality sleeper sofa. All in all Great Job Hawks Cay.....Looking forward to another visit!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank ksatt1993

It is always our desire to create an inviting atmosphere in addition to providing great accommodations and services at Hawks Cay Resort. We are delighted that our resort made such a wonderful first impression and that you enjoyed the serenity of our location. Your comments about the washing machine and WI-FI in your villa have been forwarded to our management team and we sincerely apologize for any inconveniences or frustrations you experienced. We are delighted to hear that you look forward to returning and we appreciate your loyalty. Thank you for your review and photos and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at Hawks Cay from July 26-31st, also known as mini lobster season for divers. Our primary reason to go to Hawks Cay was to get our 12 year old daughters certified for diving in a fun and safe environment. We really liked that Hawks Cay had a resort feel and had a dive shop on site. I will do a separate review on Dive Duck Key, which is the on-site dive operation shortly.

I did a lot or research on the property before booking. Several weeks prior I saw several reviews from people having internet issues in and around the Sunset Villa area. I voiced my concern via their Facebook page and was complimentary upgraded prior to arrival to a Marina Village Condo that was in a better wifi area and right next to the dive shop and boat. Before we even arrived, I was impressed with the service level I was receiving. That being said, I did hear from several guests that they were still having internet/phone issues in many of the units, and they had been refunding resort fees in compensation for guests that experienced that issue.

We arrived at the resort at 5:15 and our room WAS NOT ready. Before I could even show my frustration, a VERY generous credit was put on our account by the reception clerk. We were told go to have dinner and our room would be ready shortly. Thankfully, we had packed our swimsuits in our carry on and we took advantage of the pool had a early dinner. Our room was available at 6:45. Although a frustration, monetarily it definitely worked out to our advantage and was happy with the way customer service handled it.

The resort was as described and the only thing I was slightly disappointed in was the lagoon. It seemed slightly small in comparison to the pictures. However, the grounds, pools, were all beautifully maintained. The Marina condo was great, exactly as expected. Yes, the rooms were tight, but they are exactly as shown on the website. Now, I travel a good amount and usually try for a condo type environment. I have read several reviews from unhappy guests who were mad they didn't receive maid service in their condo. I would never exact maid service in that type of accommodations. However, the trash was emptied daily and I did receive new towels each day. I was very happy with the service.

After being there myself, I really believe that most of the negative posts here are from people who do not do their homework. Before arriving I knew that there was no beach. It is easily determined, that Hawks Cay does have water sports, but they are not included and are a-la-carte. We ate on property and found the prices to be normal for a resort atmosphere. Beers were $5. My wine was $8-10. The buffet at Ocean was a great value for our 12 year olds ($14) and I think adults were $24. That is what I would expect at a typical resort. The general store on the Marina is high in price and I found it misleading when I visited their page description that stated "everything you need to grill" when they don't sell chicken or steak lol! I did expect them to carry more items so do your shopping before you go.

Although Hawks Cay does have the dolphin connection on site, we did visit the nearby Dolphin Research Center nearby and really enjoyed it.

That being said, we did go to Hawks Cay to dive. When you add the cost of the room, diving expenses, and food costs (if you don't cook) we would probably be more likely to look for an all inclusive next time such as a Beaches resort because it would be cheaper in the long run for us. However, it we were coming to Florida to visit family I would definitely love to stay here again for a few days and get in a dive or two.

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Room Tip: If you dive and want to see the boats and be right near the dive shop, choose the Marina Village. I...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank wbn36

Thank you for your very detailed review of your stay at Hawks Cay Resort. We are delighted to hear that our friendly customer service and beautiful pools added to your positive experience. Although you didn’t find us to be of good value, we do appreciate that you mentioned that you would like to stay with us again. We hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back the next time you are in the Keys.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had stayed in Hawks Cay Resort at the end of March 2014, My son , daughter and their families , we ll had a great time. so we came back looking for the same experience, and it was better. the check in was fast, Vanessa from Miami helped us, i remarked OMG you come from Miami and she said "I love this place, I love working here" you know you are in for a treat.
the room was beautiful clean, spotless in front of the serenity pool.
The pool area was crowded , but my grandchildren had a blast. Dolphin experience was memorable.We ordered our lunch corn fritters, margarita pizza, hamburgers everything came fast and good. breakfast buffet in the restaurant looking at the pool was excellent our server was Donalene, same server that we had in March, what a positive attitude and fast. Smile in her face and excellent coffee pouring in, what else do you want in the morning?.

Room Tip: Our room in front of the serenity pool was perfect, very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Kathy1944

Thank you for your review as it was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us during your recent trip to the Keys. Your kind comments about our staff and resort are very much appreciated as this is the experience we strive to deliver to all of our guests. We are delighted that you enjoyed our Dolphin Connection and on-site restaurants and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hawks Cay Resort.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Duck Key
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
#7 of 19 in Islamorada

Been to Hawks Cay Resort? Share your experiences!