“Don't go if you're allergic to cats”
Review of Water's Edge - CLOSED

Water's Edge
Price range: US$15 - US$30
yorkville, illinois
“Don't go if you're allergic to cats”
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We have stayed at Hawk's Cay a number of times but never ate at Water's Edge, because it was always portrayed as a pretty upscale place and maybe not the most practical place for a family with small children. Our kids are a bit older now, and so on our last visit we ordered a pizza for them one night and decided to give it a whirl. They strongly suggest reservations, so I called (earlier in the day) to make one. The lady said she thought that it was full and looked and looked and finally found one. She made me feel like I really lucked out. When we arrived the place was practically empty, and it was never even filled half way the whole time we were there (which was a long time because of the poor service). Any way, it's kind of an open-air place, and there are cats just wandering around between guest's tables! A lady at a table next to us must have startled one, and it pounced on her bare leg and either scratched or bit her. Amazingly, it didn't seem to bother her too much. My wife would have had a cow if that happened to her. Also, the waiter could not answer specific questions about menu entrees, and he answered wrong about what I ordered so I did not enjoy my meal. Never again for this place.

4 Thank send88

Minnesota
“Service so poor its comical”
Reviewed 22 March 2008

On our last 2 visits it was great. They have either new ownership , management or both.

The staff is nice, BUT..

We were once refused a table because they were all reserved.
2 hours later, the same 5 tables had no guests.

Another time, we were seated, but had to go to the bar twice
to get a menu and beer.

We then ordered the kids buffet because our children
were getting hungry. They ran out of pizza, so we waited.

Finally asked a server if they were bringing more pizza,
and they thanked us for telling them the pizza was gone.

Waited longer, went for another beer at the bar it was
given to us free of charge.

The Mgr. apologized, and said they were not ready for the tourist
season. Asked for Ketchup 3 times, finally went to the kitchen and
got it ourselves.

Other guests laughed as is was comical, the staff was nice, but seemed unable to process more than one thought at a time.

I assume they will be under new mgmt. again in a year, wait until
then unless you are one of the most patient customers in the world.

Even once you adjust to Keys time and attitude, you should be
prepared to wait a long time for service.