“Disappointment!”

Dunedin Fine Art Center
Ranked #7 of 40 things to do in Dunedin
More attraction details
Owner description: For over 35 years, the Dunedin Fine Art Center (DFAC) has been offering exciting art opportunities in a most welcoming kind of way. St. Petersburg Times writer Lennie Bennett says that DFAC is “the artistic equivalent of a village square,” offering quality experiences to people of all ages. DFAC offers year-round exhibitions in four galleries featuring national, regional and local artists. Classes for students 4 yrs. to 97 yrs. fill 15 studio classrooms and a changing yearly theme makes the David L. Mason Children’s Art Museum a hands-on experience not to be missed. You can take some time to enjoy a delicious lunch or gourmet coffee in the Palm Café, or search out one-of-a-kind gifts in the Gallery Gift Shop. Come out and PLAY at the Dunedin Fine Art Center and see why people say it’s where the ART is!
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I decided to stop by this museum on the way to the beach based on their website. When I got there, I saw a lot of construction going on. When I went inside, I was told that they were between exhibitions and that the only one they had was in the Children's Museum - art from local middle schoolers. In addition, the water was turned off and so the bathrooms were closed. No cafe - no gift shop - both of which were touted on their website. What a disappointment!

1  Thank OmaAnnie
DFAC, Manager at Dunedin Fine Art Center, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Hi OmaAnnie - We're sorry our current expansion project was inconvenient for you. I know we certainly feel that way some days ourselves. You didn't mention the noise, so I'm grateful it was at least somewhat quiet while you here. We know the end result will make it all worth it, and we hope you revisit to see for yourself.

I'm personally looking at ways to make not only the effects of our construction more apparent on a day-to-day basis (like when 1/2 of our bathrooms are unavailable as during your visit ;-), but also the schedules for our exhibits. On our website, we currently list the dates on all of the exhibit pages, but are looking at how we can make it more apparent when some of are galleries are between exhibits, as was your experience.

We are glad you chose to visit. We hope you'll give us another shot when our galleries are filled with extraordinary art and if you wait long enough, our construction project is finished. We know you'll be glad you did.

I'd like to offer a personal tour the next time you visit. We're really proud of our programming and educational programs here and I'd be thrilled to show you why!

Best regards,
Ken Hannon
Assoc. Executive Director

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Today was chilly so I decided to take my 2 grandchildren to the Dunedin Art Center-I got there at 10a.m. and a lady rant out of an office (leopard shoes)and said everyone was in a meeting and I should walk down the hall and wait. We waited for 20 min., but decided to explore ourselves. A women finally came in and never really talked to us-she turned on a music machine of a display and sat at the desk but I attempted to talk to her but she cut me short. We walked around and there were a few other people that came in and looked around but no one ever helped us. It was dark and dreary in the children's play area-perhaps they did not turn on all the lights. The janitor man talked to us as he was driving his bucket and mop by us. Very sad, I won't go back-seems like it could have been fun with a little service.

1  Thank PattiLouSoHa
DFAC, Manager at Dunedin Fine Art Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Hi PataSouthHaven -

I'm SO sorry you caught us between exhibits at DFAC. I would like to assure you that your experience is NOT what you can usually expect from us here at the Dunedin Fine Art Center. I hope you'll give us a chance to make a "second impression" and will be MY guest the next time you find yourself in our vicinity.

We strive to make every guest experience a great one. We apologize for having missed the mark on your visit. We look forward to making it up to you!

Best regards,
Ken Hannon
Assoc. Executive Director

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Although this is a small center, it does have excellent facilities available for area artists. Classes are offered at reasonable prices, and there are activities for artistic (and not so artistic) children to participate in.

Reviewed 26 November 2013

dfac OFFERS 125 SETs OF ART CLASSES FOR 4 YEAR OLDS TO 94 YEAR OLD 6 times a year in the am and pm and weekdays and weekends with 20% discounts on the subsidized classes for members. It has 6 changing art exhibits of various media in 3 galleries; it has rthe only hands-on youth art museum on the west coast of Florida. It is growing in space and usage and offerrings. Gift shop? oh yes with most items fro0m jewelery to pens to scaves to photos by local artsists. A trulu gathering place and welcoming to all

Reviewed 7 November 2013

I actually have a friend that retired from working here. And another that exhibited his pottery in a show. I had the opportunity to go to one of their fine shows. Some of the work is just amazing. These artists are incredible. They even have a great children's program.