“Best Authentic Food North of the Boarder”
Review of Casa Tina

Casa Tina
Ranked #5 of 178 Restaurants in Dunedin
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

You will be hard pressed to find such good, authentic and heathy Mexican food as Tina & her crew serrve up. Love everything about her 'Casa'.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you really enjoy Mexican Food. Avoid this place like the plague. The locals call it the Ping Restaurant as everything is microwaved. Not good at all.

1  Thank Tailor099
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We had dinner there last night and it was absolutely delicious. The service from the courteous young lady who seated us to our wonderful server who delivered our check was impeccable. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a nice dinner date kind of an evening.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I am a hispanic who was born and raised in San Antonio, TX, and also have lived in Mexico City. I would say I am quite familiar with Mexican food! I was lured into Casa Tina's after being impressed by their menu. Casa Tina offers a very creative yet authentic menu selection. They also have a variety of vegetarian dishes. I am vegetarian, so finding authentic vegetarian Mexican fare is rare and highly appreciated.

I've been to Casa Tina's twice. The first time was only for an appetizer. I had the Dos Frijoles Dip. For $6.95 you get a pretty average bowl of beans and tortillas. It is overpriced for sure, but I still wanted to go back and try a menu item. I couldn't pass up a Mexican restaurant that has mole, elotes, chile rellenos, etc for the vegetarian.

I went for lunch with my husband. We were seated right away and the complimentary chips & salsa came shortly after. The chips were good and actually had substance to them. (Not just bland vehicles of corn for the transfer of salsa.) The salsa, however was very simple. I recall it was only chopped up tomato, onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Where I come from, this would be called "pico de gallo" and NOT salsa.

We started with the Chayote Relleno appetizer. This was a creatively done item. We enjoyed the buttery chayote squash with the almond/garlic/onion filling. It was a simple, light appetizer and a good alternative to heavy nachos.

For the meal, my husband had the Tacos Estillo Guadalajara. I had the Mole Poblano served over veggie enchiladas. We also ordered an Elote Asado, which available as a side item.

The first thing I noticed about my plate was that the food was not hot! It didn't make for a good first taste of the mole poblano dish. Ah.. I was very disappointed with that first taste of mole. It was all too reminiscent of the Dona Maria mole sauce in a jar! So what I had was a lukewarm, jar-tasting mole sauce over some rather bland veggie enchiladas. The tortillas used seemed good but, again, were only lukewarm so could only add so much to the meal.

There is this side cabbage salad that was served with the appetizer and our meal plates. Cabbage is good for you but it didn't complement the food.

The rice and beans? Average. I was not wow'd by their freshness but they were not terrible either. Perhaps the rice is only steam cooked and not cooked in the traditional method. Consequently the Mexican rice more of a white rice feel/taste. The refried beans may be from can, but they weren't bad.

My husband's tacos looked great. He thought the meat was overdone but the corn tortillas were fresh (not the typical packaged sort). Overall, with the rice and beans on the side, he said his plate was just not very flavorful. The side hot sauces were actually good in flavor though.

Ah, the Elote Asado! My husband and I are HUGE fans of elote! If you get the chance, try a real elote from an elotero on the streets of San Antonio or in Mexico. Great stuff! Unfortunately, we were not impressed by Casa Tina's elote asado. The corn was supposed to be grilled (asado means grilled) but had more a boiled look and taste. The Mexican crema and cojita cheese was poured on top of the corn, but most of it fell on the plate. There was very little chili powder. The main flavors coming out of our elote was boiled corn and Mexican crema. eh. Elotes are supposed to be well layered with mayo or crema and spices, and served with lime. (google elote then compare to the picture I will post here.)

IN SUMMARY...

In spite of their creative yet authentic menu, Casa Tina reminds me more of a mass produced Mexican/American food restaurant, yet this is their only location. You can get the same simple quality/flavor of food, say, at a franchise like Moe's Southwest Grill. The freshness was hit and miss with all the items and the flavor was poor. The variety of items is great, but the prices are much too high for the quality of fare served. (Our two meals alone were a $22 lunch.) I believe this is more a fast food type of Mexican, and the prices need to be more honest.

Either they need to cut back menu items and focus on FRESH and FLAVORFUL dishes or they need to cut their prices and have more the "quantity not quality" mentality. But what am I saying. I'm not trying to run their restaurant. I just wish the food had been of better quality.

There are still menu items I would try, but it's unlikely I will return as it's really a terrible value for very average fare. It's an authentic menu, but the authentic flavors are lacking.

1  Thank Julie3679
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I absolutely love this restaurant. The food is incredible and they do their best to keep everything organic or natural as possible, which is rare today. Their mole sauce is incredible, but the enchiladas verdes is by far my favorite!