Meranova Guest Inn
Palm Court Motel(Dunedin)(Great Value!)
US$85
No availability for your dates from our partners
Fenway Hotel(Dunedin)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsbrowniefront porchevery morningyogurtgourmet breakfasttraditional suiteasian roombed and breakfastold friendsdietary restrictionsfresh squeezed ojsuperb hostsco ownerprepared eggsfiltered watersound machinethe real world
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We spent a long weekend at the Inn to celebrate our Anniversary. We have stayed at many B & B but this was the best. We stayed in the Cottage. It was so relaxing and the breakfasts were wonderful. Enjoyed dining in downtown Dunedin and visited Caladesi. We look forward to going back and staying at the Meranova.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2009

My husband and I just returned home from a truly memorable, three-night stay at the fabulous Maranova Guest Inn. I wish to share with future readers/travelers the many delights and unique features of the Meranova.

First, and most important: the inn, an eight-room bed and breakfast just a 4- or 5-minute walk from Dunedin's spectular public pier on the St. Joseph Sound (an arm of the Gulf of Mexico), is run and owned by the friendliest, warmest, most personable and most entertaining couple you'd ever have the pleasure of meeting. They unceasingly attended to our every need and anticipated things we'd want before we even asked! For example, on our second day, knowing we'd be heading to the beach (a pleasant 10-minute drive from the B&B), they packed for us a canvas beach bag filled with plush beach towels, every imagineable sunblock, and a perfect, floppy beach hat for me (in my haste, I'd forgotten to pack one, and as a skin-cancer sufferer, their thoughtfulness was a godsend). They also provided two perfect sand chairs--so we were set for a great day, spent "beaching it" at both Honeymoon Island and Caladesi Island State Parks, both gems of the Gulf Coast. There were many other kindnesses and acts of genuinely expert customer service extended to us, too numerous to recount here.

Aside from the service attitude, personal warmth, and friendliness of the owners, the usual things that vacationers and other travelers look for in a B&B were all "there"--beautiful guest rooms, total cleanliness (the whole property, in fact, sparkles), goegeous gardens and landscaping, privacy, quiet, restfulness, a romantic setting and amenities, a welcoming feel--and, last but not least, fantastic breakfasts! Frank is a former long-time restaurateur and really knows his stuff. The breakfast he puts together is scrumptious, beautiful to look at, and actually healthful when compared to the morning fare that many full-service hotels and B&Bs typically serve. He manages to spoil you and delight your tastbuds with abundant, exquisitely presented food, all the while using some surprising ingredients you won't have to feel guilty about having eaten during the other 16 waking hours of your day! In addition to entrees such as fabulous stuffed French toast and a yummy frittata, my husband and I enjoyed the fresh-squeezed OJ and the perfectly ripe, ultra-sweet fresh fruits laid out for us, including sliced pineapple, strawberries, passion fruit, cantaloupe, and on and on. There was so much fresh, sliced fruit that, each day of our stay, we saved at least half to nosh on later on in the afternoon. This was about all we needed for lunch! Frank also plied us each morning with side dishes of toasted breads, including a delicious blueberry bread. Oh, and did I mention that you can take your breakfast anywhere on the Meranova's gorgeous property? By that, I mean, in your room if you wish, or under the lushly landscaped gazebo in the side yard, or poolside, or behind the pool area in the exotic and lush orchid garden, a true oasis of calm and zenlike beauty. You could also dine sitting on your privately-accessed outdoor balcony or porch, if you so desire--and all you have to do is let the owners know where before your chosen breakfast time! They really, really go out of their way to please and accommodate you; the service attitude at the Meranova is truly exceptional and above and beyond!

Our room was yet another oasis of calm, and we were welcomed on our first afternoon there with a pair of the most mouth-watering homemade brownies this chocolate lover has ever tasted! The word "room" is actually incorrect, in that our accommodations were a suite, featuring a fabulous and firm bed with antique headboard; beautiful yet functional matching antique dressers and plentiful closet space; a cozy and well-appointed living room with plush sofa; a kitchen area with range, small fridge, sink, coffeemaker, and fully equipped sets of lovely dishware and flatware, etc.; and, to cap it all off, a HUGE, luxurious bathroom, newly done over, with Mediterranean tile, fancy pedestal sink, and an enormous platform tub with a terrific shower, one of the best I've ever taken! Very romantic, too. Everything, it's worth noting, was immaculately clean for us and was made neat and perfect each day while we were out and about, exploring lovely Dunedin and the surrounding area.

Another thing about the Meranova, and it's not a small thing--it is a sweet, 100-year-old house that the owners have completely done over to show it off in its best light, with the greenest, lushest tropical, exotic landscaping this Northerner has ever seen (apart from in Jamaica!). And, better yet, it's situated on a darling, short, quiet block right off of Main Street, Dunedin--so you have the pleasure of being a stone's throw from the pretty architecture and charming stores and eateries of the town, yet you feel tucked away from the town center and hustle-bustle, such that you can leave your many windows open at night and catch the breezes, and there's little to no outside noise from the street. This is a real plus. Though we were lucky enough to have summer-like weather during our stay (low 80's daytime), we never wanted to use the A/C that was available to us at the inn! So much nicer to feel the Gulf Coast breezes coming in.

My husband and I have stayed at something like 30 or so B&Bs together over the last two decades in fabulous places such as Nantucket, Annapolis, Durango (Colo.), Mendocino (Calif.), Cape May (N.J.), Charlottesville (Va.), and New Hope (Penna.), and the Meranova has truly been the best, from my own viewpoint as well as my husband's. We've loved all of the B&Bs we've stayed at to one degree or another, but I'm happy to report that. . . the Meranova is without equal! All things taken together, the place is a total stand-out. I hope this review has conveyed just a fraction of my enthusiasm for the inn! I hope the Meranova's hard-working owners won't mind hosting Tony and Lisa again next year, because we are sure we'll be back, we hope for an even-longer vacation! If you book a stay there, I know you will enjoy the experience immensely, as we did!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhillyViolinist
Reviewed 31 December 2008

If your travel plans take you anywhere near Dunedin, Florida, be sure to stay at Meranova. If your travel plans don't take you there, then change your itinerary! We stay at B&Bs wherever we travel, and I can definitely say that this is the best we've ever experienced. Brownies and brandy upon arrival, fabulous breakfasts, rooms are immaculate and inviting, the funky town is steps away, and the ocean and bike path just a short stroll from your door. All of that is more than worth the price of admission, but the real treat is the inn's hosts. Frank and David give over the top service, delivered with class and a wicked sense of humor. If you're lucky enough to get a reservation (the inn has a steady number of repeat guests, and for good reason), be sure to plan an extended stay. Experiences this good should never be rushed.

Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank wildtrekker
Reviewed 6 December 2008

Our second stay here . I cannot fault this B & B. The attention to detail ,quality and style are here in bucketloads.
Well located with lots to do in the area .
We'll be back......as someone almost said.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank MikeandAnn
Reviewed 6 June 2008

I discovered this property through TripAdvisor and stayed twice in May...and I now have a foretaste of Heaven. David and Frank are perfect hosts, attentive to detail, so caring toward their guests and so clued-in as to what makes a B&B stay relaxing, comfortable and memorable.

Should I repeat what you will find in all the earlier reviews? I hardly feel the need because all of them are true but I will cover the basics. The grounds are exquisite (David's orchids are spectacular) and ultra well-kept. I have stayed in both the Art Deco and the Asian Suite, and I can advise that the former is more manageable for single occupants (like me) than the latter, but don't get me wrong: both are spacious and well-appointed, come with a kitchenette and nice bath (love the shower in Art Deco!) and have dedicated outdoor porch space. I was given a snifter of cognac and a chocolate to savor as a welcome pleasure on my first nights. Beds are luxe and ultra-comfortable, just the right firmness for me. Both rooms have AC and ceiling fans.

Ahhhhh...breakfasts brought to your room or porch are absolutely phenomenal. You will remember Frank's artistry long after your stay. One morning on my second stay he served me his incredible stuffed French toast with bacon on the side, which he had also made during my first stay...and he apologized for the repeat...a repeat of total breakfast bliss. (They remember the history and preferences of their guests, what a concept!) These breakfasts are of true gourmet quality and may very well carry you past lunch. Frank will also cater a special dinner for a couple or group as well, just ask him! One night on my first stay there was a catered dinner for a group, who dined at a table on an Oriental carpet in the side garden with dragon lanterns through the trees, and it was all set and served with great care.

Loved the small but comfortable pool out back with rafts, foofy beach balls and piped-in music that reflects Frank and David's impeccable taste (they do honor music requests). And when it comes time to settle up at the end of your stay, they invite you into their immaculate home kitchen as your credit card charge goes through.

OMG...the perfect hosts, the perfect B&B in a lovely sleepy "old Florida" town with several great restaurants and watering holes on or around a movie-set Main Street. Two vacation stays such as I could never imagine in my wildest dreams, and I am returning, no doubt. I am absolutely smitten by the Meranova, now the greatest love of my lodging life. The greatest experience I've ever had in a B&B.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo