“Good food and service”

Swampy's Bar & Grille
Ranked #2 of 53 Restaurants in Dunnellon
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Swampy’s Bar & Grille in Dunnellon, Florida! Looking over the beautiful Rainbow River from our restaurant deck, you can enjoy and understand the inspiration which created Swampy’s. It is the raw beauty of the Florida river swamp with a few extra conveniences added – Swampy’s great food and drink. If you arrive early enough, you may observe the family of otters that swim, eat, and live right here at Swampy’s river bank. As early afternoon arrives, you view local residents and tourists lazily floating down the river in tubes, kayaks, canoes, and a few boats. As the day ends, and the sun sets, you may again observe the family of otters venture out to enjoy their river dinner, as you enjoy yours.
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Been there a few times always got good food and service. Was a little slow on our last trip but this is not a fast food place. Just sit back and enjoy the beautiful view. If you are in a hurry go to McDonalds.

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We kayaked the Rainbow River today (Friday) and stopped at Swampy's for a late lunch (about 2 p.m.) We asked about seating and was advised to seat ourselves. We selected a table on the porch facing the river and the server (Amy) promptly arrived with a menu for each of us. She took our drink order and when she delivered the drinks we placed our food order. The blackened fish sandwichs were plentiful and delicious and the sweet potato fries were tasty as well. Another guest in our group had the Reuben and she enjoyed that too.

Amy provided excellent customer service and checked back with us throughout the meal.

I must admit I was a little apprehensive about having lunch here because of the reviews I had read. However, our lunch was delicious, Amy was an excellent server and the lunch stop allowed us to refuel and complete our against the current, up stream paddle.

Take a chance on this restaurant. I know that the next time I kayak I'll give Swampy's a second chance because my first meal there was great.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

First off this is a great location to just chill out and watch the world go by on the Rainbow River, so if you have several hours to spend doing that then everything will be ok. But if you want to get a meal during a weekend lunchtime when the weather is nice and be done after an hour forget it!
There are so many places like this where the owners decide to expand the seating areas to pack more people in to make more money but never think that they should do the same with the kitchen. Sadly this is the case with Swampy's. They put a nice expanded deck outside with a bar, terraced seating by the river and additional picnic tables, but the kitchen is the same size as it was years and several owners ago.
Three of us went there for a "quick" lunch on Sunday 9th March, and to cut a very long story short we got there just before 1pm and finally after much chasing and reminding finally got our check just after 3pm! We had ordered one appetizer, one Caesar Salad, and one Chicken Sandwich. Can you believe that took almost an hour and a half to turn up???. In fact the Band for the evening session were setting up when we left!!
I guess we should have known when our waitress admitted that she had been told to delay putting any orders for food into the kitchen for at least 20 minutes when we were first seated.
I'm afraid Swampy's will disappear into the Swamp if they carry on like this.

3  Thank richbam
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I have been here three times. The service has always been above and beyond so it baffles me to see all these bad service reviews. I did notice in a few that said they got no service, they said they also just walked up and sat or told a waitress where they would be sitting. There are multiple signs that say see a hostess (at the hostess stand inside) for seating. Perhaps the wait staff felt they were just taking in the view as we have seen people do when we were there. I just can't imagine this place being bad on service. The last time we went we kayaked up the river leaving one vehicle at the blue river run and one at the KP hole where we got into the river. When we were done kayaking and got back to blue river run my hubby realized he left his truck keys back in my car at the KP hole and we could not get into our truck so we walked over to swampys and had a meal as we waited for a cab back to KPH. After we finished our meal our cab still was not there and the manager was so nice as to allow a server who offered to take me back to the KP hole to get my car to give me a ride and even though I was soaking wet from the river, this server cheerfully aloud me to sit on the leather interior. This is a staff who has also gone above and beyond on three occasions to allow us to alter what they had on the menus so we could still eat vegetarian.

1  Thank lisa p
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Very slow service even though not busy. Ordered catfish dinner with sweet potatoe fries.. the catfish were little bites that resembled clam strips..the fries were burnt black..should never have been plated. Never again.

2  Thank travelterri50