“DIDN'T STAY - too afraid!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gator Den at Angler's Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dunnellon
Gator Den at Angler's Resort
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Dunnellon
TN
“DIDN'T STAY - too afraid!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

Let me start by saying that I'm an outdoors girl, and tent camp often. I'm not finicky, and I prefer staying in local places over resort hotels. That said, I can't imagine this place ever being regarded as a "resort" - even by fishermen in the the 1950's! Whatever it once was, it's now a dumpy fish camp and biker joint. If the owners have indeed been working to update the place as they claim on entry below, I can't imagine what it would've been like before. The photos on the website must have been taken many years ago or maybe in their "apartment" which they no longer rent. I had studied the website closely, and I did not recognize the place when I drove up to it. Specifically - the room had 2 double beds that looked like they had been there for at least 30 years. A bulb provided barely enough light to look around. (probably a good thing, as I'm afraid of what I DID NOT see!) A 1970's style lamp didn't work. A small "kitchenette" had cabinets made of particle board that was rotting off and making a pile on the floor, making me wonder just when this place was last cleaned!!! And to top it all off, literally, the back window looked into an embankment that was about 3 feet behind the building, with the top of the bank (just above roofline) being a train track. Wouldn't THAT make for resort-like rest and sleep! And yes, the trains do run frequently! Needless to say, I did not stay. I'd suggest you don't either. In fact, if you want to see the Rainbow River like I did, then see it and keep driving to Crystal River.

• Stayed December 2009
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank mea_aloha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pinellas Coutny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2009

Searching for anything luxurious in Florida then anywhere from Orlando to Palm Beach is where you need to be. But if you are looking for paradise off the beaten path then this is the right place. The room was adequate for what it was. A good place for anyone looking to spend time on the river and kayak, canoe or fish. The floor is tiled for that very reason and the room was comfortable. The room was painted and the bed linens were fresh. The thing that made the stay was the customer service. The owner really treats the customer as his guests. He went out of his way to accomodate us. Dunnellon reminds me of what happened to Mayberry twenty years after the show went off the air. But, the reason everyone visits the area are the rivers. As the main attraction they are absolutely stunning. This is our second time back to the Rainbow and definately not our last. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wanted to fish. The property being on the water makes launching very convenient.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Al0haSpirit
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2008

Owner is very nice. Rooms are ok. The carpets are very dirty. It would be great for a a guys trip. Not really a place for kids.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A little rough around the edges
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Anglers_Resort, Owner at Gator Den at Angler's Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2008
As new owners of Angler's Resort, we have spent lots of time and energy in the past year working to improve the condition of the property. The motel was built in 1957, and while it is not an upscale hotel, it is very comfortable and clean. Many renovations have been done to make customers' stays pleasant. We are affordable and family-friendly.

Come and visit - you won't be disappointed!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2008

I used to stay at Anglers Resort in the summertime when I was growing up. My dad worked and lived there in an old airstream behind the motel. I remember having my own boat all summer long, cruising up & down the Withalacoochee & Rainbow Rivers, chasing alligators & turlle diving, fishing for bass & bluegill. To be honest, I spent more time in the water than I did in the boat. I had an unlimited supply of tackle, bait, pop, chips, candybars, & bubblegum that no kid should be allowed to have, but who am I to complain. I even fell in love with a girl named Michelle from the city beach, located 2 bends upriver from Anglers. Anyway, in my opinion, if there is a heaven... well then I've already been there.

Stayed June 2004
Gainesville Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2008

I stayed at the anglers resort on saturday January 19th with my 4 year old daughter and 7 year old son. We originally planned to go camping and boating but due to very bad weather we decided to stay in a hotel. We stayed in a room with 2 beds, a kitchen complete with oven, microwave, fridge, sink and plenty of dishes, pots, pans and coffee maker. I think we paid 54 dollars including tax. Every part of the room was extremely clean, the beds were new and fresh paint thoughout. Shortly after we arived the sun went down and lightning knocked out the power in half of the town of Dunellen including the hotel. The hotel owner saw me trying to keep the kids entertained in the dark and went out and bought a wind-up flashlight for my son and his wife showed up twice with fresh candles to light the room until the power came back on around 8pm. The next day the temperature was in the 30's and they let us use a room to warm up in and eat lunch after boating on the river. We could not have asked for more gracious hosts. The tackle shop had plenty of supplies, boat rentals and a nice dock with fuel. I found out that the owners bought the property just a few months ago and have done a lot of work to make an old hotel modern and comfortable. we will be going back soon.
David Pisano, Gainesville FL

• Liked — cleanliness, customer care
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank steelgoose
Dunnellon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

I just want to say that since the new owners have taken over, they have really spiffed up the place! The rooms are actually "CLEAN" now and they have replaced a lot of the furnishings. It is definitely an enjoyable place to visit!!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dunnellon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2008

I would just like to say that now that the resort is under new ownership, they have really spiffed up the place. It is now time to give Angler's Resort a second chance. The appearance of the rooms are "CLEAN" now and they have replaced a lot of the furnishings. It is now an enjoyable place to visit!!!

Stayed December 2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunnellon
Comfort Suites near Rainbow Springs
Hampton Inn Crystal River
Hampton Inn Crystal River
#1 of 9 in Crystal River
Holiday Inn Express Crystal River

Been to Gator Den at Angler's Resort? Share your experiences!