“O.k. for a overnight stay”

Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elkton
Florida
“O.k. for a overnight stay”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

From the start I was wary of this hotel due to our experience when reserving the room on the day we checked in. We called to request one room with our military/dod discount. The desk clerk tried to say that they don't offer the discount. When we started to argue with her and asked for a manager she swore under her breath using the name "Jesus" as a swear word. We hung up and called CHOICE Hotels. They assured us they DO have the discount and booked our reservation.
We checked in to the hotel and went to dinner. Upon our return we went to the room only to discover most of the lights didn't work, there was a fist size hole in the bathroom door where a previous guest had punched it,. the microwave was missing, the phone didn't work, and worst of all, the room had a very bad musty stale smell that set off my asthma. My husband and I went to the front desk and the clerk offered to refund our money. Since it was late at night we said "no" and asked if there was anything else at all. She offered us another room where the light was out over the dressing area. We decided to take it. This room was much much better. The carpeting was clean (it had just been shampooed), furniture was on top of the bed and the bed wasn't made except for the sheets/pillows. I requested clean lennen and we made the beds ourselves. After that, we had a comfortable night.
I can't say much about the breakfast. It's very limited. We didn't use the pool since it was storming the night we came.
As long as you get one of the good rooms you're okay. It's an okay place for a one-night stay.

Room Tip: request rooms facing I-95.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Kelly G, General Manager at Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
I first want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your time at our hotel and I also want to thank you for taking your valuable time to give us feedback. I will try and address each of your issues. I do want to start by telling you that we know that the hotel is not perfect. The property is under new ownership and we are working very hard to get the hotel back where it needs to be. Our owners are not the type of people that can afford to just sweep in and correct all the problems at once due to financial constraints, but we are fixing everything as quickly as we can.

We ALWAYS have a military discount available. We understand and appreciate the service and sacrifice of our military men and women. This was a training issue and I'm very sorry that we messed that up for you. We've addressed this issue with staff. Under previous ownership staff was instructed to not offer discounts on very busy nights. While we do have a "best rate available" on our busy nights, the military discount will always be available. Again, I'm very sorry for our mistake and thank you for your service to our country.

The first room you were sent to was supposed to be out of order for the evening. When we have issues with rooms that cannot be addressed immediately we place the room "Off Market", unfortunately our system only allows this for a week at a time. In this case the room was automatically put back on the market and rented to you in error. Due to your issues we've began checking this list for updates daily to prevent a similar issue for future guests. Without your review we would not have found that so thank you very much.

The second room was also not intended to be rented due to the carpets being shampooed that day, we managed to get the light fixed, and I'm sorry that we had no other rooms to rent to you that night as we were sold out and the prep work for carpet cleaning had not been undone. I'm glad that the remainder of the night turned out well for you.

I do want you to know that we are working as hard as we can and every penny that we make goes right back into the property to make it better and more enjoyable for our guests. We aren't quite there yet, but we'll get there soon. This week alone we've had 40 mattresses, 10 micro fridges, 8 32 inch flat screens, 4 HVAC units and 8 rooms worth of new furniture delivered.

If you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you'll give us another chance to earn your business in the future.

Kelly
Quality Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This is the second year we have stayed at this motel and it's all about the staff. It is a little bit out of the way from St Augustine proper (about a 5-7 minute ride down 207). The rooms are being redone. Beds are comfy, air is cold, new paint, shower heads ect. Only thing I would like to see is flat screen tvs & espn on the cable. they do have espn2, espn news, espn classic. The rooms are fine though. Pool is nice, breakfast was fine with a bonus of a waffle maker & biscuits with sausage gravy. Really for us this place is about how we are treated. from top to bottom the staff just can't be beat. Smiles everywhere & they make you feel like you have been catered to. A hard thing to find even at places that charge 2-3X as much. Just a great job with customer service & they really should be recognized for all they do. There is no other option for us anytime we are in the the area. Great job Quality Inn Elkton!!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the West side away from I-95.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Kelly G, General Manager at Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South, responded to this review, 28 June 2013
Many thanks for your kind review. We were glad you chose to stay with us again and I will pass along the nice comments to the staff. We were also happy you noticed some of our improvements. We have many more things to do and will continue to work on them as funds allow. Thanks again for choosing us and we hope you get a chance to come back next time you are in the area.
Wantagh, New York
Reviewed 24 May 2013

If you need to crash you can't beat this place. Price seemed fair. Not to much going on nearby restuarants ect. I go to Choice properties because of the breakfasts, it saves a lot of time when traveling . Choice hotels always had fantastic hard boiled eggs, not this place they were like rubber and the yolks were full of water . Either they were bad or cooked wrong . The juices were watered down and there were not enough tables for the amount people there. I have a routine when traveling across the country which includes staying exclusively at Choice hotels, this upset the cart this time. I will have read the reviews I guess , something I have never had to do with Choice hotels before.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kelly G, General Manager at Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
Thank you for your review. We were glad to hear you feel you got a good value for your stay. Providing a clean, comfortable, and friendly stay at a good value is one of our goals. Sorry our breakfast did not meet your needs. We are working on the egg issue you mentioned. Also you are right, the juice did seem a little watered down. We have put a request in to the vendor to come out and check it out. For dining options next time see the on duty desk clerk for a map to nearby places to eat. Hope if you are in the area again you will stay again.
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2013

It was a very good stay and the room was just right. The breakfast was very good. The night clerk was on top of her game with fanatic service. She knew where all of the good places to eat was located and the local attractions.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the kind review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast along with the friendly service. Please see us again if you are in the area.
Montoursville, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2013

Terrible is a good word.We stayed at 5 different motels in our trip. We stayed at a rundown old motel owned and operated by an Indian couple. And it was a much better experience. our stay at Quality inn was OVERPRICED to say the least.
average cost 59.00
add k9 10.00
our price 104.00 outrageous There is no excuse for this sort of treatment for a 2nd rate motel. 2nd rate? we were given the wrong room number, shower curtain rod fell apart. and over charged for the room.
terrible seems like the appropriate word.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Marianne J
Kelly G, Owner at Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
I want to start by saying that we are really sorry that you weren't satisfied with your stay. We are new owners of the hotel, since January, and while we know it is far from perfect the items you mentioned are unacceptable.

We have reinforced with front desk staff to verify the room number before sending guests down. This is the first time we've experienced the issue but we want to make sure that future guests don't experience the same thing. I know first hand that it is painful to unload all your luggage and go to a room only to find out that you were given the wrong room. I'm really sorry about that.

The hotel business is a never ending maintenance game. We are working on getting better preventative maintenance programs going at the hotel and we will get there with time. Our maintenance staff has been very busy since we purchased the hotel but we should have caught the problem with the shower curtain during our room checks or during housekeeping cleaning. I'm also sorry about this but also want to thank you for bringing the issue to our attention. We had a new shower rod installed by 1pm on April 6th, the day you checked out.

As for the room rate, I've looked back on your folio and the rate was $85.90 + $10.00 pet fee + taxes. From time to time during big events our rates are raised. The hotel business is a supply and demand business when demand is very high the rooms are a little more expensive. The room you checked into was one of the only rooms we had left at 11pm when you arrived and I assure you that we were far less expensive than other hotels in the area.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We have a lot of work to do to get this property where we want it to be and we are working very hard on that. Again, I'm very sorry you were unsatisfied with our hotel.

United States
Reviewed 28 March 2013

We are very satisfied with our stay at the Comfort Inn in Elkton.
The staff was very helpul in getting our needs met and giving us the best rates.
The housekeepers did a great job of keeping our room clean and providing for our needs.
If presented with the option, we will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review! It makes us really happy when folks enjoy their stay at our hotel. I will pass along the housekeeping compliments and really hope we see you again in the future!

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Where to begin with my review. To begin with we were greeted by one of the most rudest front desk clerks we have ever run across. We were given a room we did not book. Walked back to front desk after looking at room. Then we learned they did not have our room available. But she did offer to refund our money and told us go somewhere else. Instead we stayed. Later that night we decided to shower only to find no towels. Also no coffee in the room. Front desk clerk almost accused us of stealing the towels. In the morning we turned on the lights and saw roaches on nite stand by bed and on the wall. One wonders how many of those roaches shared our bed with us. We had a wake up call scheduled but it never happened. We checked the phone in the morning and found no dial tone. The breakfast was about the only decent thing. Not great but not that bad. Overall we feel we paid way too much for the value of this Quality Inn. We learned in the morning that the bank had owned the hotel until a couple weeks before we checked in. Conditions were going to improve the letter said that was taped to the front desk. Too bad the conditions were not improved for us. If you like roaches crawling on your bed as you sleep, than this is the place for you. Otherwise try some where else.

Room Tip: My tip. Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank RedTraveler23
Kelly G, Owner at Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
I just want to start by saying that I am very sorry for the experience you had at our hotel. I'll try and address each issue you mentioned and tell you how we are working on improving.

First, the rude desk clerk that you encountered will be singled out and we will go back and review the cameras to evaluate how the desk clerk handled the situation and how we can improve. You didn't get what you paid for, so you should have been upset, and we should have been apologetic. I'm sorry that was not the case and I will work on that for future guests.

I will also look at the room you booked vs. the room you received and we can go into the computer system and determine who changed it and address that with them.

We are implementing and daily room check after the housekeeping is done. This is a system that after every room is cleaned by a housekeeper and staff member goes in behind them and ensures that everything is as it should be. If it not, they are instructed to fix it.

We were not aware of any problems with bugs in the rooms. At present the Turner Pest Control out of Jacksonville comes the first Tuesday of every month for service. We will determine what room you were in and take it off market until we have our pest control specialist out to spray that room specifically and then return to verify the issues have been resolved.

The wake up calls being missed are unacceptable...that can make or break someones day in a hurry and I'm very sorry that missed that too. We have the maintenance man going around and checking each phone to ensure that it is working properly to avoid this in the future as it sounds like your issue had to do with the phone not working in the room.

We are new owners of the property. Our first day of ownership was January 23rd. We are working as quickly as possible to make the property as good as it can be. Our staff at this property has suffered due to previous ownership (the bank) not caring for the property and giving the staff the tools that they need to make guests happy.

We will improve as a staff as well as make sure that we as the owners provide them with tools that they need.

If you have the time I would like for you to reach out to Kelly at the hotel at 904-829-3435 and we'll do our best to make this right with you. Again I'm very sorry for your unsatisfactory stay and I promise you that we are taking every penny we make and putting it right back into the property and working as hard as we can to make each and every one of our guests stays enjoyable.

Quality Inn Elkton, FL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elkton
Quality Inn & Suites
#48 of 78 in St. Augustine
La Quinta Inn & Suites St. Augustine
Courtyard by Marriott St. Augustine I-95
Best Western St. Augustine Beach Inn
Best Western St. Augustine Beach...
#2 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach

Been to Quality Inn Elkton - St. Augustine South? Share your experiences!