“Brides disapointment and discust!!!!”
Review of Sun Coast Inn

Sun Coast Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I called in june of 2013 for prices for prices for my guests for my wedding in Jan of 2014, I was quoted a price of $67-75 dollas and change, I was also told The motel owners were changing hands, ( newownership) and that I needed to call back and comfirm with the new owners on the price. I did just that I talked with 2 different ladies and they said they confirmed with the new owners the price was set I had already blocked off 10 rooms( which were not together they were scatterd all over the motel,usually if you ask for a blocked section especially for a wedding they should be all together!) for the bride & grooms family..I was also told by a few of my guest there was no heat in their room. a couple of days before the weekend of my wedding, a few of my guest called to check and just make sure rooms were set and were told that the price went up to 95+ tax and whatever else was added on! I was furious!!! I called and they told me sorry about your luck but this is what the price is and thats all we will do about it! I am a local, I live here in the town of Englewood and normaly like to make sure when I have guests coming into town they stay here in this town, because I like to help the locals... I Well NEVER again.. never will trust Liars of the Veranda Inn or Gem Coast what ever they are calling ! Rip of Joint!!! Extremely disatified!!!! don't waste your money they will tell you one price and charge you so much more when you get there!

Room Tip: go someplace else!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank joyd567
Murray M, Owner at Sun Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

As the new owner of Gem Coast Inn I feel obligated to respond to your review. When you first inquired about blocking rooms for your upcoming wedding in June 2013, I had not even taken over the Inn as of yet. The prices you were allegedly given were lower than the last two years of the Veranda Inn under it's previous ownership. Since taking over I have invested a very large sum of money to update and remodel all 39 rooms.
It was never brought to my attention about the prices you were supposedly quoted. A few weeks before your wedding you spoke with one of my front desk employees and she brought this matter to my attention immediately. At that time you were offered the opportunity to cancel the reservations and find alternate accommodations. You chose not to cancel. I gave your guests a large discount that we reserve for those booking ten plus rooms, you had only 6 rooms in total.
I do suggest in the future when booking rooms at any establishment you request written confirmation, as you did not have one from ours. I feel we treated your guests with the up most hospitality. We have a 48 hour cancellation policy without charges being put on ones account, A guest of yours from N.Y. did not show or call. My employee called and texted her personally at 10 p.m. and she responded back 45 minutes later saying her flight would be delayed due to the winter storm. We wished her a safe flight and told her she would not be charged for that evening and we would hold her room reservations for the next two evenings. The same employee checked her in the next day with a warm welcome.
Sadly to say, I read your terrible reviews about the Country Hound Cafe and Denny's of Englewood. The Country Hound has a wonderful reputation and many of our guests return from there and praise the service and the food, I apologize that we could not satisfy your needs.
Murray

There are newer reviews for Sun Coast Inn

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We booked a room in june for a wedding in january and were given a room rate of $67.50 per night with a 12% room tax, well when we got there the room rate was changed without notification to $80.00 per night with a 12% room tax. I did talk to the owner and he would not do anything about it. There were 6 to 10 room's taken for the wedding and we were all scattered all over and not put together, that was a big flaw. The carpet's were new and stunk so bad they were making everyone sick and some had no heat.TV stunk, light for sink area very poor. Would not recommend this place to anyone. Also if you think you can check out before 7 a.m. well you can not because no one is there over night.

Room Tip: check around
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cindy h
mOmOf3bOyz8, Owner at Sun Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

So sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our establishment. Our room rates do fluctuate depending on the time of year. We do offer discounted rates for large parties. The more rooms you book the better the rate. Your party reserved approximately 6 rooms so therefore you received our 10% discount. This is our standard policy. As you are aware the Motel has new owners and are upgrading substantially.

Check out can be done at anytime day or night. There is no need to come to the office unless you require a receipt and that can be done during business hours 7 am - 11 pm.

We sincerely hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Best Wishes,
Gem Coast Inn Management

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Very clean , spacious rooms. Nice clean heated pool. New carpet, fresh paint, compact fridge and microwave. Comfortable Bed King size. New bedding. Wonderful Owners extremely helpful ,outgoing . Beach is 5 minutes away. Restaurants within walking distance. Tv and wireless internet which worked immediately. No issues . We will definitely go back . Wonderful stay . I can be very critical of motels but I rate this very high on my list.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Darlene M
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Veranda Inn from Dec 21 - Dec 27 ,2013 at which time the new owners changed the name to Gem Coast Inn . Our room was extremely clean, quiet , spacious and newly renovated . The King size bed was very comfortable . The big bonus with the large rooms is that the air conditioner does not blow over your bed . Great location 5 minutes to the beach. Excellent restaurants within walking distance. The new owners are very friendly and outgoing and make you feel as though you've known them all your life. I would highly recommend this to anyone with its great location , prices and value. We will definitely be back .

Room Tip: Every room has been renovated . new carpet , paint , bedding , compact fridge, microwave ,tv, wire...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James S
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband and I (yound and retired) visited family and had the choice of any hotel, but the Veranda was the ONLY one with a "clean, outdoor, HEATED pool" and we spent a lot of time outdoors enjoying it. Yes, the rooms are dated, but very CLEAN, pets are welcome but we didn't bring ours this time. Very easy access, right off the highway, handy to everything. Staff just as friendly as could be. A/C could use updating. We don't STAY in the room watching tv., internetting, etc. so when we watched a little tv at night and checked e-mail there was absolutely no problem getting on-line or finding a movie channel. We expect that for the PRICE, it would be a bit dated, that's okay, we understand. We didn't stay on the street side so it was quiet. Parking garage is under the building - that's okay. For people with family who want the beach - then go to the beach and pay the beach price, otherwise I cannot see one thing to complain about. We will be staying another week early 2014 and enjoying the discount of staying 3-4 nights in a row. A nice, quiet, comfy, happy place to stay for vacation.

Room Tip: The Italian Rest. next door was busy from 4 to 10 pm. and the food was very good. Rooms on the back...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank WingearsheekBeach
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I were traveling down the west coast of Florida and began looking for nightly lodging in the Venice, Englewood areas. There is very little choice in this part of the world for a single night stay, as most national chains are not in the area and others want a three night or more minimum. We ran a cross a local convenience store owner who said without hesitation, try the Veranda Inn. They have new owners, its being upgraded and I hear good things. Well, we did, and we are glad we did. New Owners Murray and Jennifer Mason are 6 weeks into a nice renovation of a great location. You will not find nicer hosts. Our room was newly renovated and had a VERY comfortable King bed, new flat panel HDTV, refrigerator, microwave and was very clean. The room is HUGE. The hospitality of our hosts was even bigger. The property is a work in progress and has rooms under renovation so there are small pockets of construction, but our reasonable room rate and very comfortable atmosphere was a recipe for a nice night. We will be back. As a bonus, Farlows restaurant across the street was awesome. Check out the home made everything...

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back overlooking the canal! Watched a great sunset from the third floor verand...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gotimegary
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Family of 4 plus a well mannered pitbull booked an affordable room as a walk-in. Happy to meet the new owners, as of 2 weeks prior, both working hard, friendly and up front about the "condition" of the hotel. Didn't mind the outdated room as it was very spacious compared to new construction hotels. Stayed on the back side, where a manatee could be viewed grazing on the mangroves, 10 ft away, and heard talk of a 6ft gator frequenting the canal. Excellent pool, classy room upgrades are in progress (we got a peek). The owners and staff were all very professional and friendly(first name basis). They have a general kindness and personal touch that seems to be lacking in so many corporate facilities. Three new heavy duty laundry machines and dryers are available for use. The road noise isn't so bad, especially IF the newly rediscovered, vintage, roadside fountain ponds get operational. The sunset and "big sky" views from the third floor veranda are exceptional. A great spot to hang out with a glass of wine at the end of a hard vacation day. The Dean family absolutely recommends The Veranda to anyone, and cant wait to see the improvements on a return trip in August.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank C D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Sun Life Beach Hotel
Pearl Beach Inn
Pearl Beach Inn
#1 of 10 in Englewood
Englewood Bay Motel & Apartments

Been to Sun Coast Inn? Share your experiences!