“Close this Hotel until Renovations are Complete”
Review of Sun Coast Inn

Sun Coast Inn
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This place is scary. Bath amenities include a toilet plunger next to the toilet. Hair dryer was cracked to the point it had holes in it, and brown stains all over the handle. They say they are remodeling, and if that means a new duvet , bed linen, and a new TV then I guess renovations are complete.There was stained chairs in the room, and the place just felt nasty.
The price of $89 for a room was a joke. $39 would have been a fair rate for that dump.
Anyone that gives this place a good review must have never stayed in a decent hotel .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank BeachLvr646

Reviewed 14 January 2014

I don't know why there are so many negative reviews! My husband, two kids and I stayed at The Gem Coast Inn for a week. They have an amazing deal that if you stay for 6 nights you get your 7th night free, but only at full price. The pool was heated and crystal clean, I couldn't get my kids to come out! The rooms are a good size and all redone with new paint, mini fridge and microwave, flat screen t.v., and brand new, clean carpet! I wasn't afraid to have the little ones play on it and their socks stayed white! It was right across the street from a delicious restaurant called Farlow's, which had a great selection of tropical dining. We also had breakfast right up the street at The Country Hound Cafe; they treat you like family right from the start! The beach is also a few minutes away with lovely sunsets. My family and I will definitely be staying there again when we come down to see friends and family!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lana Y
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I called in june of 2013 for prices for prices for my guests for my wedding in Jan of 2014, I was quoted a price of $67-75 dollas and change, I was also told The motel owners were changing hands, ( newownership) and that I needed to call back and comfirm with the new owners on the price. I did just that I talked with 2 different ladies and they said they confirmed with the new owners the price was set I had already blocked off 10 rooms( which were not together they were scatterd all over the motel,usually if you ask for a blocked section especially for a wedding they should be all together!) for the bride & grooms family..I was also told by a few of my guest there was no heat in their room. a couple of days before the weekend of my wedding, a few of my guest called to check and just make sure rooms were set and were told that the price went up to 95+ tax and whatever else was added on! I was furious!!! I called and they told me sorry about your luck but this is what the price is and thats all we will do about it! I am a local, I live here in the town of Englewood and normaly like to make sure when I have guests coming into town they stay here in this town, because I like to help the locals... I Well NEVER again.. never will trust Liars of the Veranda Inn or Gem Coast what ever they are calling ! Rip of Joint!!! Extremely disatified!!!! don't waste your money they will tell you one price and charge you so much more when you get there!

Room Tip: go someplace else!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank joyd567
Murray M, Owner at Sun Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

As the new owner of Gem Coast Inn I feel obligated to respond to your review. When you first inquired about blocking rooms for your upcoming wedding in June 2013, I had not even taken over the Inn as of yet. The prices you were allegedly given were lower than the last two years of the Veranda Inn under it's previous ownership. Since taking over I have invested a very large sum of money to update and remodel all 39 rooms.
It was never brought to my attention about the prices you were supposedly quoted. A few weeks before your wedding you spoke with one of my front desk employees and she brought this matter to my attention immediately. At that time you were offered the opportunity to cancel the reservations and find alternate accommodations. You chose not to cancel. I gave your guests a large discount that we reserve for those booking ten plus rooms, you had only 6 rooms in total.
I do suggest in the future when booking rooms at any establishment you request written confirmation, as you did not have one from ours. I feel we treated your guests with the up most hospitality. We have a 48 hour cancellation policy without charges being put on ones account, A guest of yours from N.Y. did not show or call. My employee called and texted her personally at 10 p.m. and she responded back 45 minutes later saying her flight would be delayed due to the winter storm. We wished her a safe flight and told her she would not be charged for that evening and we would hold her room reservations for the next two evenings. The same employee checked her in the next day with a warm welcome.
Sadly to say, I read your terrible reviews about the Country Hound Cafe and Denny's of Englewood. The Country Hound has a wonderful reputation and many of our guests return from there and praise the service and the food, I apologize that we could not satisfy your needs.
Murray

Reviewed 6 January 2014

We booked a room in june for a wedding in january and were given a room rate of $67.50 per night with a 12% room tax, well when we got there the room rate was changed without notification to $80.00 per night with a 12% room tax. I did talk to the owner and he would not do anything about it. There were 6 to 10 room's taken for the wedding and we were all scattered all over and not put together, that was a big flaw. The carpet's were new and stunk so bad they were making everyone sick and some had no heat.TV stunk, light for sink area very poor. Would not recommend this place to anyone. Also if you think you can check out before 7 a.m. well you can not because no one is there over night.

Room Tip: check around
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cindy h
mOmOf3bOyz8, Owner at Sun Coast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

So sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at our establishment. Our room rates do fluctuate depending on the time of year. We do offer discounted rates for large parties. The more rooms you book the better the rate. Your party reserved approximately 6 rooms so therefore you received our 10% discount. This is our standard policy. As you are aware the Motel has new owners and are upgrading substantially.

Check out can be done at anytime day or night. There is no need to come to the office unless you require a receipt and that can be done during business hours 7 am - 11 pm.

We sincerely hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Best Wishes,
Gem Coast Inn Management

Reviewed 4 January 2014

Very clean , spacious rooms. Nice clean heated pool. New carpet, fresh paint, compact fridge and microwave. Comfortable Bed King size. New bedding. Wonderful Owners extremely helpful ,outgoing . Beach is 5 minutes away. Restaurants within walking distance. Tv and wireless internet which worked immediately. No issues . We will definitely go back . Wonderful stay . I can be very critical of motels but I rate this very high on my list.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Darlene M
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Veranda Inn from Dec 21 - Dec 27 ,2013 at which time the new owners changed the name to Gem Coast Inn . Our room was extremely clean, quiet , spacious and newly renovated . The King size bed was very comfortable . The big bonus with the large rooms is that the air conditioner does not blow over your bed . Great location 5 minutes to the beach. Excellent restaurants within walking distance. The new owners are very friendly and outgoing and make you feel as though you've known them all your life. I would highly recommend this to anyone with its great location , prices and value. We will definitely be back .

Room Tip: Every room has been renovated . new carpet , paint , bedding , compact fridge, microwave ,tv, wire...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James S
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband and I (yound and retired) visited family and had the choice of any hotel, but the Veranda was the ONLY one with a "clean, outdoor, HEATED pool" and we spent a lot of time outdoors enjoying it. Yes, the rooms are dated, but very CLEAN, pets are welcome but we didn't bring ours this time. Very easy access, right off the highway, handy to everything. Staff just as friendly as could be. A/C could use updating. We don't STAY in the room watching tv., internetting, etc. so when we watched a little tv at night and checked e-mail there was absolutely no problem getting on-line or finding a movie channel. We expect that for the PRICE, it would be a bit dated, that's okay, we understand. We didn't stay on the street side so it was quiet. Parking garage is under the building - that's okay. For people with family who want the beach - then go to the beach and pay the beach price, otherwise I cannot see one thing to complain about. We will be staying another week early 2014 and enjoying the discount of staying 3-4 nights in a row. A nice, quiet, comfy, happy place to stay for vacation.

Room Tip: The Italian Rest. next door was busy from 4 to 10 pm. and the food was very good. Rooms on the back...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank WingearsheekBeach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Sun Life Beach Hotel
Fairfield Inn & Suites Venice
Pearl Beach Inn
Pearl Beach Inn
#1 of 10 in Englewood

Been to Sun Coast Inn? Share your experiences!