“A Taste of Old Florida”

Sun Life Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My wife and I travel the state on our vacation time visiting and staying at older and renovated Florida motels. On our week vacation this March, Sun Life exceeded our expectations. While the Motel is on a busy stretch of highway, the units and the service received far surpassed the location. All of the units have been renovated and updated, each with its own décor. Anna & Mike were on site and were very nice and accommodating. Wifi works great, pool is nice, and when our AC unit died hours after arrival, Mike was there within an hour of our call to replace the defective unit with a brand new unit. Pool is great, they are close to beaches, stores and restaurants. We had a whole week to visit the area as well as attend a Rays spring training game only 20 minutes away. Great job Anna & Mike. We will surely be back again when we return to the area.

Room Tip: We love room 8 but all units have been renovated!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 May 2014

The rooms were very clean and very nice. In every corner of this hotel there is evidence that the owners care a lot about it. The layout of the rooms is "L" shaped, with each queen bed occupying a different end of the "L". This is perfect for families as the kids have some separation from adults who want to stay up later. The kitchenette came with the perfect sized plastic cup for us to make our own mixed drink, and a bag of ice that fit nicely in the freezer. The hotel is a good value. It is on a busy road, and somehow in Florida there is an infatuation with muffler-less vehicles. There were plenty of people roaring by, but with the door closed our room was peaceful. And actually, we enjoyed sitting outside with our drinks, watching these people go by. My only complaint would be that the bathroom had no exhaust fan. Its not "gracious", as Nate Berkus would say. Adding one would be a great improvement.

Room Tip: they are all the same
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank emyg
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My son & I stayed here for 7 days in March and we had the most relaxing vacation ever. Anna and Mike are the best and the most kind, accommodating people I have ever dealt with. They went out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. My son didn't have the right connection for his X-Box and Anna and Mike tried to come up with as many alternatives as possible to help make it work. Finally did get it connected which made my son happy since the first day there it rained. Loved going to the beach each morning and finding shark teeth and then a relaxing afternoon at the pool. Everything is clean, well taken care of and I would definitely stay with them again. They are what hotel management used to be like and they are so much appreciated. Keep up the good work Anna and Mike will return if possible.I would say the only draw back that there is the busy road in front, but after you are there a few days, you don't notice it as much and just enjoy!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Pam E
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in one of the units for three weeks in March 2014. Ana and Mike, the owners, were wonderful. They made sure we had everything we needed. The pool was great, the room was clean and very attractively decorated. Really liked the town of Englewood and the beach was really nice. Renting a house in Englewood next year (friends will be staying with us) but will stop by to say hello to Ana and Mike.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sandra F
Reviewed 17 April 2014

MY HUSBAND AND I stayed at Sun Life Beach Hotel for four nights this past winter and loved it enough to return there for another night before we headed home. And...we are planning on staying there when we go back next winter. We stayed in one efficiency the first four days and it was spotless and very comfortable. We both slept like babies. Ana, Mike and her family went way above and beyond to insure we had everything we needed and more. There was a large entertainment center with a sofa from where to watch shows, so it felt more like a little apartment instead of sitting on a bed in a hotel room to watch. And the fridge-with freezer, was full size for much more room for storing cases of water, and leftovers from retaurants, etc. Our last night was spent in another lovely room with every amenity as in the first. The rooms were each decorated in a different theme and done very tastefully. And, of course all have AC! WE DEFINITELY ENJOYED OUR STAY HERE AND WOULD RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS OVER MOST HOTELS! Sincerely, Jack and Marilyn from MA

Room Tip: The pool is heated which you may not think would be a bonus in Florida but it was such a pleasure...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marilyn M
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Upon returning to our room after our day at the beach, we had a letter in our room saying we had to evacuate the premises immediately because we had 5 people instead of 4 in our room, which was not true. My 12-year-old daughter was staying at my 95-year-old aunt's house down the street, and we would pick up my daughter in the morning and drop her off at night so she could spend as much time with her cousins (who stayed in the room) as possible. My sister has had serious issues with her PTSD after her last tour in Iraq, and it makes her feel secure to sleep on her Army cot, which she does at home as well and has done at other hotels without incident, and she had it set up in the room. While we were at the beach, they came into our room (we were told that they would not be in the room at all the entire week we were there), and actually took my sister's cot and locked it in their storage area! When my sister went to speak to Ana in the office about getting it back, she yelled at my sister and wouldn't listen to a word she said. My sister came back to the room and had a severe panic attack. I went to try to calmly discuss this with Ana, and she yelled at me without listening to a word I said. I tried to tell her that according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, my sister was allowed to have the cot with her to sleep in. She wouldn't listen and told me if we didn't leave immediately that she was GOING TO CALL 911! This was at 9:30 p.m.! We decided to chance it because we had nowhere to go, and we just left the next morning (the police didn't show up). I offered to come and let her see we have 4 people in the room (2 adults and 2 children), but she refused because apparently she thought I could somehow "hide" the 12-year-old! Can't even express the level of crazy of the things Ana said! When I went to go speak to her, she was also smoking an eCigarette, which I found very inappropriate for someone working in the front office! Found a better (and less expensive!) place down the street who had NO PROBLEM with the cot!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank kareningeorgia
SunLifeBeach, Owner at Sun Life Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear guest,
I am not sure why are you trying to use trip advisor as a revenge tool when you know that you guys did the wrong thing or this incident would have happened. You consulted with me if you can bring a cot and an additional 5th guest to 'the one single unit" that you were reserving over the phone while making the reservation and we told you that we have a maximum occupancy of 4 per room, but you did anyways brought 3 adults and 2 teenagers
We have certain standards that the county and state gave us for occupancy and we cannot brake their rules.
One of you actually apologize because your sister insulted me and threaten me to "have fun putting a bad review" so we are not really worry about this comment and I hope our future guests understand.
I am a graduate student from American Military University, Student # 4062736 working towards my final class to get my degree. You have no right to accuse me of discriminating vets. My husband and I work very hard to offer excellent customer service as you can see from other reviewers.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed here in March and was taken in by the cheery bright colors, in the decor! Easy access to the Beach! Anna and Mike were very friendly and made you feel at home! Heated Pool and wi-fi was a plus! Although on a busy road, you just have to be careful. Would recommend this Hotel.
JJ (Ireland)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Ramada Venice Hotel Venezia
Pearl Beach Inn
Pearl Beach Inn
#1 of 10 in Englewood
Englewood Bay Motel & Apartments

Been to Sun Life Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!