“Great Place for Our Girls Getaway”

Englewood Bay Motel & Apartments
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Englewood
Reviewed 30 July 2011

After reading all of the great reviews we choose Englewood Bay Motel for our first annual girls getaway weekend. I have managed a Marriott hotel for years and know the importance of quality and cleanliness. This location went above and beyond our expectations, It was very clean and the price was right which gave us girls more money to shop. The owners were outstanding with giving us directions to different area attractions and beaches. We truly had a great stay and we will make this an annual event.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank leesam2000

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We have stayed here a couple of times and have found it to be in a great location and very friendly staff. The owners were very accommodating when we changed our incoming date twice. We will be back!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank jjgoyt
Reviewed 19 June 2011

As a family traveling with a limited budget we found this motel to be exactly what we needed. It truly was home for our vacation. Very clean and well taken care of. We were close to beaches and everything we needed' having the convenience of kitchen facilities along with everything needed to prepare meals provided the opportunity to be able to do more on our vacation because we didn't have to eat out every night.. The owners were very accomodating when we needed a late check in and very helpful with all questions we had about the area . By the time we left we felt like family! Even the kids said next time we go back to Florida I want to stay there again!

Room Tip: tell Joe what you need and he will find it for you
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank McKaiasMom
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I moved cross-country with a relative; he has pet birds, and I have three cats. We drove our moving van and towed our cars; needless to say it was a stressful exhausting trip. We planned to purchase a house in the SW FL region upon our arrival and had already started looking online, but didn't have any place to stay. The small motel recommended to my brother, as it turned out at the last minute, refused to take cats. I anxiously had to find a place at the last minute, and this was it. It turned out to be a bit farther from our "central point of operations" (by about 30 minutes) however that ended up being rather nice, as the driving helped me to get my bearings, and it was rather nice to be able to just go off and relax by myself after running around all day. The people were exceptionally nice here (including the other guests and neighbors, most of whom were offering to help us do everything to show us local hospitality-which you can't beat, it's a great community). I stayed for about two weeks in an efficiency suite, which was on the end near the office and apparently a bit larger than some of the other rooms. Ample parking was always available right in front of my room. The setup and landscaping etc. was all charming, logical, efficient and peaceful; it reminded me of those first beach bungalows my friends and I rented in our youth. They had no problem taking my cats, but just wanted me to keep the furnishings covered with a set of sheets (which they already put in place before my arrival)-no big deal whatsoever. The setup was basically like a studio, with a partial wall separating the living/kitchen area from the bedroom, and with a separate bathroom. Everything felt plenty spacious for one person and three cats, along with piles of stuff we were moving. The decor was what I think is referred to as "shabby chic cottage style" or "old Florida"; anyway, just think beach bungalow. A nice sofa, a small recliner chair, a small kitchen table and chairs, and nice comfy large bed with well sized end table, and a dress with a fold-down secretary top. The closet was also large and easy to use, and contained a few handy items such as extra towels, hangers, broom/dustpan, etc. The bathroom likewise was large, with a very large shower stall (no tub but rarely would use one), and a normal sized medicine cabinet/mirror that I could get all my things into. The kitchen had a nice-sized frig with freezer, 4-burner stove/oven, nice sized sink, microwave, full size coffee maker, and set of dishware etc.-everything you'd need to prep meals and snacks. Freezer was provided both ice trays and one of those "blue ice" soda can six-pack chillers as well. Ample useful lighting including a front porch light outside, table lamps where needed; coffee/end table, and a nice sized television. Ethernet and wireless are provided free and worked well. Just a nice, general relaxing setup that was easy to live in and comfortable. Also worth noting, there was nothing that my cats could get themselves into trouble with (getting stuck inside furniture or whatever, as they sometimes do when travelling). In the back was a nice courtyard/bbq area and close to that a laundry room (machines ranged from $1.25 and up). Trash dumpster just on the other side of the complex. The staff were always available to help but otherwise didn't bother you, which was good; I didn't want housekeeping because I didn't want people opening the door and letting my cats loose. I was able to easily keep the place clean myself. The motel is located right off a main roadway on a small residential street, and just up from the bay (you can see the water standing in front of the motel, and walk there just across the street). I felt that the location was ideal; it seemed nicely residential and "local" but was super-easy to get to everything; and the surrounding area was pretty. There seems to be wildlife everywhere; upon my arrival, a sea eagle was hanging out right in front of my room; but nothing unduly threatening. I have to confess that I did see just one bug during the entire time I stayed there (meaning, a "bad" bug-cockroach), but it seemed terrified and out of place, and may have be brought in on my moving materials from outside just as a fluke. There were the typical outdoor sort of bugs here and there one would see; but much less than many other areas I went to in the region. Climate-wise, I arrived at the start of the summer/hot season, yet the motel's particular location makes it seem cooler than other nearby areas, which was a plus. Finally, I'll mention that there are a variety of types of places/configurations available at this motel, although I didn't go inside the other types; but I believe they have individual cottages, apartments, and smaller (and probably cheaper) rooms than the studio setup I selected. So you should be able to find whatever type you need here. Everyone who came to my room at this motel really liked it; my relative who stayed at the first place I was planning on going was envious because my place was so much better (and cleaner/bug free) than his was. He had rented his room for a shorter period than I had (I figured things might take longer than he did); and these people were so nice, they said he could just move in and stay with me in my room (for the original rate I paid) once his time was up at the other place (this studio also contains a sofa bed). So - I know this is a long review, but one never knows what points will be of interest to another person, and I wanted to try to remember to include everything.

Room Tip: Call early during main season
  • Stayed: May 2011
6  Thank Goldwave
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Nice people in charge, but parties in neighborhood and very loud. No central heat so gets very cold in winter. No light in the shower and few amenities provided. Not a nice area to stay in.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank Citizen11
Reviewed 26 December 2010

When we needed to cancel our reservation before the 30 day deadline, Joe worked with us well to return our money promptly.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nsdf
Reviewed 3 November 2010

Nice place to stay. Quiet neighborhood and close to Beach Drive that has nice beaches and restaurants. Actually spent one afternoon just walking the beach for 4 hours and found some nice shells. Unit is a mini version of home with everything you need plus has internet and cable TV with numerous stations. They were also kind enough to upgrade me when I arrived to a room that had a king size bed. I stayed for 4 days and when I get back to the area will be booking with them again as price is very reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank TDe3855
Also consider these accommodations in or near Englewood
Sun Life Beach Hotel
#6 of 13 in Venice
Sun Coast Inn
Sun Coast Inn
#4 of 10 in Englewood

Been to Englewood Bay Motel & Apartments? Share your experiences!