“This place is still open??”
Review of Susie's Station - CLOSED

Susie's Station
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Collier County must not have health codes!!! Was there in 2008 hated it. Sounds like it has gotten worse.

4  Thank Savannah69960

Reviewed 1 March 2014

What just happened? After a fantastic trip with Everglades City Airboat Tours, our party of four stopped here around 12:30 PM for lunch on President's Day. Let me just remind everyone to check TripAdvisor BEFORE you stop to eat. Our first clue about Susie's Station should have been the lack of cars in the parking lot; total car count = 0. As we got out of the car a young lady yelled from the porch asking if we were there for lunch. When we answered that we were, two of us heard her say that she needed to turn everything on. For those who are counting, we just missed clue #2.

We were told that the inside was closed and would need to sit of the porch. That's fine as it was a lovely day. The menu was a laminated place mat, one per table. She graciously gave us a second menu, and then said "We are out of Lobster Salad, Cheese Fries, and Coleslaw. The delivery truck didn't show up because we forgot it is a holiday." Clue #3 just went over our heads. My wife ordered lemonade to drink; they were out of it. My wife then ordered ice tea. You guessed it...out of it. Clue #4 and you are probably assuming that we are the four densest folks on earth. Finally three of us ordered Diet Coke. By now there is another group seated for lunch and they order sodas as well. Let me just mention that the sodas were served in cans. As the waitress was coming through the door with all of the sodas stacked on a tray, you guessed it, the cans all hit the ground. She laughed it off and went back inside to get us unshaken sodas. At least we assume she replaced them all since none of us got sprayed when we opened the cans.

For lunch we ordered two crab cake sandwich platters, a burger platter, and a veggie burger platter. The platter consisted of the sandwich, a bag of Lays potato chips, and a pickle spear. That was $12.50 for each crab cake sandwich, $10.50 for the burger, $2.50 for each can of soda, and I don't recall the price of the veggie burger. I truly believe that all of this food was microwaved, especially since the waitress told us the cook didn't show up. The crab cake was about 1/4" thick and obviously frozen. My guess is Mrs. Pauls. As if things couldn't get any stranger...read on.

As we ate others stopped by to see the Gift Shop that was advertised on their sign. Yep, it was closed. Someone asked to use the restroom. Yep, it was broken and they are waiting on a plumber (see other reviews dating back to Mar. 2013).

Our "checks" consisted of a piece of paper with a dollar amount circled. There was no itemization. The other party that was having lunch questioned their total bill and were told that the tip was included. We were asked to pay in exact change or small bills because we were the first party that was served and they didn't have any change. I forgot to mention....cash or travelers checks only folks, after all this is a high class operation. My bill somehow came to $36.44 and I told the waitress that I was not leaving $40 for this meal, especially if the tip was already included. She told me to give her $20 and she would go......wait for it....wake up her boss so he could go get change! It was 1:30 in the afternoon. I'm not sure where he went for change.

Driving away from this place we pulled up the TripAdvisor reviews. Other reviewers have asked how Everglades City can allow this place to operate, and I agree. If I lived in Everglades City I would be embarrassed to have this business in town.

5  Thank jdw81959
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I laughed seeing that the bathroom wasn't functioning in other much earlier reviews. It's February 2014 and the bathroom STILL doesn't work! We were told they were waiting for a plumber. Ha!
Honestly, I am not sure how they have a license to serve food! The waitress, who was also the cook, and the cashier, and dishwasher, took my kids out see the owner's bird after our meal. We got to parade through the kitchen and go out to the back porch. Wish I had seen the kitchen before we ate! And it was remarkable we were even able to eat-- so much was unavailable-- allegedly because of a big festival in town over the weekend. Not sure why it would take 3 days to stock up on more coleslaw and ice cream. There were a million excuses --- but the poor lady was doing her best. Not sure what the owner was doing, besides scaring her, however.
The locals don't eat there. Don't waste your time and money eating there either.

4  Thank Megan6340
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Closed on Sat nite? Closed on Sat nite? Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?Closed on Sat nite?

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Happened to enter Everglades City on a hunger impulse one day in July 2006. Ended up in Suzie's Station for a burger and pie. If I had been 14 years old looking for a place to sneak a smoke between classes this place would have been perfect, since it already looks and smells like a gas station ash tray. This place is quite possibly the filthiest joint in the southeast. Where I come from restaurants are inspected by the county. This one would have been closed. The food is no better. The prices pure extortion. The toilet didn't work in 2006 either.

2  Thank Doug0126