“Take a sunset tour with Captain Rodney instead of the Park Service tour” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Everglades Backcountry Experience with Capt. Rodney Raffield

Everglades Backcountry Experience with Capt. Rodney Raffield
Ranked #11 of 35 Tours in Everglades City
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the beauty and wild life of the Everglades on a unique fishing and/or wild life trip through the 10,000 islands with a 5th generation native guide. Capt. Rodney Raffield will take you to places unknown by most. Trips leave from historic Chokoloskee Island.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Bowie, Maryland
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Take a sunset tour with Captain Rodney instead of the Park Service tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was planning to book the National Park's sunset boat tour but found out about Captain Rodney on Trip Advisor. Although it was more expensive than the Park's tour, I am SO glad I spent the extra money. Captain Rodney is such a wonderful guy and excellent captain. At the start of the trip, he asked what we wanted to do. You can personalize your experience. It was also nice that it was just me and my husband and not other tourists. Captain Rodney had put some fishing poles on the boat and we stopped at one place to do some fishing. I had never fished before so it was a cool experience for me. He also took us to a bird roost and we got to see hundreds of birds arriving around sunset for the night. We stayed there a long time and it was great to see the birds up close. I got the best sunset pictures ever. It was a relaxing evening and enjoyable experience.

Visited April 2014

Punta Gorda, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unforgettable experience with Capt. Rodney!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Went out for a half day with Captain Rodney and we will never forget the experience. We saw and learned a lot and I think even Capt. Rodney learned a few things while out exploring with us!

We woke up before the sun rose and had some coffee on our patio at our motel a block away from the meetup with Rodney on Chokoloskee island. The sun showed it's first rays and the roosters crowed for day! A great start to our day. We then walked to the meetup with Rodney a block away from our motel at 7:15 am. The weather was gorgeous, not a cloud in the sky and the water was very calm.

We did some exploring of a few ancient Calusa islands, some fishing and even got to fit in a visit to one of the outer barrier islands (Jewell Key) where the Everglades/Ten Thousand Islands meet the Gulf of Mexico! We fit all of this in in a half day on the water.

Captain Rodney is very friendly and accommodating to whatever it is you want to do. Just let him know what it is you want to do and he will make it happen. He's very flexible. Whether it be fishing, photography/video, exploring or kayaking - he can make it happen. Captain Rodney knows this area very well and his family dates back six generations in the Chokoloskee area so he's about as native as it gets! He's a very honest Captain/Guide. Other guides/captains in the area may lie to your face and tell you the fish are biting when they know they are not biting. Capt. Rodney will be honest with you. Fact is there are always many factors to a good day of fishing and Rodney will still do his best to make it happen for you.

We went out with him on a day where the fish weren't really biting but with his expertise he still got us a couple catches. We left very satisfied with a fresh beautiful catfish and a few bags of fresh fish filleted for us. Rodney cleaned, gutted and filleted the fish for us when we got back to the island and gave them to us in a bag of ice! We were in a bit of a hurry when we were done with our trip with him as a friend had to get 3 hours up north to go to work later that night otherwise Rodney had offered to show us the way to a place that would cook our fish fresh for us right then and there!

To summarize our trip - we were able to get some amazing photographs and some great video as well. Visited ancient Calusa islands and saw some historic sites. Mixed in some fishing in different places for different fish and actually had some luck and brought home some fresh fish. Saw a baby hammerhead shark. Saw dolphins. A beautiful bird rookery. Made it out to a gulf barrier island (Jewell Key) and it was quite the beautiful sight on a gorgeous day. Accomplished everything we wanted to accomplish and more in just half a day!

Captain Rodney also had kayaks available. He can strap in the kayaks to his boat and take you to calm remote locations where you can paddle around if that's what you want to do. That's a great service and one I will take advantage of next time.

I will be visiting with Captain Rodney again, for sure! Great fishing guide, great local knowledge, and simply a great guy.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sir W
Savage, Minnesota
“Fishing the Everglades”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I spent two days fishing with Rodney, my wife joined me for the second day based on my experience on day one. Rodney is a very knowledgeable guide, we caught good numbers of snook in some very beautiful places. He also takes the time to share his love of the animals and birds that also share this area.I recommend his service.

Visited March 2014
San Fidel, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Just a Genuinely Good Guy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Spending a day with Rodney offers a lot. He definitely knows his fishing and gladly shares his knowledge. Beyond that, he is just a really compatible guy. He is interested in getting to know his clients, and even on a day when nothing would bite (with Rodney we have yet to have that experience), I suspect the day would still be memorable.

Visited April 2014
Tampa, Florida
“Fun family fishing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Captain Rodney was friendly and accommodated our wishes to let our young sons try fishing and also see the bird roost at sunset. We saw a Roseate Spoonbill, which was a highlight, and the boys caught Red Drum and Sea Trout.

Rodney is willing to make the trip work for your needs, I would highly recommend his service. The sunset trip was also excellent.

The Youngs

Visited March 2014

Travellers who viewed Everglades Backcountry Experience with Capt. Rodney Raffield also viewed

Everglades City, Southwest Gulf Coast

Been to Everglades Backcountry Experience with Capt. Rodney Raffield? Share your experiences!