“Snook Heaven”

Captain Derrick's Guide Service - Day Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Back country and offshore fishing in the Everglades;around the 10,000 Islands in Everglades National Park. We can take up to four people and license and tackle is provided. We offer 1/2, 3/4 and full days. Captain Derrick is coast guard licensed and insured, has been in the business for 16 years and is a local native. Most coveted species are snook, redfish, trout, tarpon, and snapper.
Naples, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Snook Heaven”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Took a charter out with Captain Derrick on March 6 with my two cousins. We caught our our bait in the morning and with the wind blowing hard, we traveled far up into the backcountry of the Everglades. The first spot we tried landed us right in "snook heaven"! We caught a boatload of snook and got our three keepers. We had to leave because a big storm hit but Captain Derrick drove us safely to a remote vacant cabin to wait it out. A great time and never stopped laughing the whole day. Always helpful when you cast your bait into the mangroves! Derrick is born and raised in Everglades City and know every inch of the area and great spots to fish. Always a memorable experience to fish with Captain Derrick and can't wait to do it again! Bob Stahl, Naples, FL

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Spottail2014

Tampa, Florida
“Great Day on the Wqter”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

As an avid fisherman, I probably put in 75 days a year on the water. I have fished Everglades National Park a handful of times in the past. Based on a referral, my December 27th 2013 was one of my top five fishing experiences ever. My girlfriend, goddaughter (12 years old) and I left Chokoloskee Bay around 8:30 am on Captain Derrick Daffin’s 24 foot Pathfinder. The boat and gear were all in top condition and Captain Daffin (or Double “D” as my goddaughter called him) could not have been more friendly and accommodating.
While leaving Chokoloskee Bay “Double D” asked me what I wanted out of the day and I replied to catch fish and most of all make sure my goddaughter has a wonderful day on the water that she would never forget. He delivered on both. We caught ten different species of fish including a ton of large snook, reds, a couple of the obligatory catfish and even a puffer fish.
“Double D” was very knowledgeable about the environment and answered all the questions we posed to him in a professional manner with a lot of humor mixed in. He even got some dolphin to surf and jump in the wake of the boat which my girlfriend and goddaughter loved. My goddaughter baited her first hook that day and Captain Daffin gave us all tips on casting and landing fish. He provided history of Everglades City and his family.
Upon arriving back at the dock around 4:15, “Double D” asked my goddaughter what she thought and got a one word response “awesome”. Mission accomplished.
I will definitely be back on the boat of Captain Daffin in the future. If you ever want a truly unique fishing experience, I recommend you try out Everglades National Park and “Double D”.

F. B. of Tampa

Visited December 2013
Orlando, Florida
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Fun day and great fishing with cpt. Derrick”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My friends and I fish somewhere every year. We fish for Salmon in Alaska and Tarpon in Costa Rica. We also fish in Boca Grande but this trip to Everglades City was a big surprise. Fishing with Cpt Derrick was not only fun as his knowledge of the area was amazing but he put us on some great fish. We caught numerous large reds and some serious snook. My largest snook on the trip was 36 inches and I broke off a couple that were larger. Cpt. Derrick will have to put up with us again as we will be back. THANKS Capt for a great trip.
Mack Parker

Visited November 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Memorable”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

From the time we met Derrick at the restaurant for breakfast he was just a blast. Great personality and funny. His real asset is the ability to put you on fish. I had fished for years on the piers of Florida for snook and never caught one. My first snook with Derrick was 30". That just made my day. I will definitely be back. Beautiful scenery and great fishing. Good music to but I don't know about the singing LOL. Thanks Derrick for a great day.

Visited October 2013
ldaffin, Owner at Captain Derrick's Guide Service - Day Tours, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to review. We appreciate your business and are truly glad you enjoyed your day!
Panama City, Florida
“First Snook”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Captain Derrick is a hoot. We laughed and cut up the whole time we were with him. A friend and I spent Sept. 4 & 5, 2013 with him in the Everglades Snook fishing. He is a great guy and a great guide. The Snook were not biting very well, but Derrick searched until he found them. I caught my first Snook with him. My friend caught a 36" Snook. We both caught our limit of Red fish both days. WHEN I go back, I will fish with him again.
If you want to catch fish in the Everglades, go with Captain Derrick Daffin. He will do everything to make sure you catch some fish. Great guy and great time. Couldn't ask for a better person. I now think of him as a good friend.

Visited September 2013
ldaffin, Owner at Captain Derrick's Guide Service - Day Tours, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and post a picture; We appreciate your business and are sincerely glad you enjoyed the day!

Capt Derrick says hello and hopes to see you again soon!