“Second Visit”
Review of Ivey House

Ivey House
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Everglades City is not for every one and it can be different at different times of the year. I hear the Seafood Festival in mid February brings in more than 60 thousand people, great food and great music. Mostly, however, it is a sleepy little town reminiscent of what Florida probably was like before it became condo-ized. I couldn't find a bank or a supermarket though there might be one hidden somewhere. There is a hardware store that supposedly has a bit of everything. What I like about Everglades City is that it is by natural beauty. There are great places to kayak, canoe, fish, hikesurrounded and learn about the unique ecology of the area. It is also easy to walk to restaurants or a nice sunset water view.

Now to the the Ivey House. Its a pleasant (not fancy) inn that is conducive to meeting other people (from all over the world) as you can have a nice filling breakfast each morning in their relaxed group dining room. They are also eco-outfitters with a great selection of kayaks, canoes and guided tours. We went up the Turner River with John as our guide - he was incredibly informative and entertaining. We also went on our own into Chokoloskee Bay where we saw dolphins and manatees. How cool. The Ivey House is a great base for a winter get away when you want to do something interesting and outdoorsy. Everyone there is extremely helpful and pleasant. Prices are reasonable but not inexpensive (in the inn). We found it a good value.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 January 2009

Room in annexe constructed similar to those found at State Parks built under the New Deal programme. Room was fairly spacious and the use of shared toilet facilities did not present a problem during our stay. Hot buffet breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the area and the excursions available..

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 3 January 2009

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds are nice. The lobby and surrounding areas are nicely decorated. The pool looks great and felt heated, although I did not swim. We stayed one night in the Inn, where you have a private bath. (We had planned to stay two nights.) For $170 a night I would like to be more pampered. The best part of the room was the bed. The bed was very comfortable. But the bathroom left a lot to be desired. There was no bar soap, only liquid. There was no body lotion. The shower head was terrible. I like the water to come out with a steady and broad flow. The sink did not drain properly and the stopper did not work. The breakfast was just okay. There was a nice variety of foods. The eggs were cold and dry. The fresh fruit was sour. I would have liked larger napkins. The tea and coffee were delicious. We were very disappointed. The website made it all sound so nice. I would have been more satisified if the room had only cost $100 a night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heidimt
IveyHouse, Managerial Assistant at Ivey House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2009

First of all, I would like to thank you for staying with us! I apologize that you had a negative experience but please rest assured that we are doing everything possible to address your concerns.

We were the first hotel in Collier County to be designated “green lodging”. We made the decision to reduce the consumption of natural resources by going to liquid soap, as opposed to individual bars of soap and shampoo/conditioner. Along the same line, we use water efficient shower heads and faucets to conserve water. Our housekeeping staff has checked the stoppers in our rooms in order to assure that they work properly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

We are reviewing the hot breakfast buffet in order to assure that our selections are the freshest and best available. As far as the size of breakfast napkins goes, again, this is part of our desire to be as “green” as possible and keep wastage to a minimum.

Reviewed 2 January 2009

I skimmed the most recent reviews and was surprised at the differences of opinion, especially since I probably crossed paths with one of the reviewers---I stayed at the Inn over Christmas.

I'll say right away that I knew a stay in EC was going to be pricey, but did my homework and opted for the Ivey House as last year, on a one day visit during a drive across to Sanibel, I checked out accommodations. I was glad I chose the Ivey. I wanted to do some kayaking and take a boat trip and just enjoy the location, which is just what staying at the Ivey allowed me to do.

My room was fine, my decorations and furnishings were certainly not ageing (though I stayed in the newer part of the complex, not the original). Clean towels, spotless empty fridge, comfortable bed and cable tv, which I appreciated. I did brave the pool one day, it was on the chilly side but I still managed a few laps.

Breakfast was filling--a godsend if you're about to head off on a kayak trip. The staff were knowledgable about everything, especially the restaurant openings on Christmas Day. I did a kayak trip on Christmas and it was spectacular, despite the odd sun shower, the prefect way to spend the day. Our guide was wonderfully accommodating---as I had a fractured shin and needed to enter and exit my kayak carefully, but still managed thr trip with no problems at all!

I ate at the Rod and Gun Club (interesting), the Seafood Depot (great mahi mahi on Christmas) and opted for a Subway my last night after a great sunset cruise through the 10,000 islands. Havana House, down the road, does a great cafe con leche and Cuban sandwich as well.

I don't know if I will stay in the area again anytime soon (I'd like to see the eastern part of the park, which is fuerter away) but I sure had a wonderful time on this trip! But remember, you are in the Everglades. It is quiet---and beautiful---but definitely not a big city. If you're OK with that, you should have a fine stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Kittygal

We enjoyed having you as a guest as much as you enjoyed your stay with us! I was definitely impressed at your kayaking in spite of a broken leg.

I wanted to let you know that I looked into the temperature of our pool. We have replaced the in-pool thermometer and increased the temperature from 80° F to 82° F. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Reviewed 29 December 2008

The hotel is probably the best of a very bad selection in Everglades City. It is not cheap for what you get and the prices can only be justified by the absolute lack of competition in the town. We stayed there three days last week. The pool was cold, not heated at all (the staff claimed that it was maintained at 80 degrees, I measured 69).

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

I am sorry that your experience with us was not what you expected. I wanted to let you know that I have looked into your concerns and addressed them. We are a “green” lodging and because of this maintain our pool at what may be a slightly lower temperature than some other hotels. We strive to keep our use of natural resources as low as possible. We have since replaced the in-pool thermometer and increased the temperature from 80° F to 82° F. Thank you for bringing this to

Reviewed 20 December 2008

Not a good value for the money.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelingRetirees60
Reviewed 5 December 2008

We were not as impressed with the Ivey House as other guests and can not understand everyone’s raving reviews about it. The staff were really friendly and helpful and gave plenty of advice on what to do and where to go but forgot to tell us how to get back into the accommodation after going out for our evening meal – they lock the main door after 9pm and we spent a good 10 mins wondering where we were actually going to spend the night.

Another funny situation was that we tried to check in 15 mins before the 4pm check in time and was told that our room was not ready. This was not a problem and we proceeded to wait by the pool, however as soon as we sat down a member of staff came over to tell us the room was ready. It felt they were being awkward as we were slightly to early to check in. When we got to the room we checked out the fridge to find a used take-away box with the remnants of a steak with garlic sauce, our room didn't smell too pleasant after opening it up.

The room itself was very basic with aged decoration and appliances. The bottom of one of the beds had stains on which could have easily being covered over with a valance. We are convinced the bites we got all over our bodies, which were covered when we went out during the day and evening, were actually from the beds. The majority of our 12 towels had been well used as they were stained and heavily bleached.

On the plus side the price is cheap and does includes breakfast, but I suppose you get what you pay for!

This hotel seems to be the best of a bad bunch in Everglades City as there are not many other places to stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
River Wilderness Waterfront Villas, Everglades
Rod and Gun Club
Rod and Gun Club
#1 of 2 in Everglades City

Been to Ivey House? Share your experiences!