Everglades City is not for every one and it can be different at different times of the year. I hear the Seafood Festival in mid February brings in more than 60 thousand people, great food and great music. Mostly, however, it is a sleepy little town reminiscent of what Florida probably was like before it became condo-ized. I couldn't find a bank or a supermarket though there might be one hidden somewhere. There is a hardware store that supposedly has a bit of everything. What I like about Everglades City is that it is by natural beauty. There are great places to kayak, canoe, fish, hikesurrounded and learn about the unique ecology of the area. It is also easy to walk to restaurants or a nice sunset water view.
Now to the the Ivey House. Its a pleasant (not fancy) inn that is conducive to meeting other people (from all over the world) as you can have a nice filling breakfast each morning in their relaxed group dining room. They are also eco-outfitters with a great selection of kayaks, canoes and guided tours. We went up the Turner River with John as our guide - he was incredibly informative and entertaining. We also went on our own into Chokoloskee Bay where we saw dolphins and manatees. How cool. The Ivey House is a great base for a winter get away when you want to do something interesting and outdoorsy. Everyone there is extremely helpful and pleasant. Prices are reasonable but not inexpensive (in the inn). We found it a good value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the magic of this secret paradise located in the heart of historic Everglades City. The Inn is the first Florida Certified Green Lodging in Collier County and features free WiFi, a scrumptious breakfast, a relaxing pool, and a friendly staff available to assist you easy access into unique and breathtaking areas of Everglades National Park. For 30 years the Harraden family has provided travelers ways to explore this World Treasure. Make a Dream Vacation Your Reality! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Ivey House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ivey House Hotel Everglades City
- Ivey House Everglades City, Florida