“Ivey House B&B in Everglade City, FL”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ivey House

Ivey House
Calif
“Ivey House B&B in Everglade City, FL”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2009

What a nice little place to stay in the Everglades! The hotel looks like it has been recently remodeled. Nothing fancy here but everything is very neat and clean. It looks like new paint inside and out and all the floors are tile. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They serve a nice buffet breakfast every morning which is included in the price. The selections change every day. The rooms are situated around the swimming pool and the area is screened in. Each room has a table and two chairs outside the door in this area. We sat out there every night for a cocktail. WI fi service is also available and it worked around the pool which was convenient. We were delightfully impressed and it is conveniently located to lots of fun things to do and places to eat. Don't rely on the AAA Book here, don't think it was even mentioned. .

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sunshine711

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2009

It was hard to plan this trip. We booked it from Germany several months in advance and had no idea on what it would be like. But via email we established very friendly contact and were well advised about what to do there. On arrival ALL the staff proved to be very friendly and helpful. We were especially interested in getting to know the plants and animals of the area and for several trips we got very knowledgeable guides. We went to 2 day trips and on a five day camping trip - at any time we had the feeling it was safe and well organized.
We would love to come back.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

We stayed in the inn the night before leaving for 5 days of kayaking in the Everglades. From the moment we walked through the door the staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms in the inn are large, clean and comfortable. We rented the kayak from Ivey house and we were shuttled to the starting point on time. The continental breakfast has enough variety for everyone's tastes. The food was fresh and well laid out on tables. I travel extensively on business and Ivey House is excellent value. While it is billed as a bed and breakfast, it is big enough to be classified as a hotel/motel. In spite of its size, it still has the homey feeling of a traditional B&B.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Northampton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

Everglades City is not for every one and it can be different at different times of the year. I hear the Seafood Festival in mid February brings in more than 60 thousand people, great food and great music. Mostly, however, it is a sleepy little town reminiscent of what Florida probably was like before it became condo-ized. I couldn't find a bank or a supermarket though there might be one hidden somewhere. There is a hardware store that supposedly has a bit of everything. What I like about Everglades City is that it is by natural beauty. There are great places to kayak, canoe, fish, hikesurrounded and learn about the unique ecology of the area. It is also easy to walk to restaurants or a nice sunset water view.

Now to the the Ivey House. Its a pleasant (not fancy) inn that is conducive to meeting other people (from all over the world) as you can have a nice filling breakfast each morning in their relaxed group dining room. They are also eco-outfitters with a great selection of kayaks, canoes and guided tours. We went up the Turner River with John as our guide - he was incredibly informative and entertaining. We also went on our own into Chokoloskee Bay where we saw dolphins and manatees. How cool. The Ivey House is a great base for a winter get away when you want to do something interesting and outdoorsy. Everyone there is extremely helpful and pleasant. Prices are reasonable but not inexpensive (in the inn). We found it a good value.

• Liked — Works best for people who like outdoor activities and touring.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2009

Room in annexe constructed similar to those found at State Parks built under the New Deal programme. Room was fairly spacious and the use of shared toilet facilities did not present a problem during our stay. Hot buffet breakfast was excellent. Staff were friendly and knowledgeable about the area and the excursions available..

• Liked — Ideally positioned for start of Everglades kayak tour.
  • Disliked — No en-suite.
  • Stayed January 2009
Dade City, FL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2009

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds are nice. The lobby and surrounding areas are nicely decorated. The pool looks great and felt heated, although I did not swim. We stayed one night in the Inn, where you have a private bath. (We had planned to stay two nights.) For $170 a night I would like to be more pampered. The best part of the room was the bed. The bed was very comfortable. But the bathroom left a lot to be desired. There was no bar soap, only liquid. There was no body lotion. The shower head was terrible. I like the water to come out with a steady and broad flow. The sink did not drain properly and the stopper did not work. The breakfast was just okay. There was a nice variety of foods. The eggs were cold and dry. The fresh fruit was sour. I would have liked larger napkins. The tea and coffee were delicious. We were very disappointed. The website made it all sound so nice. I would have been more satisified if the room had only cost $100 a night.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heidimt
IveyHouse, Managerial Assistant at Ivey House, responded to this review, 15 January 2009
First of all, I would like to thank you for staying with us! I apologize that you had a negative experience but please rest assured that we are doing everything possible to address your concerns.

We were the first hotel in Collier County to be designated “green lodging”. We made the decision to reduce the consumption of natural resources by going to liquid soap, as opposed to individual bars of soap and shampoo/conditioner. Along the same line, we use water efficient shower heads and faucets to conserve water. Our housekeeping staff has checked the stoppers in our rooms in order to assure that they work properly. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

We are reviewing the hot breakfast buffet in order to assure that our selections are the freshest and best available. As far as the size of breakfast napkins goes, again, this is part of our desire to be as “green” as possible and keep wastage to a minimum.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

I skimmed the most recent reviews and was surprised at the differences of opinion, especially since I probably crossed paths with one of the reviewers---I stayed at the Inn over Christmas.

I'll say right away that I knew a stay in EC was going to be pricey, but did my homework and opted for the Ivey House as last year, on a one day visit during a drive across to Sanibel, I checked out accommodations. I was glad I chose the Ivey. I wanted to do some kayaking and take a boat trip and just enjoy the location, which is just what staying at the Ivey allowed me to do.

My room was fine, my decorations and furnishings were certainly not ageing (though I stayed in the newer part of the complex, not the original). Clean towels, spotless empty fridge, comfortable bed and cable tv, which I appreciated. I did brave the pool one day, it was on the chilly side but I still managed a few laps.

Breakfast was filling--a godsend if you're about to head off on a kayak trip. The staff were knowledgable about everything, especially the restaurant openings on Christmas Day. I did a kayak trip on Christmas and it was spectacular, despite the odd sun shower, the prefect way to spend the day. Our guide was wonderfully accommodating---as I had a fractured shin and needed to enter and exit my kayak carefully, but still managed thr trip with no problems at all!

I ate at the Rod and Gun Club (interesting), the Seafood Depot (great mahi mahi on Christmas) and opted for a Subway my last night after a great sunset cruise through the 10,000 islands. Havana House, down the road, does a great cafe con leche and Cuban sandwich as well.

I don't know if I will stay in the area again anytime soon (I'd like to see the eastern part of the park, which is fuerter away) but I sure had a wonderful time on this trip! But remember, you are in the Everglades. It is quiet---and beautiful---but definitely not a big city. If you're OK with that, you should have a fine stay.

• Liked — That everything was close by
  • Disliked — The pool WAs a tad chilly
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank Kittygal
We enjoyed having you as a guest as much as you enjoyed your stay with us! I was definitely impressed at your kayaking in spite of a broken leg.

I wanted to let you know that I looked into the temperature of our pool. We have replaced the in-pool thermometer and increased the temperature from 80° F to 82° F. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Everglades City
River Wilderness Waterfront Villas, Everglades
Rod and Gun Club
Rod and Gun Club
#1 of 2 in Everglades City

Been to Ivey House? Share your experiences!