The resort plantation is huge! So, a few things to be aware of:
1) If you're staying in a villa, you could be a long walk from the main pools/lobby/restaurants. This probably isn't an issue for you if you're choosing a villa, but definitely something to be aware of if you're planning on eating your meals at the on-property restaurants. Also, beach/pool towels are picked-up/dropped-off at the hotel pool, so... bring your own if you're at a villa to avoid the walk. :)
2) The hotel is very large, with tons of rooms that I *think* all face the ocean. Ours was a very nice room - the bed & bedding felt new (firm & comfy), and towels were plush (as opposed to thin / bare). Lots of outlets around the sink for those who need to plug in everything from a toothbrush to hairdryer to curler to whatever. In general the resort has undergone a huge renovation since the last year, so it's a good time to enjoy "newness" of an older property.
3) The room ac's work REALLY well, so well you can get quite chilly if you leave it on with the fan set to high all night. (We figured that out real early the first morning, ha.)
4) There's more than just pools & the beach here - there are small lakes for fishing, hiking trails, on-site golf course, putt-putt, nature center, bike rentals, and playgrounds for kids. The grounds in general are beautiful. Yes, some other people lament about having to open your wallet, but understand you're not at an all-inclusive. You don't HAVE to do any of those things (hey, come on, the beach & pools & trails & playgrounds are all free!), but other stuff to do is there if you want. Make sure to check out the website for activities to find what's happening on the days you're around. For us, we love the beach, but sometimes need to give our kids a "break" from the sun & sand to do other activities.
5) The breakfast buffet is pricey, but if you can swing it, it's fantastic. Fresh gourmet breads, local honeys, omelet station, etc. Pretty much anything you can ask for. Plus, kids 5 and other eat free at the buffet. Watch out for the weekends - you may want to go early because it can get crowded. My only complaint is the outside seating doesn't have enough shade - it's beautiful because you can see the sunrise, but that sun can get hot fast out there!
We truly enjoyed our stay here (family of 4 with 2 kids under 5), and will definitely stay again if we're ever down Amelia Island way.
Oh, for those of you coming from the South, or interested in a slight detour, there is the St John Ferry just 10 miles south of the resort. Our kids got a kick out of riding it. Just a thought if you're driving in and want something different (it's about $6 or so for your car to cross on the ferry, and it runs every half-hour).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled at the tip of a barrier island just off the Northeast Florida coast, this AAA Four Diamond oceanfront resort features luxurious ocean view accommodations, family-friendly activities, grand on-site meeting spaces, and endless dining options. It's the perfect backdrop for your family vacation, romantic getaway, corporate event, or destination wedding. Relax on the largest multi-tiered pool deck in Northeast Florida, which features an adult-only infinity edge pool, a 10,000-square-foot family-friendly splash pool, a splash park water playground for the kids, two hot tubs, and oversized fire pits. Stroll down 3.5 miles of pristine beach or spend an afternoon kayaking and paddleboarding through Amelia Island's preserved marshlands, just a few of the many activities available during your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation Hotel Amelia Island
- Hotel Amelia Island
- Resort Amelia Island
- Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort Fernandina Beach