This was our second stay at Elizabeth Pointe. My husband and I were there last August before the sale of the property, and just got home yesterday from a 5-night stay. We saw differences--some good and some not so good. Here's our take:
PROS: As so many others have said, the beachfront location of this Lodge is wonderful. Steps away, beautiful views, wonderful beach. I don't know how you could beat this aspect of this property.
The new furniture in the lobby is very pretty and just the perfect look / feel for a beachfront lodge.
The breakfast each morning is quite nice. I think there would be something for everyone on this buffet.
We enjoy the privacy and spaciousness of the rooms in the Ocean House. This time we stayed in "Serenity," a second floor room with a king bed, non-ocean facing. The street noise is not an issue, and the beach is visible as soon as you step out of your door. We'd like to try to get the ocean-facing room on another visit, but it is in high demand. The first night of our previous visit, we stayed in the lodge in a queen, ocean-facing room and asked to be moved because both the room and the bathroom were so small we could barely turn around.
The young woman who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful.
Many of the previous employees have left; and while some of the new folks are nice, some are not very warm at all. I believe others have mentioned a breakfast room employee, and we concur. The vibe is distinctly "I don't like people or this job."
We had issues with the bathroom in our room. It is very spacious and could be great, but it needs work. On the upside, the owner really tried to do what he could to improve what we encountered, and he apologized sincerely. On the downside, we were perplexed that the cleaning person did not report the issues to management and address them fully before we arrived. How do you miss sinks and tubs that aren't draining? Also, we were told on check-in that the General Manager was inspecting the room before we could check in? What exactly was he / she checking? This seemed like a pretty big miss. We can see that the new owners are working to address issues, and the ocean is pretty hard on buildings and plumbing; but the guests should not have to report issues such as this and be inconvenienced while they try to fix them (without any adjustment to the bill). In the end, we just dealt with a less-than appealing situation in the bathroom; but you shouldn't have to; and certainly not at $350 per night.
We had to ask to have the bed changed after three days (by leaving a note), and one day we were left with no bath mat. Not huge deals, but really shouldn't happen.
All in all, I would say we would go back and give it a third try. Some reviewers have been really hard on the new owners and don't like the idea of change. I get that some things may not be the same, but these people have only had the lodge for half a year, and I think they need more time to iron out the wrinkles. The property is just beautiful, and given some tweaks and personnel improvements, I think it can be just as good as it has been in the past.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elizabeth Pointe offers oceanfront relaxation with refined Southern hospitality. Wrap-around porches, beautifully decorated rooms, seaside dining at The Pointe Restaurant, 24/7 room service and staff to exceed your expectations will all be a part of your stay at Elizabeth Pointe. Relax in a rocking chair with a glass of sweet tea and ocean views from the broad porch and you will see why this Inn received the 2017 Conde Nast Best Service Award and is featured as one of Southern Living Magazine's Great Inns of the South. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Elizabeth Pointe Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elizabeth Pointe Hotel Fernandina Beach
- Elizabeth Pointe Amelia Island
- Elizabeth Pointe Lodge Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach