My wife and I have been visiting Amelia Island two to three times a year for the past five years. But this past Thanksgiving was one of our most memorable experiences thanks to Byron & Deborah McCutchen and the Williams House.
Since we are well acquainted with the island we knew of the Williams House but had never stayed there before. That will change. I can't imagine staying any where else now.
We drove from Atlanta and arrived past 9:00 p.m. but were warmly greeted by Byron who escorted us to our room on the second floor of the 1859 House situated directly next door to the original 1856 house. The bedroom/sitting room suite (MacGregor-Aury Stateroom) was tastefully decorated for Christmas, sending out a warm Thanksgiving warmth and glow that my wife still talks about today. A cozy fireplace, period furnishings and French doors to a balcony overlooking century-oaks dripping with Spanish moss added to the unbelievable coziness of this Victorian setting.
The next morning we were treated to breakfast in the main house, which was also tastefully decorated for the Christmas season. The breakfast was delicious, the company interesting and friendly and the decorations and furnishings fantastic. The sumptuous main house also boasts a large veranda with rocking chairs and a swing. You could sit for hours soaking in the beautiful north Florida ambience, watch the locals walk by, read, sip a mint julep, or doze off.
The accommodations also include the use of bicycles which I highly recommend. My wife and I rode to the marina where we bought raw shrimp directly from the shrimp boats and had it cooked by a friend who owns a downtown restaurant. We took a couple of pounds back to our "suite" and sat on our private balcony reading, watching the scenery and popping ice cold beers. The quaint town of Fernandina Beach is a short bike ride or walk away as are many of the other Victorian homes, pubs and restaurants that line the streets of this beautiful town which appears to have been stuck in a time warp of the late 1800s.
On Thanksgiving Day we walked around the corner to the Beech Street Grill for an excellent meal. Despite having to work on Thanksgiving the staff was unusually friendly and actually appeared to enjoy serving their guests. The food was excellent. We walked into town later to watch football at one of the local pubs and then back to the comfort of our luxurious accommodations.
The Williams House is not only beautiful and comfortable, but the owners are two of the nicest people we've ever met. They are sincerely interested in their guests and their comfort. We can't recall a Thanksgiving week that we enjoyed more than this one. The only downside was that the five nights we stayed there went by too fast.
We were not only impressed with the accommodations, but we felt the rates were more than reasonable for what we experienced. If is rare when you feel you are actually receiving more than you paid for. The Williams House is a great value for the money and leaves the guest with a desire for more.
We are already planning our next trip and stay at the Williams House. I have written a couple of other reviews in the past on other B&B's and have been critical, but in this case I couldn't find a thing to criticize. I hope others have the same experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our Williams House Inn has something to offer those couples seeking romantic Amelia Island getaways, pampering and rejuvenation, or respite from the distractions of everyday life amid our live oaks dripping with Spanish moss and wide verandas with porch swing. Rejuvenate yourself or your relationship at the Williams House bed and breakfast inn. Take a deep breath of history exploring by foot, bicycle, horse drawn carriage or trolley, all the treasures of the island. Soak up the sun on our wide sandy beaches. Our award winning Amelia Island bed and breakfast offers eleven distinctive guest rooms, ten with private baths in the Inn, Hearthstone House, and Carriage House, each celebrating the rich history of Amelia Island. We serve a two course gourmet breakfast each morning that will satisfy any taste. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Amelia Island Williams House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amelia Island Williams House Hotel Fernandina Beach
- Amelia Island Williams House Fernandina Beach