“A Wonderful Williams House Experience”

Amelia Island Williams House
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 December 2007

My wife and I have been visiting Amelia Island two to three times a year for the past five years. But this past Thanksgiving was one of our most memorable experiences thanks to Byron & Deborah McCutchen and the Williams House.
Since we are well acquainted with the island we knew of the Williams House but had never stayed there before. That will change. I can't imagine staying any where else now.
We drove from Atlanta and arrived past 9:00 p.m. but were warmly greeted by Byron who escorted us to our room on the second floor of the 1859 House situated directly next door to the original 1856 house. The bedroom/sitting room suite (MacGregor-Aury Stateroom) was tastefully decorated for Christmas, sending out a warm Thanksgiving warmth and glow that my wife still talks about today. A cozy fireplace, period furnishings and French doors to a balcony overlooking century-oaks dripping with Spanish moss added to the unbelievable coziness of this Victorian setting.
The next morning we were treated to breakfast in the main house, which was also tastefully decorated for the Christmas season. The breakfast was delicious, the company interesting and friendly and the decorations and furnishings fantastic. The sumptuous main house also boasts a large veranda with rocking chairs and a swing. You could sit for hours soaking in the beautiful north Florida ambience, watch the locals walk by, read, sip a mint julep, or doze off.
The accommodations also include the use of bicycles which I highly recommend. My wife and I rode to the marina where we bought raw shrimp directly from the shrimp boats and had it cooked by a friend who owns a downtown restaurant. We took a couple of pounds back to our "suite" and sat on our private balcony reading, watching the scenery and popping ice cold beers. The quaint town of Fernandina Beach is a short bike ride or walk away as are many of the other Victorian homes, pubs and restaurants that line the streets of this beautiful town which appears to have been stuck in a time warp of the late 1800s.
On Thanksgiving Day we walked around the corner to the Beech Street Grill for an excellent meal. Despite having to work on Thanksgiving the staff was unusually friendly and actually appeared to enjoy serving their guests. The food was excellent. We walked into town later to watch football at one of the local pubs and then back to the comfort of our luxurious accommodations.
The Williams House is not only beautiful and comfortable, but the owners are two of the nicest people we've ever met. They are sincerely interested in their guests and their comfort. We can't recall a Thanksgiving week that we enjoyed more than this one. The only downside was that the five nights we stayed there went by too fast.
We were not only impressed with the accommodations, but we felt the rates were more than reasonable for what we experienced. If is rare when you feel you are actually receiving more than you paid for. The Williams House is a great value for the money and leaves the guest with a desire for more.
We are already planning our next trip and stay at the Williams House. I have written a couple of other reviews in the past on other B&B's and have been critical, but in this case I couldn't find a thing to criticize. I hope others have the same experience.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Dainda

Reviewed 9 August 2007

My mom and I were looking for a little getaway that would include luxurious rooms and food with an opportunity to explore the history and charm of the old south. We were thrilled with our visit to the Williams House at Amelia Island in the most northern tip of Florida and right on the Atlantic.
The inn itself was impeccable (antiques, gourmet breakfasts, glorious gardens and grounds). Outside, resting on the inn's front porch swing on a quiet tucked away street dotted with enormous live Oak trees, truly made you feel like you had stepped back in time. Every detail of the Williams House decor was delighful and enticing to the eye. I probably spent over two hours just strolling through the commom rooms and gardens and taking in their charm.
Deborah, the owner, has a distinctive gift for finishing off every knook of the inn or grounds with some treat for the guestHer breakfasts served on period china were also exceptional and always seemed to include a delightful sweet. She and her husband Byron were so knowlegeable about the island's history, restaurants and shopping that each day they sent us off to experience a different aspect of the charm and beauty of this unique island. In the evening we took a horse and carriage ride around the island to view the beautiful old homes and churches or we strolled through the historic district to enjoy the great restaurants.
When my elderly mom was resting I was able to go for a swim in the warmest ocean water I've ever been in! (I am from Boston )and I was also able to get out at night to hear some live music.
This was such a fun trip and I would highly recommend the Williams House as your base to explore the shops, food, and natural beauty of this very charming location- Amelia Island.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My husband and I are frequent bed and breakfast travellers.
The inn keepers, Deborah and Byron were extremely gracious and could not do enough for us. We had special requests for candles....there they were. We didn't have to lift a finger to make dinner reservations or local sight seeing tours. Deborah did it all and then called our cell phone to confirn with us.
The entire property is beautiful, full of charm and has lovely antique furnishings. The rooms are tastefully elegant.
Bottles of water along with homemade cookies were in the room.
Breakfast is served at a civilized time between 8-10am.
There was also a coffee maker already programmed for earlier risers.
Delectable breakfasts,wine and cheeses at happy hour,or anything you wanted upon request.
There's even a precious kitty named Cinnamon,who keeps you company as your'e swinging on the front porch.
Conversation flows freely with the inn keepers and is most enjoyable. We even needed to have access to a fax and internet which was not a problem. Definately a fine place to visit.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 17 May 2007

My husband and I were looking for a quiet midweek getaway following a very hectic few months and booked the Williams House based on tripadvisor reviews and the B&B's website.

Here's what we liked:

Byron and Deborah were very personable. From making the reservation to arranging a carriage ride once we'd arrived, they were gracious hosts.

The property itself is gorgeous. Beautiful furnishings, nice landscaping and a lovely front porch swing perfect for rocking on while we waited for our horse-drawn carriage to pick us up.

Thoughtful little touches, like the robes hanging in our room closet and the candies in a little bedside cup, assured us we were staying at a B&B and not a cookie cutter motel. We also appreciated the mini-fridge that was available to all guests as it gave us a place to chill our bottled water and the plethora of area menus we could check out in order to make a dinner decision.

Now what we weren't so crazy about:

During our stay, there was considerable work being done on the outside of the property. Now being that it was midweek and we were the only guests, I can understand how it would be a good time to make repairs. Nonetheless, I was less than thrilled to discover paint noisily being scraped off the backside of the house when I went to read on our private porch following breakfast. Fortunately, there was a fantastic window seat inside our room and I took refuge there with my book.

The linens...while the bed was very comfortable and the fitted sheet nice and soft, the top sheet was the white,scratchy kind you find at a bargain-priced motel. That's fine if you're paying $70 a night, but at $220 a night, we'd have liked all the bedding to be premium quality.

Our private hot tub, so wonderful to soak in after our 4 1/2 hr. drive, turned out to contain not so clean water. The day after we checked out, my husband found himself covered in red, itchy bumps; the diagnosis, hot tub folliculitis, a rash brought on by bacteria that thrives in hot tubs whose chlorine and pH levels aren't properly maintained. While this condition is easily remedied with a topical medication, I did call the Williams House to let them know of this turn of events so that they could be sure to treat the hot tub before other guests found themselves similarly unlucky. Byron assured me that they always keep the hot tub's chemicals at the right level, and I'm sure that they are diligent about testing the water. Still, my husband and I have enjoyed hot tubs at other B&Bs and not had this experience. Plus, I was disheartened when Byron didn't offer an, "I'm sorry to hear that" in regards to my husband's folliculitis.

All in all, my husband and I would stay at the Williams House again, but we'd likely not opt for the room with hot tub and we'd certainly ask about what, if any, home repairs would be taking place during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rdtriptaker
Reviewed 29 March 2007

What a pleasure it was to stay at the Williams House! Byron and Deborah are truly passionate about their beautiful B&B. My husband and I were treated like old friends. The rooms are beautifully appointed with period correct furniture. Deborah is an amazing cook and went out of her way to accomodate me as a vegetarian. We loved it so much we decided to stay an extra day. Even though the room we were staying in was no longer available, they gave us another room the (Garden) equally as wonderful!! We didn't even have to move our luggage, we went out for the day and when we got back they had moved our luggage to our new room. We also arrived to fresh homemade cookies and fresh flowers. We can't wait to come back to this wonderful home and equally as wonderful owners.

Stayed: March 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 19 May 2006

We stayed at the Williams House in February. We were actually married out in the courtyard by the 500 year old live oak tree. Deborah and Byron were so incredible. They were so helpful and everything just went so smoothly and it was so beautiful. We even had a small reception in the parlor with cake and champagne. It was immediate family only and they made sure everything was perfect. We stayed in Catherine's Chambers and it was wonderful. We loved the huge bathroom and the fireplace in our room. The entire house was beautiful. They had set up breakfast for us at a nice table for 2 overlooking the yard. The breakfast was absolutely wonderful and so elegant. We wanted to go back on our anniversary but my husband is in the military and we will probably be elsewhere then. We will definitely go again before we leave Jacksonville. Everything was incredible and they make you feel special just staying. We couldn't say enough great things about the Amelia Island Williams House.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 April 2006

ELEGANT is an understatement here! Just beautiful! We love the Smugglers Cove Room with it's own private balcony and large jacuzzi....we would definatly return!! It made for such a wonderful private weekend for us! We so often look for just this, the private jacuzzi and that's hard to find!! The breakfast was just fabulous and so very elegant!! Definatly make a point to stay here!!

Stayed: March 2005
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 13 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 13 in Fernandina Beach
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Resort
Omni Amelia Island Plantation Re...
#6 of 13 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Amelia Island Williams House? Share your experiences!