“Worth a visit”

Fort Clinch State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: This state park preserves Florida's history.
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Love forts? We do!! This one is wonderful. It rained but who cares?
Delightful "soldier" led a tour.
The fort is in great shape. Built in 1867. Historically interesting and a must see here on the island!

1 Thank Smollyg

Edison, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well worth the trip.”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Fort tour very interesting. Would suggest you go in morning prior to heat of the day. We were able to see Trident sub pass by pier which was an unexpected treat. Beach beautiful. Park well maintained; loved the untouched natural beauty of the flora and wildlife.

Sebastian, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Well worth taking the time to visit this restored fort.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a fort that never fired a shot in war but the site of the St. Marys River is beautiful and it does have an interesting history.

1 Thank Harry R
Jacksonville, Florida
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Much to see”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Fort Clinch is more than just a fort that was never used. There is camping on the grounds, bicycle paths, walking paths and a couple places to park your care and go out on the beach. My favorite spot is the fort itself. The Union forces began building this fort during the war between the states but was abandon in 1864 (prior to the end of the war) because the U.S. Navy did such a good job blockading the entrance. The entire fort is open to explore with minor exceptions and there are both rangers and rein-actors on site to teach. Today was the hottest day of the summer so far but much of the buildings and tunnels are much cooler due to how they were constructed. You can go up to the mounts for the cannons to see outside the fort as well as take pictures with the mammoth weapons. The visit was both educational and fun as we got to explore the entire fort and see how fortifications were build.

1 Thank MezriDax
Charleston, South Carolina
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Windy day”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have to say I am usually bored at places like this but the tree lined road to get there, the rein-actors in uniform to answer your questions, the feel of the place all really takes you back. It was very windy and we made a video on the wall as though we were fighting to walk, pretty funny. You can go on the beach which was nice. The shop had cool things as well to get you in the right mindset of the place. I gave it a 3 only because you walk a lot and take in the history, great with kids but I was done in 30 minutes while every one else kept lagging around..again just my personal lack of attention; if you are a history buff like my Dad..you could spend all day. I cannot remember if we had to pay to get in, it was in 2012 I am thinking yes per car load but I honestly cannot remember.

Visited July 2013