“Very nice facility but disappointed in treatment”

Residence Inn Amelia Island
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Atlanta
“Very nice facility but disappointed in treatment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Booked a 3 nite stay at this facility and have mixed response to our experience. It's large for the location, centrally situated near a very nice stretch of beach, and has friendly staff. Our room was somewhat smallish, comfortable, and showed some signs of wear. Breakfast selections were very good and there was excellent servicing during the meal. We were delighted with the (unexpected) "party" with entertainment on the evening of November 1st.

There were 2 issues, however. The first was room price. I booked a reservation a substantial time in advance on the hotel website, and discovered, to my dismay, that an identical reservation made the week of our visit cost about $70 less than the one made earlier. I re-booked at the reduced rate, and cancelled the original reservation.

The second issue was room assignment. I had requested a room on a high floor in order to minimize noise. While checking in, the gentleman who assisted us commented that because of our membership in the Marriott Rewards program, that we were eligible for a room upgrade. He told us he had in fact upgraded our room, and that the room assigned to us was the better location. We were dismayed to find that this "upgrade" was on the second floor, next to the elevator, and had a wonderful view of the hotel HVAC system and noting else.

I do understand that there are better, and less desirable, rooms in any facility but I do NOT appreciate being taken for a fool. If, as a customer with some degree of loyalty, you market the exact room I booked at a better rate than the one you quoted me, I would expect that you would honor this rate for me, too, without any effort on my part. If you are assigning me the worst room in the hotel, I do not expect to be told it is "upgraded". I have received far more accommodating and pleasing treatment at far less sophisticated locations.

Room Tip: Carefully monitor room rates on any reservation made in advance. Check the room, and location I hot...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank like2travelAtlanta
RIAmeliaIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Amelia Island, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you so much for taking a moment to review our hotel.

I am glad that you were satisfied with the accommodations, and it sounds like you were here for FL/GA weekend, which explains the kickoff cookout we had on Friday night. I'm glad that you had a great time!

To address your concern about room price, this is a standard practice across industries. Prices change according to availability and can fluctuate. Many travelers find it advantageous to revisit their reservations and rates in cases like yours where a better rate can become available. I understand your concern and am happy you were able to book a better rate than your original reservation!

I am definitely concerned about your room assignment. I am certain that the front desk agent was not trying to fool you - it sounds more like a refresher in room locations is needed. I will share your situation with our Front Desk Manager so that we can address this learning opportunity. We certainly respect our Rewards members and I apologize on behalf of the team for your room assignment and the marketing of that room. I know that room and can understand that it certainly isn't a 'better location', especially if you had requested a high floor and minimal noise. I'm not sure if you had a chance to speak with a manager during your stay, but if not, please give us a call at (904) 277-2440 ext. 0. I am certain that one of our managers would appreciate the chance to reach an agreeable solution.

If you visit Amelia Island in the future, we would love the chance to show you a 5-star stay.

Thank you again for your feedback, and safe travels,
Casey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Roswell
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We traveled with seven other families on our fall break recently and stayed at the Resident Inn for four nights. First, the location was wonderful - our teenagers were able to walk back and forth to the beach with ease - as the beach is several blocks directly from the hotel. There was a spacious patio area with a fire pit for gathering in the evenings, a fair sized pool and hot tub. The morning breakfast was better than most we have had and the servers extremely attentive. The room was spacious and the kitchen had almost everything you could need for fill in cooking. The cook top was not very strong (steamed shrimp) so that was a little frustrating - but all in all a perfect place to stay. Also -- they welcomed our dog for a very fair fee. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: They offer two bedroom suites which would be better for traveling with teens.
2 Thank trvlngator
RIAmeliaIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Amelia Island, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us! 8 families together - that sounds like an amazing time!

We would love to have you again and hope to see you soon!

NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We had a mixed experience at this property. Ours was a really spacious, corner (i.e., pricier) top floor room, which made for a very quiet overnight stay. But the designers equipped the room with such large doors that you couldn't stand at the sink without the door bumping you, and the bathroom door (which opened into the bathroom, not out) was literally the width of the bathroom -- very awkward. The bedroom door eclipsed the closet door. It's a no-smoking hotel, which is good for the room itself, but we were assaulted by smoke every time we entered or exited the property, either from the pool area or at the front door. There was one trash can in the entire suite, even though there was a full kitchen, desk space, living room, bathroom, sink area and bedroom! And the single, tiny trash can was only in the shower/ toilet room. The room seemed fairly clean. The staff was very friendly. It was an easy 2-block walk to the beach. They offered refreshing lemon water at the lobby. The lawn maintenance folks thought it was really funny to blow sand and leaves directly on our car, even though we were trying to pull out of their way so they could blow (they were laughing about it; us, not so much). Breakfast was bigger and slightly better than the average included hotel breakfast, but not outstanding (nor did we expect it to be). So, for $160 for a weeknight, including tax, not sure it was worth it. Would possibly consider staying again, but probably not.

Room Tip: Recommend top floor and corner, but don't expect great room design; awkward doors and space usag...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anndalucia
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel.

While I'm glad to read about the positives of your stay, I'm alarmed by the actions of the lawn maintenance team. I've copied your story to my General Manager and he is taking steps to address that concern. We are sorry that you experienced that - it's inexcusable and not the type of memory we want you to leave with!

I also gave a heads up to our Director of Housekeeping about your room only having one trash can. We'll be checking our one-bedroom deluxes - I imagine your suite might have been missing one somehow.

Thank you for the feedback, and if you weren't able to speak with a manager about your concerns before you left, please give us a call at 904-277-2440 ext. 0. I'm sure one of our managers would appreciate the chance to find an agreeable solution.

Safe travels, and I hope we have the chance to earn 5 stars from you in the future!
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I can’t say enough wonderful things about this hotel. The rooms are huge, modern and immaculately clean– all include a kitchen as well. The hotel itself is also very modern and kept spotlessly clean. The staff are beyond accommodating and very friendly. Breakfast is also great– included a buffet of eggs, biscuits and gravy, waffles, cereal, fruit, oatmeal, toast, bagels, yogurt, etc. Tons of choices and best of all, it was free! You can tell this hotel is very well maintained and ran by amazing people...we will definitely be back very soon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Driving south from GA we selected this hotel based on it's proximity to the pristine Amelia Island beaches and our almost universal positive experience with many other RIs throughout the country. We were not disappointed.

The property is centrally located on the island and is beautiful with a modern Florida beach themed décor throughout. We arrived early however reception graciously allowed us access to our second floor studio room which we found stylish, bright and very clean. In fact, all staff we encountered were very professional, helpful and a pleasure to interface with.

The breakfast bar offerings included hot and cold selections including many healthy choice items which we appreciated. One suggestion to management, please consider adding a Greek style Low/No sugar yogurt. Many people these days are looking for items that are not so packed with sugar. The hotel offers not only the typical inside dining area but a very pleasant outside one as well.

If you are driving north or south on US 95 through this area and plan to stop for a day or two consider driving a little further off the interstate and head to Amelia Island with it's history, beaches, quaint downtown, and especially this hotel. You won't be disappointed.

1 Thank nwesterner2
Bonita Springs, Florida, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The staff was pleasant and the room was the decent standard but it smelled like dirty feet. We opted to pay more for the romantic promotion but had to notify them that the basket was not in the room. Then when it came it was on the small side compared to our expectation from the write up.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
RIAmeliaIsland, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Amelia Island, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel.

I apologize that you ran into an issue with your suite not smelling clean and fresh, and that your Romance Package was not in your suite upon your arrival. We work to prepare for our package guests ahead of time, and it looks like we dropped the ball here - for that we do apologize. Were you able to speak with a manager about your concerns? If not, I'm sure one of them would be happy to speak with you to come up with an agreeable solution. Please give us a call at your convenience so that we can find a solution.

Thank you for staying with us, and I hope we get the chance to earn 5 stars from you next time.

Forest Grove, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

We only stayed one night on our way to Disney, but this place would be very comfortable for a extended stay. It is nicely updated, great kitchen, good quality full breakfast is included. Best Residence Inn I've ever stayed at.

2 Thank travel2424
I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us!

We hope you had a great time at Disney!
I've passed your compliments on to the staff, and hope to see you and your family again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,393 reviews
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
#3 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#10 of 11 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Residence Inn Amelia Island? Share your experiences!