“Small Gem That Has Wonderfully Created Food”
Review of Merge Restaurant - CLOSED

Merge Restaurant
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Newly opened about two months ago. Dinners nightly plus Brunch on Sunday.
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I'm always so surprised when I see a negative review for a place I consider to be excellent. It is always possible that any restaurant can have an off night, but more likely there are just certain people who you just cannot satisfy.
This was our 2nd meal at Merge, our first being 3 years ago. At that meal, all six of us agreed it was excellent. At our meal last night, all three of us again agreed that the food was impeccable. My companions had the salmon (natural Alaskan, be forewarned -- they are about t change their salmon preparation to another recipe) and I had the crab nudi (unbelievably good broth, tons of accompanying mussels). Wonderful service, excellent sound track, modern artistic surroundings. Next time you're in Fernandina Beach GO FOR IT !!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Our wait person was great. The wine by the glass is a generous pour and the wine list is nice. But the quality of the food from two years ago when we last visited Amelia Island for a month is a disappointment. I love Osso Buco. Traditional Italian is my favorite, but I enjoy most variations. Merge Restaurant's variation came as a disappointment. This was a two bone cut, lower on the shank and not very tender. It came with plantains and a mango sauce. The sauce was good, but a little sweet and overly ambitious in flavor. My spouse ordered the Jerk Duck, which was PERFECTLY cooked, but also a little ambitious with an assault of flavors. He ordered the Conch Fritters as an appetizer and one was blackened beyond eating. I want to report better because we were so impressed two years ago, but I can't this year.

1  Thank CO2girl
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We enjoyed a terrific meal at Merge on a Monday night. Three foodies, all new to the location and we all felt the same. My salmon was perfectly cooked, the glaze and sweet potato purée perfectly balanced flavors. The flounder was also perfectly cooked, as was the sirloin steak with a really tasty sauce. Wine list was not huge, but plenty of lovely choices to compliment the menu. We found the food much better than other restaurants we have since tried "downtown". Service was not only welcoming, but attentive. We can highly recommend a reservation here.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I normally don't write reviews, but I recently had a wonderfully relaxed and romantic dinner in honor of my birthday at Merge.

In cozy, comfortable surroundings, my wife and I enjoyed some imaginative, innovative (great presentation!) cuisine that really impressed me! I'm a connoisseur of French Onion soup and I can honestly say Merge's version was one of the best (& most unique) that I've ever had; I also love Duck, and the Duck Breast--a perfectly cooked medium rare--was superb. My wife had the Escargot Puff Pastry & the Parchment-wrapped Flounder--both done to perfection--and she had to fight me off after I tasted them. Delicious!

Finally, the Cheese Cake Cream Brûlée was a fine finish to a memorable meal.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

My experience at Merge was an outstanding one. My girlfriend and I recently dined here while she was visiting. Can you say WOW!! The entrees were out of this world. We both tried the sirloin and couldn't of been two happier girls. Very flavorful with a very reasonable price for an upscale restaurant. I definitely recommend this place if you are dining in Fernandina Beach. Will definitely be back.