“The feel is casual, but the food is serious good”

LuLu's at The Thompson House
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: New owners/chef as of Summer 2010. Chef, Brian Grimley. Fantastic food, intimate location, menu changes weekly.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

It was Pirate Fest in San Fernandino and it gets crowded and loud. Fortunately we had made reservations at LuLu's. It was just a block from our B&B (The Addison) so we got to see some of the parade.

I have to admit that LuLu's doesn't look handsome but it has a local charm, and it has outdoor seating, which we always try to enjoy when available. And we got more local flavor talking with the next table.

Service was friendly and helpful, though not always knowledgeable. It seemed like the chef doesn't always inform the servers about that night's dinner.

The food was very good. My wife had the charcuterie plate (see pic) which included a pate and various meats such as capicola and soppressata, and I had the shrimp and grits (see other pic). She enjoyed her plate and I really enjoyed mine. Hard to beat fresh shrimp and grits, especially in the South.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I hadn't been to Lulu's in two years, and my boyfriend hadn't ever been. We ordered the Charcuterie for one which was amazing. We are both from the NYC Area, and miss being able to get great salami, mortadella, etc. It was delicious! The bread was toasted just enough so as not to be soggy or overly crunchy. Olives were very good too. I had the shrimp and grits again and was not disappointed. Lulu's has the best shrimp and grits I have ever eaten. My boyfriend had a cuban sandwich which he said was fabulous. For dessert we had the key lime pie and blueberry cobbler both of which were homemade and to die for! If licking the plates were polite i would have. Our waitress was so sweet and kept our glasses refilled without ever having to be asked. We went to Lulu's this past Saturday (two days ago) and my boyfriend has already remarked at least a half dozen times how much he enjoyed our meal. And he rarely does that. Definitely will be back before another 2 years go by. Make sure if you go, say hi to Miss Melanie, she's a doll.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I have been coming to Lulu's for several years now. We use to live in Jacksonville and would drive up to have dinner here, now we are residents. We started our meal with a bowl of steamed mussels in a Thai green curry broth that was really wonderful. I ordered the roasted Red Snapper that was served in a portuguese style sauce with tomatoes, capers, white wine, and olives on a bed of grilled polenta, this dish is heavenly.. My husband had the Ahi Tuna Bowl which the tuna was seared perfectly and the noodles and seaweed salad were simply sublime. We have both traveled all over the world and can truly say that Lulu's is one of our very favorite places to dine ~ we always have a delicious and memorable time here..

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I don't write many reviews so it has to be pretty bad for me to take the time to write this.

Food stunk and was way overpriced. I'm not a food snob and that hard to please but it was just awful. 2 others in my party agreed. Atmosphere is ok, staff is ok but food stinks.

3  Thank Waterguy305
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The outside garden and seating area is cute. It is a small place and was a bit warm inside where we had our meal. My husband had the crab cake sandwich and I had the eggplant small plate. Both were delicious and the service was good. Overall a little pricey but good