“Pretty good, although food was not uniquely imaginative”

LuLu's at The Thompson House
Price range: US$9 - US$28
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: New owners/chef as of Summer 2010. Chef, Brian Grimley. Fantastic food, intimate location, menu changes weekly.
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We ate at Lulu’s on Amelia Island on our last night on Amelia Island. It is advertised as a seafood restaurant, and the menu backs up that claim. It is an attractive place, with more tables outside than in. (Most of those outside tables are covered.) I ordered a Thai-spiced seafood dish that came with a mound of white rice. It was a decent quantity of food, and the amount of seafood was also nice. However, I must admit that I was surprised with the “normalness” of the dish. It was good, but about on par with the Panaang dishes of the Thai restaurants back home. I was expecting something that was out-of-the-ordinary, which this wasn’t.
Service here was very good, and I enjoyed chatting with the manager about the local seafood scene. They were all very nice people here who seemed to like running this place. Even though the food was not unusual here, I would still enjoy coming back, and I do recommend it.

1  Thank Larry W

Reviewed 16 August 2014

You are on an island and you want a piece of fish for lunch. Lots of places on the Island to get it but after three lunches at LuLu's, I can tell you that a fish sandwich and fries is out of this world. Large portion of fish on choice of baked bread that is as good as it gets on the Island. We had the mussels, prepared two ways this day. They came in a pot and were huge, delicious and great value.

The service is terrific and you know there is a top chef in the kitchen preparing your food. You will not be disappointed. I haven't had dinner at LuLu's but as you see in other reviews, it appears to be even better.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

What a charming little restaurant located behind the historic Thompson house in a restored carriage barn!
A romantic atmosphere inside, and a cozy outside atmosphere!
We had very good wines by the glass, a generous pour each for a reasonable price. Our dining was superb, as we ordered 4 lite bite plates to enjoy a bit of everything! Calamari and fried oysters were devine! On another night we had the mac and cheese/shrimp-chorizo dish which was enough to share, and the snapper with polenta was delicious and enough to share also.
Our visit was only 4 days, and we enjoyed LuLu's 2 evenings! We wish it were nearby our home!
Definitely a revisit on our next trip to Amelia Island area!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lulu's is consistently good because of the pride and professionalism of Chef Brian. He chooses fresh local seafood and prepares it to perfection. His tallent truly shines through in his sauses. The service staff is friendly, knowledgable and timely. My only wish would be that they improve the space, but it is always fun and delicious.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

LuLu's was recommended it us by some locals. It did not disappoint us. The restaurant is very relaxed and the service excellent and friendly. There is both inside and outside seating and kids are very welcome. The calamari appetizer was very good but the entree (red snapper with capers and olives among other things) served on polenta was delicious. The rest of my party was equally pleased. On my list of restaurants to return to.

1  Thank Gustatorius T