We traveled to this hotel the week of Memorial Day and were very happy with virtually everything. The service level is top notch, even by Ritz-Carlton standards. The hotel was extremely busy the first few days because of the holiday weekend, but even then the hotel had plenty of staff on hand. This was the case the entire trip. They anticipated every need and want, and an available staff member to meet or exceed it.
The hotel and rooms were in excellent shape and tastefully done. More upscale than your typical beach resort with a lot of wood paneling and nice furnishings. One odd things for a hotel that faces east (the beach): the curtains are not blackout curtains! Why?? I highly recommend a ocean view room-- they directly face the ocean (rather than a side view), so the ocean save sounds will come right at you. It's very relaxing!
My main complaint would be that the pool is quite small. In fact, a hotel with this many rooms could probably use more than one pool area. There were a lot of lounge chairs around it, but it all seems very crowded. We did not use this area at all for this very reason-- we either went to the beach or the spa pool.
If you go to the spa you have access to the spa pool that day, which is much more private and relaxing than the regular pool. Plus its hot tub has a waterfall in it.
The beach in this area is quite large. It is not beautiful white sands, but the sand dunes are pretty to look at. The shells in areas can be hard on the feet. Overall it was very nice. In late May the water was great. The attendants will set up chairs and umbrellas for you, and there is plenty of room to spread out on most days (maybe not on holiday weekends).
The restaurants in the hotel are good. Salt is a great treat. Cafe 4750 is good for breakfast. I would also recommend going into Fernandina Beach a time or two for dinner and to walk around their historic downtown. It's a neat little downtown area with some good restaurants. We tried Espana and Ciao Bistro and recommend both.
My summary tip would be to avoid a holiday weekend (try to go during the week as the hotel seems to be slow, or people are in meetings in the conference center during the day), and get an ocean view room. It's a great hotel with an even better staff!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immerse yourself in southern charm at The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island. With miles of pristine beaches to explore, you’ll find yourself basking in the glow of the sun as you swim, relax or walk along the sandy shore. As one of the most popular beach destinations on the East Coast, this luxury hotel in Florida provides a welcome barrier between you and the world beyond. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Odigeo, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Ritz-Carlton - Amelia Island Hotel Amelia Island
- Ritz Carlton Amelia Island
- Ritz Amelia Island
- Amelia Island Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island Fernandina Beach