“Waiting worse than the doctors office.”

The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Arrived after 4pm and the room was not ready. Had to wait an hour before we could check in. Then had to wait another hour for our luggage to be brought up. Came in one day and broken glass was all over the bathroom floor. When checking out had to wait for almost an hour for someone to come up and help us with our bags. we offered to come down to the lobby and get a cart ourselves but were told we could not do that. Then once we did get someone to come up and bring our bags down we ended up waiting once again for our car even though we had called for it while we were in our room.

1  Thank sunshine99999

Reviewed 25 July 2010

I couldn't wait to leave this hotel and was truly unhappy while I was there. I have stayed previously at the Ritz Carltons in Naples and Bachelors Gulch, which were lovely places. Stayed for 3 nights in Amelia as my husband was there for a conference. Since it was a few days after my birthday and therefore still my "birthday week" we splurged and paid over $500/night for an oceanfront suite---the only way to really get a straight water view in this hotel. The room was large but dated, charmless and drab, showing wear. The hotel's public spaces(apart from conference/meeting halls) are essentially nonexistant--- a small bar area/lounge directly opposite the entrance was really all there was besides a small room with a burning fire in the fireplace (yes, in July!).The bar/lounge area smelled of mildew/something unpleasant, a smell so bad I just couldn't sit there.They had some strong airfreshner smells all over the hotel, maybe to try to cover up the smell. Since it was steaming outside, there was really no-where else to sit other than my hotel room, not what I was hoping for. Additionally, the outside spaces suffer from a serious dearth of shade---no shade from trees or from awnings except for some at the outside restaurants or minor shade provided by personal umbrellas at the main pool, which in essence is a kiddie pool. If you want to swim lapswithout bumping into kiddies you have no choice except for the indoor pool, which is in a glassed in--and highly airconditioned-- room. That pool is not heated in the summer months, meaning that the water was too cold for me. The only other choice was the spa pool, which is in a small walled in area with no view or breeze, and was subject to noise from condo work being done next door. Usually you have to pay $25/day to use the spa facilities but I complained that I couldn't use the other pools to swim my laps and was given a complimentary pass.
We waited at least 10 minutes for a cab each time, even after pre-ordering from the room and being told the cab would be ready for us. Most hotels have cabs standing by, but not this place. Since I couldn't stand the smells inside, we stood waiting outside in the steaming heat, as there are no seats or benches there. Food I tried at the hotel was basic but at least in generous quantities. After spending approximately $1,800 on the room alone, I felt angry. This hotel brings down the name of Ritz Carlton.
PS---Just to show that I am not being a difficult snob---we later stayed at the JW Marriott in Orlando for $130/night. I loved that hotel and the room was great, no complaints.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank analyst2010
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Been going to this hotel every time we visit family in Fernandina. It’s showing some wear, especially in the bathroom but the place is still very well maintained and the service especially in the restaurants has always been exceptional. Only had cocktails at Salt but something definitely worth a try for the next visit. Sent feedback regarding minor issues and immediately got a call, email and letter from the manager of the hotel apologizing. You can tell they care. A lot.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2010

I write this while still here. This hotel is a sad place, not remotely up to the standards of a Ritz Carlton.

Our omelette order was screwed up, then replaced and screwed up again. The rooms have paper thin walls, old beds, pillows, etc. You will not sleep well. The toilet has a hard time succesfully flushing.

You get the point. It's not dirty, they seem to try, etc. -- it's just completely underwhelming.

2  Thank happytraveller123417
Reviewed 16 July 2010

This was our first tme to Florida and we hope to return to the same hotel next year. The service and ambiance were outstanding. Everyone was so friendly and quick to serve (we had a slow draining bathtub that they fixed within 15 minutes of us telling the front desk). While the rooms are not new, we found them to be very clean and convenient to a pleasant, leisurely stroll to the beach.
Our favorite restaurant was the one located in the hotel, Salt. We had lunch there our first day because we wanted to stay on the premises.Our waiter was friendly, quick and accommodating. The food was outstanding with nice little extras like fresh bread served with interesting butters (one was flavored with eggplant). Later, we explored other top rated local restaurants, but we all agreed Salt was our favorite.
One disappointing part of our stay was when the two teenage boys wanted to play pool, they were told they could not because it was part of the tavern, even though the tavern was not due to be open for several hours. They should have a similar set up for kids who just want to enjoy a game of pool or chess around a television (which were also in the tavern).
The beach combing was fun with a lot of different shells. The boys also spotted a sea turtle on the hotel grass.
Overall, a great experience

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2010

The Ritz Carlton, Amelia Island, is one of my family's favorite Florida resorts. Though, granted, its rooms and interiors can seem a bit dated and worn at times, and its not near much, the Ritz at Amelia is always much cheaper than the (in my opinion) over-priced Ritz hotels in South Florida; plus, service is always phenomenal.

At one point, while dining at Salt, it was the birthday of a member of our party, and upon finding out that he loved cooking, the sommelier or host (I can't quite remember for sure) took us back to see the kitchen.

Plus, the Ritz at Amelia has hired someone, Paul, whose sole responsibility is to make sure you're enjoying your stay. He's easily one of my family's favorite parts of our trips to Amelia.

Overall, the Ritz in Amelia is a wonderful resort.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Overall, our stay was just ok. In no way is this a 5 star resort, nor is it Ritz Carlton level. My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. The resort is overly geared towards children, and this is misleading on their website. We clearly did not get the memo; children outnumbered the adults 2:1 easily. We were unable to get lounge chairs at the pool by 7:45 am. Attempting to enter the pool got me hit in the head with kiddie pool toys, kicked, jumped on and splashed. IT was like Disney World, tryuly not the enjoyable relaxing experience we hoped for. We love kids, I work with kids, I of course expected many children, but this was way over the top. The resort caters to children, the "daily activities" list placed out everyday was 99% children activities. By the second day we were tempted to leave and they agreed to let us use adult only pool at the spa, which they normally charge $15 day for (which is outrageous). That pool was of course much nicer, relaxing, but walled off from any breeze.
The room was just ok. clean, except for the cracks in the bathroom caulking, and mold in the bathroom and corners of the bedroom. The bedsheet were high threadcount, but had holes in them! The towels by the pool were washed, but stained! Same with the cloth napkins! Truly disgusting.
The food was below average. We had to send 2 meals back, and were refunded, but all we wanted was a good meal, which we never got. Often times food was incredibly stale, vegetables were shriveled up, hot food served cold, etc. The wait staff were hit or miss. usually friendly (although not always) but often times flakey (asked numerous times for items, water glasses not refilled, etc)
The spa was decent, overpriced but that is to be expected. My husband has tennis lessons which he enjoyed. You of course were charged for parking. The extra room taxes, fees, etc were almost another $50 a day.
Overall the stay was not great, the staff was just ok, the rooms were below average, as was the food, and the overall environment of the place is way below what any Ritz Carlton (Or Marriot, for that matter) should ever be.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island? Share your experiences!