“Labor day weekend”

Amelia Hotel at the Beach
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Fernandina Beach
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I have enjoyed this hotel during my three previous visits to Amelia Island, However, I had to quickly find another hotel this morning due to last night, my first room's bathroom was filthy. We were moved to another room. This morning when we woke up, I noticed the mattress was stained and dirty. This hotel does not COVER the mattresses with a protective cover to protect customers from germs, bedbugs, and other disgusting filthy residues. All that was on the mattress that is used by hundreds of customers was a sheet!! I received a full refund. I am content now in the beautiful Residence Inn Marriot down the street. Never will I ever recommend this place. The furniture in the room was banged up, old, and serious health risk due to filthy mattresses that are not covered.

5  Thank Marie D
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

We are very sorry for your experience over the Labor Day weekend. Since you are a repeat guest, you know that is not the norm when it comes to our hotel. I have shared with housekeeping your complaints, and I hope you will come and stay with us again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The stain on the mattress is unacceptable, and has been take care of.

There are newer reviews for Amelia Hotel at the Beach

Reviewed 30 August 2013

I traveled to Fernandina Beach for a long weekend and chose the Amelia Hotel at the Beach - I am normally a Hilton/Hampton/Marriott guy but I wanted to step outside my comfort zone and also be as close to the beach as possible.

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful. There were minor maintenance issues and a few carpet stains, but certainly nothing to get in a twist over. I was in a 3rd floor king room, and I was never disturbed by noise inside or outside the hotel. The beds are much better than most 4-5 Star hotels, and the flat screen TV was enormous. The breakfast is what you would expect from a free hotel breakfast. No complaints there.

The hotel location and ease of parking is worth its weight in gold.

All in all, I would certainly consider this hotel if I travel to Fernandina Beach again.

Room Tip: West side view: Hotel Parking Lot East side (Ocean) view: Restaurant Parking Lot and A1A against...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Our location is an enviable one. So close to the sand and surf, without paying resort prices. We hope you come back soon. Off season is a terrific time to visit. The island is quiet, and the weather is amazing!

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Was very pleased with the room, we were on the 2nd floor, near the elevator, overlooking the parking lot. The only complaint was the mattresses ,in our room, were to soft. The staff was outstanding. The day we where to leave, my husband became ill, and was admitted to the hospital, thus adding 3 additional nights.to our stay. A discounted rate was offered to me, on a day to day basis for the room. The staff was so kind and concerned, I just can't say enough about them. We will def. stay there again. Thanks again

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the kind review. We were happy to host you for the additional nights, and completely thrilled your spouse is feeling better. Please come and see us again soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Loved the location. Stayed 2 nights @ $110 (including tax) per night. Many folks commented on the tired decor which I did notice a little but only because someone pointed it out in a prior review. But hey come on' its the beach. The room was nice and very spacious. The AC was already on cool when we arrived and that's not always the case at some places and the fridge was on and cold. The bed was extra comfortable and the air worked very well.
The staff was nice and had lots of information to offer concerning activities an dining.
The breakfast was OK. It was what we expected but we have just done too many of these waffle and egg assortment breakfasts
Again, the location was very convenient as it was just across the street from Sliders restaurant and Tiki bar and just across the street form the beach.
Will definitely return.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor and had a beach view which we were upgraded to. It was near the elevator wh...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Thank you so much for the kind words. It is always great when someone gets what we are. We are a beach hotel with great rates, and a ton of complimentary amenities. We want our guests to come, relax, and enjoy our area. Please come stay again soon. We look forward to it-

Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed here for a week with my daughter and grand-baby and overall it was comfortable. We had a room with Oceanview and it was pretty good- had a great view of the ocean. Evening desk clerk was very friendly, morning one not so much- did not smile at all. Morning breakfast was okay. They do offer a good variety including fruits. Room was clean. There is a tile foyer area for the beach toys which was good. The pool area is not baby friendly- there was an umbrella at a table for shade in the afternoon and evening but it was laying on the ground and tore up. I did tell the front desk about it and they said it wasn't theirs but individual owned and they would pick It up but it was there the next day. So if you have a baby take your own sunbrella. Both the entranceway doors are manual -not good for baby with stroller or carrier. Short walk across the road to the beach- not too bad. Got a good discounted rate for the room so overall would probably stay there again unless looking for baby friendly next time.

Room Tip: G for ocean view and not balcony. The balcony is not good.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna B
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Thank you for your review. I am happy your stay was overall satisfactory. I will share your ideas on ways to make the pool area more kid friendly. We are always open to suggestions and ideas on ways to enhance the guest experience. Please come and stay again.

Reviewed 18 August 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, the young man behind the desk told us we had a complimentary upgrade! WoW How very super of them! The room was great the beds were comfortable, fridge, but no safe, (they do have a safe at the front desk -- I used). Very nice breakfast, close to dairy queen, and right across the street from the ocean. Close to town. The staff was very nice/friendly. They kept ice water at the counter for whoever was thirsty. Nice. The price was perfect for 3 adults (2 seniors), and we defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann M
Amelia H, Guest Relations Manager at Amelia Hotel at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for your great review! We love guests like you, that enjoy themselves and the island. We are lucky to live here in our little island paradise, and are thrilled to share it with you. We look forward to your next visit-

Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stayed 2 nights at the Amelia Hotel at the Beach with my 2 teenage sons. We went to the beach and explored the local area.

I made sure to reserve a room with a balcony--at the cost of $180/night--so we would have a bit more room to spread out in the room and also enjoy a view of the beach. If you are thinking of a balcony as a light, airy outdoor space to enjoy a breath of fresh, salty air, you will be disappointed. The balcony was tiny, with a solid wall that reached my chest, so I was able to peek over the wall, but it certainly did not provide a sense of being outdoors. The window air conditioning unit spews noisy hot exhaust onto your legs as you take in the view...and scent...and noise...of the greasy restaurant dumpster area across the street. Yes, you may catch a peek-a-boo view of the ocean between buildings. Between the noise/heat of the air conditioner and the view/smell/noise of the dumpsters, the balcony was a disappointment in every way and certainly not worth the extra cost.

The room was nice but nothing exceptional--it had a fridge and microwave, which was good. The bathroom seemed new and everything was clean. The room had a large TV and a non-carpeted area to place sandy beach items. The bed was very comfortable and was the best part of the room!

They had cookies in the lobby in the afternoon, and the breakfast was standard, nothing exceptional but nothing bad either. The night desk clerk--I think her name is Wendy(?)--was fantastic. She deserves a 5-star, excellent rating for her friendly personality and helpful advice about where to eat etc... The guy at the desk in the morning was the exact opposite...he seemed grumpy and reluctant to replenish an empty item on the breakfast bar.

So, overall, we paid premium prices for an average room. The hotel is OK, decent, and safe...we had no specific complaints (except for the balcony), but there was nothing we just *loved* about this place. We stayed there...once...but probably won't be back.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for a balcony
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

We appreciate your review, and I am sorry we did not meet your expectations. It is interesting to me you booked a balcony room, because these only have 1 King bed, not room for 2 teenagers and parents. The terrace suite would have been a better choice because it has much more room, and the balcony hosts a direct ocean view. We do state our balcony rooms are in the middle of the hotel, and only offer a partial view.
As you can read from other reviewers, people love our staff! I apologize if you did not receive the treatment you deserve. We hope you come and give us another chance to give you a better stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fernandina Beach
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#10 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#11 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation

Been to Amelia Hotel at the Beach? Share your experiences!