“Very dissappointing”

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: A1A Highway
Description: PLAE Restaurant is Amelia Island's premier dining establishment. Our menu blends eclectic cuisine with artful presentation. Exceptional food and service in a contemporary setting, make this restaurant a must see on your dining agenda.
Reviewed 4 January 2009

Had heard and read good things about PLAE, but husband and I were very disappointed. The restaurant is attractive and the menu was alluring, but the salad was very overdressed, the veal chop was only ok (and for $48, overpriced for it's size) and the vegetable platter was embarrassing bland (no taste, just grilled vegetables). And to top it off, our waitress was pretty surly. With so many other better options, would not go back!

2  Thank SueSt

Reviewed 3 January 2009

I recently went to Plae on two occasions. I had to dine alone. Unfortunately my wife could not be there. I had a wonderful server named Shannon. She obviously has a good soul. She knew I had to dine alone yet she made me feel at home. She engaged me in good conversation that was quite humorous at times and made me forget that I was alone. The meals she recommended were spot on. I had the N.Y. Strip for dinner and vanilla bean cheese cake for dessert. The steak was cooked a PERFECT medium rare. The Chef is obviously very skilled. Ordinarily I don’t write reviews but this dining experience was too good not to comment on. To my surprise I read where another couple had Shannon as a server but was disappointed with her. Thats too bad, I think they are wrong. When you go there ask for Shannon, she will amaze you! The atmosphere and the servers at Plae are terrific! The hostess was also very accomodating. The music is great. The food and wine list are amazing! I am usually known as frugal but I didn’t mind paying for these two dinners, they were worth every penny. I would recommend to everyone, take the Plae experience you will be pleasantly surprised. Plae is definitely on my top five list!!!

1  Thank flboy72
Reviewed 12 December 2008

My Husband and I were up from Miami visiting relatives a few weeks ago. We have always loved PLAE and we were disapointed that the Gentleman that always waits on us was not there that night.. Instead we had a waitress named Shannon... she was terrible.. she was snippy, unattentive and more interested in joking with her coworkers then she was waiting on us..

Our food was wonderful as always and the atmosphere is always first class..

PLAE just needs to hire better wait staff ... we noticed that there were a lot of servers working that night but very few of them were actually waiting on tables. I realize it was slow but if they have time to joke around with each other then send them home because I came to eat, not listion to idle gossip..

1  Thank the_bennetts08
Reviewed 5 December 2008

Not impressed. After having the duck recommended by the waiter, I ordered it. It came like I would like yellow fin tuna. Sliced, slightly cooked on the outside edges but red and raw in the middle. I tried it but 'ecoli in fowl' kept running through my mind. I asked the waiter if this was the way it usually came and he said 'Yes, it's served medium rare.' I said I didn't like it uncooked and so he took it back to the kitchen and then came back with it in about 5 minutes still very rare. I ate the slices but then tried to get some of the meat off the drumstick and after using the knife on it for about 5 minutes I gave up. When I mentioned this to the waiter his reaction was only "Gee, I guess I should've brought you a better knife.' and then took the plate away. I left hungry and frustrated but the music was good.

1  Thank jastawa
Reviewed 18 July 2008

PLAE was recommended to us from several sources including recent TripAdvisor reviews. Here is our experience in a nutshell: 1) classy, en vogue setting 2) good attentive service 3) interesting dishes described on the menu 4) pleasant jazz and overall tasteful music playing BUT UNFORTUNATELY 5) the unremarkable food was served with uninspired presentation, consisted of exceedingly small portions yet was insultingly offsetting the exhorbitant prices. What a disappointment after the wonderful build-up! We had one undersized salad to share ($9), a grilled shrimp entree that was no better than Outback - 12 smallish shrimp on rice and bok choy ($26), ahi tuna on a few soba noodles ($30). We had no wine, drinks or dessert, just iced teas, and the bill was north of $80. Despite the ambiance and a very amiable server, our trip to PLAE (which stands for People Laughing and Eating) left us somber, hungry and poorer.

1  Thank iknowquality