“Simply outstanding”

Le Clos
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rochester, New York
1,918 restaurant reviews
“Simply outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We ate at Le Clos on our second-to-last night on Amelia Island, and it was perhaps the best restaurant we enjoyed during our weeklong stay. The food is French, although I'm no expert on French cooking it was FABULOUS. The restaurant itself is a very close and intimate setting of tables in a small dining room. (Probably not best-suited for very small children.) The staff, including the manager (Julie) is always nearby to take care of your every need.

As I recall, they had some very nice bread on the table, which I bypassed in favor of my vichyssoise (potato) soup, which was out-of-this world good. I mean, you can tell when a soup is home made versus out of a can, and this was no contest...my "soup of the week."

For my main course, I enjoyed an entrée of scallops which were perfectly broiled and placed on small beds of seasoned greens. These were then arranged around a neatly wound cylinder of pasta, seasoned and topped with a little tomato. It was absolutely amazing...just as nice for the visual display as it was on the taste buds.

Speaking of visual effects, the owners/managers of Le Clos have spent a lot of time ensuring that their restaurant is also aesthetically pleasing. Even the doors to the bathrooms are painted in some amazing artwork. (See my photo below.)

If you go (which I highly recommend), get a reservation, and then say hello to Julie, the friendly and ever-present "matron-d." (I just made up that term!) She, along with her staff, will ensure that you have a wonderful time.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank Larry W

Greensboro, North Carolina
“One of the best meals I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Everything was perfect. The setting, the service, and the food. You are close to other guests and it does get a little noisey, but not in a bad way. We started with the fish cake appetizer (sounds weird but it was DELICIOUS) and a salad with the yummy warm goat cheese. I had the scallops (amazing) and my husband had the duck. Dessert was great too, though a little more selection is never a bad thing. I did hear our waitress tell the table that sat down as we were leaving that they were out of the scallops (too bad for them, they really were amazing). The service was exactly the level of service one should expect when dining in a fine dining establishment (with fine dining prices). I cannot wait to visit again when were are in the area again next summer. I will be thinking about that meal until then.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank cecea586
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Loud but Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

The service and food are very good but the place is loud..tables are very close together and I couldn't hear my husband. We enjoyed our meal anyway and after people started leaving we were able to relax. I wouldn't recommend sitting in the room on the far right side. Maybe on the wall by the left side of the restaurant..

1 Thank Pchee72
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Best restaurant on Fernandina”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Lovely setting, fabulous staff. Very attentive & professional. We shared the special appetizer which was a fish cake of grouper & salmon-- outstanding! We shared a Ceasar salad which was well prepared. I had their signature meatloaf which had duck & beef and superb! My husband had the duck entree which he also enjoyed.
The only negative to the evening was a group of people ( from Pittsburgh) who were extremely loud & obnoxious the entire evening. This is a small intimate place where the tables are very close to each other. How unfortunate that certain people do not respect the feelings of the other patrons. What was supposed to be a truly memorable occasion was ruined by a few uncaring individuals.

3 Thank Louise J
Florida
“Great food, a bit too intimate”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

While the food and wine and service were all outstanding, the tables are on top of each other. We ended up chatting with the table next to us several times because you almost can't help it, you're so close. Considering we were there for our anniversary, it would have been nice to have more space. That being said, everything we ordered was delicious and they nicely wrapped up the wine I didn't finish for me to take home. There was plenty of wait staff to keep up with refills, etc. We'd go back, but I'd try to request a table that wasn't in the middle of the room, if possible.