“Excellent Casual Dining”
Review of Cafe Karibo

Cafe Karibo
Price range: US$0 - US$19
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Nice casual dining and atmosphere for the beach. Options of sitting outside under the shaded patio or inside, they brew their own beer which my husband loved. We had the fresh Popano which was cooked to perfection. I would love to go back. Only thing they should do differently is clearly mark the entrance and post a seating sign.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Karibo

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Loved that the rest of downtown of Fernandina had crazy wait times and just a short walk down 3rd Street is this jewel! Short 5 minute wait time and then prompt service. Awesome! We had a great server, Jordan. Enjoyed our table located in the breezy, beautiful courtyard. All of our dinners were good. If I had one thing to pick on Karibo for...is our delicious strawberry cake was too small, cut bigger pieces. :)

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Rare lunch date with my wife. She ordered the shrimp salad on a croissant roll which came with a small salad. Overall she was happy with her meal. I was pretty hungry so I ordered the Ruben sandwich. Being from the Northeast I appreciate the flavor and bulk of a good Rueben. What i got could have easily been slid under any hotel door your with your daily copy of USA Today and overnight stay bill. I mean really, that is what you pass off as a Rueben? This thing was half the thickness of an egg McMuffin. Doing it Panini style did not aid the visual. I also ordered french fries as a substitute for the included house potato salad (which I have had before and found tasty enough but as dry as a desert). Upgrade to fries add $1.99 ?? Anyway it was brought out with potato salad anyway and I had to flag down the waitress to get my fries. They were promptly delivered but on a plate with vague film around the edges Yeah, ughhh. Total bill $29.97 for the two sandwiches an iced tea and a Coke!!!! Pricey for a simple lunch on a Friday afternoon.
They are certainly not bad overall but today's experience will cause me serious thought before returning. Especially when my direct view near front window has me staring at a large decorative plate on a metal holder with enough dust on it to make me question the cleanliness standards.
Unfortunately this restaurant is typical.of most on the island. Start off good, slide over time then take their place swimming with the others in a sea of mediocrity. They all get away with it because during season there are a finite amount of eateries and large amount of tourists.

1  Thank Morgan T
Colin D, Manager at Cafe Karibo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Morgan,
Thank you for your input regarding your experience at the Cafe. I understand your frustration with the Rueben. At the Cafe we always try to think locally, and lately we have been testing a partnership with a local bakery. The rye bread was not up to our standards and we have since switched back. I'm glad your wife enjoyed our shrimp salad. As we feature only wild caught (and local when we can) shrimp, I hope that you can understand the value of a quality product. As for the "sea of mediocrity" that we are swimming in, I can assure you that we strive everyday to provide our guests with the best possible food and service we can. If you are unhappy with your meal, I would encourage you to give us a chance to do what we can to fix it.

Colin

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We swung by Fernandina on our way home from a weekend in Savannah. Found this place on Trip Advisor and decided to give it a try. What a pleasant surprise. The tree shaded outdoor patio is a lovely spot to enjoy a leisurely lunch. I had a fantastic curry chicken salad wrap along with one of their local brewed stouts. Wife had the Baby Baja salad. I tasted it and it was very good too. This place is a great alternative to the hustle bustle on the main street.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Came in with seven people last night, most were visitors to the island. Was told outdoor seating had been closed due to possible bad weather, yet saw people being served outside.
The hostess, although nice, did not seem to be able to come up with a solution and did not even ask us our name for waiting list.
Then Nicole (a cuter version of Anne Hathaway, with definite managerial skills) took over and handled seven crazy women. We ordered drinks and waited in the back courtyard until a table was ready. Nicole took our order immediately, so as soon as the table opened up, the food was ready. Now that is great planning and she was very courteous and attentive.
As usual, the food was delicious. Everyone was raving on and on about it. Only two of us had eaten here before. They all want to come back again, so it was a successful evening.