Although it is positive when a hotel undergoes renovation, it is not fair or acceptable to guests to endure the dust, dirt, disruption, and danger when workers are working in and around the rooms, corridors, and lobbies.
We booked five nights in February for an escape to this lovely corner of northern Florida. We wanted an ocean view room on an upper floor and paid an extra price for the view (unfortunately, a large dumpster was the first in our sight when we looked out the window). On arriving (after traveling over 200 miles), we were greeted with the noise and disruption of workers - and a sign at the desk about the renovations. Why did we have to learn about renovations upon arrival? Perhaps we would have made a different choice.
We were assigned a room on the second floor (because the third floor was "closed" due to the renovations) and saw the dumpster, so we ask for another room and were given one two doors further down the corridor (a little less of the dumpster view). The room was clean and comfortable. Later in the evening, we noticed that the ceiling in the shower was collapsing and there was debris in the tub - as well, the sink drained very slowly.
The next morning we alerted the front desk clerk and were told "we'll get that fixed right away." (When we left five mornings later, the ceiling had not been touched, nor had the sink been snaked.)
The most disturbing aspect of this stay, however, was the noise, dirt, and danger associated with the replacement of the tiles in the corridors, elevator, and lobby. The workers were constantly working around the elevator, with their equipment, fans, and cords draped dangerously across the floors and corridors. The dust and dirt permeated the area - and the carpet in the corridors got progressively soiled during the week (from guests tracking). At times, the noise was so loud that we couldn't talk to each other in the lobby area while we were working on our computer.
The frosting on the cake was one evening when we returned after dinner to find that the elevator was "out of service" because of the tiling. We are active seniors and took the stairs, but were concerned about others who might not be able to climb stairs.
We wanted a quiet peaceful, relaxing escape - and encountered a noisy, dusty, and dangerous situation. When we checked out we expressed our dismay to the desk clerk, who advised us to call the owners on Monday.
In three conversations with the owner, he was pleasant, but condescending - and pointed out that we had received a "senior" discount for the room (which is completely irrelevant to this situation). He offered us a 10% discount/rebate for our inconvenience - we feel that we experienced more than 10% inconvenience, but he will not bend from his stance.
When we questioned why he remained open during the renovation, he told us how nice the hotel would been when it is finished - we will never see it!!
He also told us that the front desk clerk that checked us in and assigned the second room told us that the room had a problem (the collapsing ceiling), which is not the case - we did NOT know about the ceiling - and wondered why she told us that they would "fix it right away" IF she had, in fact, told us about it at check in.
The bottom line is that although the owner says he cares about guest satisfaction, we cannot believe that is little more than paying lip service and the "party line." Avoid this hotel and the attitude of putting guest comfort and security at the bottom of the service ladder.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is 100% non-smoking with all-suite rooms. All rooms offer a seating area with sofa-sleeper, microwave/fridge, free hot breakfast, iron/ironing board, hair dryer, and free wi-fi. Our hotel is located steps away from main beach and only 1 mile from historic downtown Fernandina. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island Hotel Fernandina Beach
- Comfort Suites Fernandina Beach
- Fernandina Beach Comfort Suites
- Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island Fernandina Beach