“Eat like the locals!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We had asked a number of the locals where they like to eat and resoundingly the answer was T. Rays for breakfast or lunch. Most people said, "Get the burger." A few people thought we should go for breakfast and one lady just raved about the grits. She said, "I don't know what they do to them but they are the fluffiest grits I've ever had."

T-Rays is understated to say the least. Barely transformed from an old gas station, you might not even notice the small sign on the side of the building. We had been past it several times and never noticed the sign. There are always lots of cars parked around it, so we just thought it was a defunct gas station where folks parked their cars. Inside, the tables and chairs are all from the 1950's & 60's. There are a few tables outside as well.

We went on a Wednesday at around 11:45AM. There was a line with about 20 people. We picked up a menu by the door and stepped into line. At first I thought I would try the fish sandwich, but a lady at one of the tables next to where we were standing in line convinced me to try the burger. I got the Little T burger all the way, added cheese and a side of cole slaw. With a cup of water, my order was around $5.50. Not bad for lunch in a resort town! My lunch companions had a tuna sandwich and a hot dog with slaw. Oh, and a side of grits and greens.

When you order, the cashier asks your first name & then calls you by it as she asks about your order. When they bring the food out, they call your name & come find you with your food.

The Little T burger was juicy and just the right size for one person. The Big T burger must be enough to feed a family! The meat was juicy & the toppings were just right, especially the sweet caramelized onions. The tuna sandwich and hot dog were reportedly good as well. The hot dog was cooked on a grill. The slaw was good but not the type I like with a hot dog. It is tasty as a side dish, but a bit "wet" and sweet.

I'm sure we will go back & try some of their other offerings! Two thumbs up!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Wow what a great tasting burger! I barely finished the small T burger loaded. But for you larger appetites there is the BIG T burger. Well worth every penny. Steak fries oh my! And yes it is in an old gas station(rotary numbers on the tanks no digital here)

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Get the Big T loaded! A delicious burger in an old gas station converted into a burger joint! Best burger in Fernandina Beach!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hype is true. Delicious burgers! It's always packed and yet the line is always fast. Efficient and friendly staff. Everything i've ever had there was delicious. Great spot

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Dont let the gas station fool you, this place has great food at good prices and has been dishing it out for years. The burgers and fries are home made and always soooo good. My friend always gets seafood of some kind and loves it every time. Parking is limited...Try to go at an "off" time to get a seat!

1  Thank Ginny B