“Beautiful, relaxing, clean, and "Old Florida". :-)”

The White Orchid Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 12 Flagler Beach B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Webster, Florida
“Beautiful, relaxing, clean, and "Old Florida". :-)”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Since I’ve never stayed in a B&B-type place of this sort before, I can’t truly compare it. I can only speak of my experience here. Also, I didn’t use the spa facilities, so I can’t say anything about that.
I stayed for three nights in the “Room to Relax”, which, I believe is one of the smallest rooms, but the size was perfect for me, since I was by myself.
The White Orchid Inn is an extremely clean and spacious facility, with an “Old Florida” feel to it. The décor is MEANT to give you the feeling of being in someone’s Florida home from the past. For example, my parents built our home in 1963, and the tile in the hall bathroom is of a color that was popular then, but is no longer available. (When my mother tried to replace one broken tile a few years ago, she had no luck finding a match.) Well, although the tile in the bathroom of the “Room to Relax” is white, the color of the walls almost PERFECTLY matches the tile that I saw everyday of my youth. Many things in this room, and in the Common Room of the Main Building, sent me back in time to my childhood home, or to the homes of my Grandmothers. That was pretty darn cool. :-)
As for previous reviewers who complained about mildew… You know what? This is FLORIDA. We fight humidity 24/7, especially this close to the water. There WILL be mildew stains in white grout. Get over yourselves.
The air conditioning in this room works perfectly! It cools the room down very quickly, and, you have two ceiling fans as well. There are several outlets for all of your charging needs. There is also a blow-dryer, iron, ironing board, two large beach towels in the closet, and a small fridge with two bottles of water in it. You also have two extra glasses (in addition to the two in the bathroom) sitting on top of the fridge, with a corkscrew and a box of matches for the scented candles in the room.
I REALLY love the bathroom in this room. The walk-in shower is very roomy (no curtain needed), and the water pressure is nice. The counter-top is generously high, the toilet is in a small room to itself, with a pocket door. There is a pocket door for the entire bathroom as well.
The Inn provides beach chairs, which are great to take across to the beach just before sunrise, sit back and relax, and watch the sun come up in quiet reflection. There is beach access RIGHT AT this inn. The Flagler Beach Pier is within walking distance of the inn. You essentially have your own private beach. The Inn also provides two fat-tire bikes for guest use. The sidewalk that runs the length of A1A in front of the Inn is great for biking!
My room had a nice-sized fridge, and a 19” tube TV. If you want a coffee-maker in your room, you will need to request it before 6:00 p.m. There is no microwave in this room, which was a small inconvenience to me when I had a huge early dinner with friends, but had to give away my doggy-bag to my friend’s husband, because I realized that I wouldn’t be able to heat it up and enjoy it later that evening. (This is where I should point out that the Common Room {lobby/kitchen} is closed to all of the guests in the two back buildings from 6:00 p.m. until 8:30 a.m. During those hours, it becomes the exclusive living room space ONLY of the guests in the three Main Building rooms. So, I guess if I had been in one of those rooms, I could have heated up my leftovers(?).)
As I came in from watching the sunrise around 7:00 a.m. my first two mornings, I saw people returning in their cars from the 7-Eleven (1/3 mile from the inn), with cups of coffee, or from the Burger King and McDonald’s (4 miles from the inn), with a very small breakfast, to hold them over until the Inn serves breakfast (from 8:30 to 10:30). I did that on my third morning.
The layout of this room is such that you can’t see the 19” TV if you are sitting at the table, due to the bathroom wall jutting out. You are also about 10’ from the TV, if you are sitting on the inside end of the futon, which is a bit far to view a 19” TV (IMHO). Another guest told me that there was a large flat-screen in their room, but this room has a smaller tube TV. I ended up moving the table over to the space between the bed and the dresser where the TV sits, on my last night, so that I could work on my laptop WHILE watching TV (can’t miss The Walking Dead!!!). You can also bring in the two chairs assigned to you from the balcony, if you don’t like sitting up in the bed to watch TV. The TV provides Bright House Cable, and includes all of the HBO channels.
Speaking of the balcony… it is really wide and generous. And I can see the water quite well from my end of the balcony. The only (very small) issue I had with the balcony was that the light stayed on all night, and the wooden blinds on the double glass doors of this room are not able to block out that light completely. That MIGHT be an issue for people who prefer complete darkness when they sleep. Speaking of sleeping… although the bed was a bit harder than my back can handle (seems to me like hotel beds are like slabs of rock, as a general rule), the sheets are soft, soft, SOFT!!! Felt so good!!! The pillows are the standard type that most hotels have. The colors all match up with the soft, natural décor of the room, which is blue, turquoise, and tan. Berber carpet. Very relaxing.
Speaking of bedrooms, I got a chance to see all three rooms in the main building, and the bedroom part of the Orient Room would be TOTALLY DARK for sleeping. Very nice. :-) I walked in there, and didn't want to leave. lol If I ever get a chance to come back, I’d like to shoot for that room.
I didn’t try breakfast my first morning, because my friend took me down to Oceanside Restaurant . But on mornings two and three, I was able to enjoy the amazing breakfasts! They don’t offer just one specialty… No. You can choose from three or four quiches (including a vegetarian quiche), omelettes of various kinds, sausage gravy and biscuits with cheesey scrambled eggs. She had me at “sausage gravy with biscuits”. They also have three different kinds of breads (like banana bread), with a home-made cream cheese spread… delish. :-) Fresh fruits. Three different kinds of juices. Regular and decaf coffee. Two different kinds of cream or milk, and hot tea. On my final morning, I had an omelette with EVERYTHING, and it was fabulous!
I was here mainly to spend time with my friend, and therefore, wasn’t around to use the spa, or mingle with other guests during the Social Hour (3:30 – 5:00 p.m.) in the Common Room. However, the other guests that I ran into when I came up to my room the first night, and when I came in from my second sunrise visit to the beach, were very friendly, and I had some nice chats with them. Here is a run-down of my contact with the staff… Bob (the owner) checked me in. One of the other guests introduced me to the woman who takes care of our rooms (I believe her name is Carol), and she was extremely sweet. :-) I loved the fact that Carol takes care of spiffing up your room while you are at breakfast. I also got a chance to chat with Shelly, the woman who makes the wonderful breakfasts, and she was also very pleasant to chat with. And lastly, Tracy was in the Common Room while I had breakfast on my final morning, and she was also friendly and pleasant. Keep in mind that, at that time of the day, they are working to keep breakfast flowing smoothly, and don’t really have time to chat. I got there near the tail-end of breakfast that third morning, when there was just a touch more freedom to visit with the guests.
Regarding the restaurants in the area… Blue is about a block down A1A. I had dinner there my first night. I took the table that they first offered me, which was immediately to the left of the door, but I wish I had known about the inner room with the fireplace… I just didn’t notice it when I walked in. I felt like “Baby” being put in the corner, like from the movie Dirty Dancing. Noisy, busy, and I also noticed a lot of people being seated there, then asking to be moved to that inner room. What I ordered was good, but it seemed like the menu was just a bit limited, and pricey. On Day 2, I tried the Oceanside Restaurant (just a short distance south on A1A), and the Flagler Fish Company. I HIGHLY recommend both of those places! More casual and friendly, and a LOT more choices on the menus!!!)
In conclusion, keeping in mind the few, minor inconveniences, I’d highly recommend the White Orchid Inn. :-)

Room Tip: One of the three main rooms will give you 24/7 access to the Common Room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank sanka61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Florida
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We are never disappointed when we stay here. The location, the atmosphere, the staff, all make this the perfect weekend retreat. It is our special occasion indulgence. This year it was our anniversary, thank you Bob, Karen and the entire staff for making it another special escape.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house or near the mineral pool are the most private.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Rooms super clean and large. Beautiful pools and spa area. Exceptional beach view across A1A.
Great selection for seat down complimentary 5* bfast. Staff friendly and more than accommidating. It is the best Flagler Beach has to offer.
Don't miss this little gem for a quick get away.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Aberdeen
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Yes, another wonderful stay, we have been to the White Orchid about 5-6 times now, and each time we love it even more!!! Karen and Bob let you have your space and enjoy the property. Though the Inn was full 2 out of the 3 nights that we were there, we felt like we were the only ones there! The room was very clean, and as always, after a made to order, delicious breakfast, the room had already been freshened up. We enjoyed 2 afternoons, just across the street on the beach and came back and cooled off in the pool.
A little slice of heaven, can't wait to return!!!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at this inn for our anniversary upon recommendation of a friend. We stayed in the top floor room of the main house that had a private balcony. The room has tons of light and is very cheery, so much so that in the morning you won't be able to sleep in. :)

The bed was comfortable , and they use the same sheets the Canyon Ranch spa uses , so they are very luxurious feeling. Our room had a tiny fridge and they provided bottled water ,comfy spa robes and pool/beach towels. (Some of the downstairs rooms looked dark so I would stick to the balcony room or maybe the top rooms in the second building , or the room off of the mineral pool in the building by the spa.)

Be aware the ocean is across the street. But it is only a 2- lane street and there are no buildings blocking your view. At times the street did get pretty busy.

I wouldn't say the property is as nice as it looks in pictures. What I mean by that is that we stay in a lot of 4-5 star resorts, at times for the same amount of money we paid here. I expected bedding/furnishings/bathroom to be a bit more upscale for $200 plus a night...I guess it is just that it could use a little bit of paint here and there and maybe nicer bedspreads, just little things that would give it a little more upscale feel. They did have some cool antiques, and I think it is important to note that most of the properties on the beach are older homes in general so they don't expect a modern feel. (Our bathroom had dark green tile and marble sinks with a gold trimmed shower- very outdated but very clean.)

The main room is light and airy , and you have a fantastic view of the ocean while you enjoy breakfast. We thought breakfast was great, especially the omelets and yummy homemade breads with orange butter. (Quiche was just so-so) There is also a cute coffee shop directly next door too that serves breakfast items and has outside and inside seating.

The pool area is small but has seating and lounge chairs-overall it is cute and relaxing. They have mellow music playing in the main room of the house and outside around the pool as well , which adds to the ambiance. The mineral pool was our favorite. Since it is primarily an adult inn they let you stay in the pool as late as you want , as long as you aren't super loud. We floated around staring up at the stars for hours on floats they provide.(Yes, you can actually see stars in Flagler!) The pool is just the perfect temperature of warmth (not as hot as a hot tub) and was probably the neatest thing about the inn. We were lucky because we were the only ones in it.

They have older bikes available so we used them to take rides along the ocean in the morning which was awesome. They also provide plenty of umbrellas and beach chairs for you to use as well. I really think the inn is in an excellent location. It is close enough to walk or bike to places but not too close that you have to worry about noise from surrounding businesses.

I read the review that said the staff was "snobby" I have a hard time believing this because the customer service was excellent. The staff and the owners were very friendly and accommodating even when we couldn't make it out of Orlando in time for our spa appointments that night and had to reschedule them for the next day.

Speaking of the spa, I work in the spa industry and I have done some consulting so I am pretty particular...I think the spa was cute. (it is tiny). They had some cool Japanese decorations, but I agree with a previous reviewer that it is too light. They need to darken it up a bit with some low lighting or LED candles. The massage room was very light, although when they flip you over they do use an eye pillow. They also use hot aromatherapy towels with the couples massage which I loved. My therapist Tammy, was excellent and had 12 years experience. My husband said his therapist had great pressure (we did deep tissue massage) but that she needed to slow down a bit because her movements weren't fluid or flowing and she went a little too fast. Something that is easily fixable so hopefully the spa will read this review. We have had a lot of massage so I feel he is a pretty good judge. He still said that he felt much more relaxed then when we went in and she worked out some tight areas he had. I didn't have a facial but they use Yonka products which is a good line and everything smells fabulous so I am sure that their facials are great.

All in all I would recommend this inn, I do hope they do a little updating with the décor because then it could be really amazing. I think it would be a cute inn to rent out for a small wedding party so I am going to recommend it to a friend of mine as well.

My husband and I will probably return somewhere down the road and I know if I sent my parents there for a weekend they would love the inn as it is (they aren't quite as picky as we are!) ***This was our first time to Flagler Beach and we explored the beaches north of us. They are really pretty and generally secluded which is nice. It is a very slow pace so don't expect a bunch of night life but there are a few bars. We went to Marineland and went kayaking which was awesome. It is a short drive from St. Augustine too so you could easily go there for the day as well. I recommend exploring the little towns between Flagler and St. Augustine, Bing Landing had some of the best BBQ we have ever had and we used to live in Texas!

North Port, Florida
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I came to the White Orchid Inn to celebrate our 6 year anniversary and to enjoy a last getaway before the birth of our second child. Every detail was so well thought out from the fresh bottles of water left in our room each day to the beautiful antique glassware used at meals. The breakfasts as well as the Happy Hour were all very good; well presented and offered a nice variety. The spa was heavenly and I do not recommend missing out on an opportunity to get pampered by a very caring and sweet staff. My husband really enjoyed the quiet pace of Flagler Beach and though our trip was not " action packed" we left feeling refreshed. The owners were great taking the time to really connect with us each day and also offering advice on dining and activities in the area. We stayed in the Courtyard / Lilac room which was very large and roomy with a comfortable king size bed. Some of the best sleep I have had away from home! Also my husband especially loved the warm mineral pool. This is a place not to be missed!

Room Tip: Stayed in the Courtyard/ Lilac room. Detached from the main house, close to the pools, nice king si...
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We have returned time and time again to the White Orchid Inn, primarily because of the ambiance and the staff. The rooms are always clean and well-maintained. The mineral pool is delightful, and we have spent many hours lounging by the swimming pool. Bob and Karen, the owners, are fantastic at anticipating needs and making you feel that you are part of the charm that is Flagler Beach. Their breakfasts are wonderful, and their happy hour dips are fantastic. We will continue to visit the White Orchid Inn, although we almost don't want others to find out how great it is (we want to be able to get reservations)!

Room Tip: The rooms in the main house can get noisy in the early mornings with breakfast prep. The rooms adja...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Flagler Beach
Flagler Beach Motel
Flagler Beach Motel
#4 of 12 in Flagler Beach

Been to The White Orchid Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!