“Get the Balcony suite”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Get the Balcony suite”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My friend and I stayed at The White Orchid Inn for 3 nights in February. The staff were very welcoming and accommodating. The location is right across the road from beautiful beach with stairs going from the road to the beach. There is a good selection of beach chairs and there were beach towels in the room besides the regular bathroom towels.
Each room has a refrigerator with bottled water. There were 2 bicycles that looked like they were in excellent shape.

This is a difficult review to write as my friend and I stayed in 2 different rooms and they were as different as night and day. I'll start with the negative as this was our first room. Our first night was in Room to Relax and we were totally disappointed. The room felt like bare bones. I had requested that the futon be made up and it was, with a threadbare bedspread on it. The double french doors open to what I would call the entrance corridor not a veranda, as it is the entrance way to all the upstairs rooms. Room to Relax is the corner room so it didn't have other people walking by to get to their rooms but it also did not feel private. The flyer listed bathrobes in the rooms but there were no bathrobes (we were told at breakfast that we needed to request them).
The main house is locked when the staff leave around 6pm until the staff comes and opens it for breakfast. I am an early riser and I wanted coffee. Disappointing to have to drive into town to buy coffee when staying at a B&B. The staff explained later that they usually ask people if they want a coffee pot set up in the room for the rooms without access to the kitchen. We had arrived late, after staff had gone for the day and no one had asked about coffee when we set up the reservation.
Breakfast is served in a lovely dining area with windows all around looking out toward the ocean. When we saw how nice the house was and the breakfast spot, we felt more deprived that we could only use this spot in the daytime. Breakfast was good, I had an omelet and that was delicious. Coffee nice and strong.
After breakfast we asked for a tour of the house and when we saw the Balcony Suite we fell in love with it. It is true that you get what you pay for. For $139. we had a room that felt like it was cinder block construction with no frills. For $249. we could have the Balcony Suite which has a lovely balcony overlooking the ocean. There was a discount for staying more than one night, I think it was $20. off each night.
The Balcony Suite was available and we moved into it for the next two nights. It was magical. I loved the sound of the surf and having the balcony doors open. The bathroom is an open design which is not my favorite. The jacuzzi tub had nice candles around the sides. The shower had rust on the drain, something that surprised me at this price.
As I said above, the staff were wonderful.. It felt strange to me though to not have staff or owners on the premises during the night. We were the only guests staying in the house on the two nights we were there and it added a touch of tension knowing we were the only ones there.
Would I recommend this Inn to a friend? Only if they could afford to stay in the Balcony Suite. The other rooms did not excite me at all.

Room Tip: Balcony suite is the only room that has opening to balcony with ocean view.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Quiltlove
WhiteOrchidInn, Owner at The White Orchid Inn and Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
A spacious room with an ocean view, lovely breakfast, wine and appetizers in the afternoon, complimentary bicycles and beach chairs, incredibly luxurious sheets, fresh flowers, in a child free, well maintained, clean environment for $139 a night. We have many loyal guest of Room To Relax because they think it is a pretty good deal. Yes the room does not have a large jetted tub or glass block walk in shower like 7 of our 10 other rooms or lovely robes like our more expensive rooms [no where in our literature does it say we provide robes for Room to Relax]. As far as The Balcony Suite being are only impressive room, I am sure this reviewer did not see most of our rooms and assumed they were all similar. In fact, they all have their own personality with different amenities. The room right next to Room to Relax is Room with it All. It has a king canopy bed, large jetted tub right in the bedroom, large walk in glass block shower and completely private balcony with beautiful ocean view. I am sure this reviewer had no idea. Lastly I take exception to the description of the veranda as a corridor. This is a 60 ft long 10 ft wide 2nd story balcony with a sitting area on either end. Each sitting area is dedicated to the room it is adjacent to and has an ocean view. The two sitting areas are over 40 ft from each other and they are at either end of a balcony. There is no guest traffic past either one of them. There is only one other room that enters from that balcony and it has its own private balcony on the opposite side of the building. There are many photos of the various rooms posted on tripadvisor by guests. Please look them over I think you will agree The Balcony Suite is not the only worthy room in the inn and we have rooms to fit a variety of budgets.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Zephyrhills, Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My new husband and I are west-coast Floridians that wanted to elope and escape to the east coast, as close to the Atlantic as we could get. We booked this stay based on other reviews from tripadvisor, thinking it would be a good place to relax. We booked the first 2 days in the Orient Suite and the last day in the Balcony Suite. Both were amazing - we loved the jacuzzi in both suites, and the Balcony room had a balcony that opened up to a spectacular ocean view. Yes, A1A is right in front of the building, but did I mention the ocean view? The mineral pool was heavenly. Breakfast was delicious - I loved the quiche, and new hubby enjoyed made to order omelets. The staff are wonderful and very accommodating. We didn't take advantage of the spa, but will next time, for we plan on future trips. Honeymooners - get the honeymoon package - you'll enjoy the strawberries and champagne, and you'll love the other goodies that come with it as well. A wonderful stay! Thanks to all the staff!

Room Tip: Balcony suite is divine! Orient suite's a/c is controlled by Balcony suite - let staff know if...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Leesburg, Florida
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I stayed at the White Orchid for two nights in the "Serenity Room'. The White Orchid was our first stop on our honeymoon getaway and we couldn't have been happier with it. Neither of us had ever stayed at a B-n-B and only took advantage of the free breakfast one of the two mornings but it was delicious. We also did not use the spa facilities. In short, all of the positive reviews here are spot on and contain plenty of good info. The negative comments seem like the reviewer is really trying to stretch for any little possible thing wrong with what is an older establishment directly across from the ocean.
The White Orchid is a perfect, quiet place to stay on the beach. You really can not go wrong making this your stay at Flagler Beach. My wife and I are both native Floridians and appreciate good fresh seafood so we both know what's good and what isn't, do yourself a favor and head 3 miles south on A1A to The High tide @ Snack Jacks. Best seafood I've had away from home (Fwb/Destin, Fl).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We came here on our honeymoon with just reading a handful of reviews online. This location is wonderful. The staff and owners are very knowledgeable and helpful. Breakfast every morning is great and does not disappoint. The onsite spa really does make this location top tier in my book. Just steps from the surf and within walking distance to great restaurants, surf shops, and bars. I would recommend The White Orchid without a doubt.

• Stayed March 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 March 2014

My wife and I have stayed at The White Orchid on two separate trips to the Palm Coast area of Florida. The location is ideal, as the inn faces the Atlantic Ocean and Flagler Beach. A short walk across highway A1A brings you directly onto the beach. I recommend you reserve the Balcony Suite, which is the best room and very popular. We stayed in this room most recently in March 2014. Any of the rooms are enjoyable - each one has its own personality and you should compare the features, decor, and pricing using their website before you decide. The White Orchid is as others have already reported very near great restaurants and shopping. They also offer a full range of spa services, which my wife has used with great enjoyment, She also loves the Dead Sea salt infused heated pool. The breakfast (included with the room) is one of the finest we ever enjoy in all our travels across the U.S. I cannot say enough in urging you to stay at The White Orchid for your next trip to this area, or while passing through.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Just did an overnight in a suite looking at the ocean. Greeted warmly and given a tour of the building and the outside areas. Room rate includes free wi-fi, a complimentary drink and nibbles, and a lovely breakfast (many choices all cooked to order). Staff leaves at 6pm so you are alone in the building with any other guests (Main building has 3 rooms and there are 2 other buildings). There's a combination lock on the back door to let yourself in if you go out after 6.
Our room was a bedroom/sitting room combination (TV) with balcony overlooking the ocean, lots of windows and 2 ceiling fans. Also had a frig and were given bottled water. Bathroom has a wide opening - no door- double sinks - tub- separate shower-toilet. Lots of towels. Bed was very comfortable and provided robes very comfy.
The building is showing its age and for the price needs a facelift. Outside in the back are a deck, and 2 pools (one is heated mineral pool); the spa facility and other guest buildings. Inn is located across A1A from the ocean and an easy walk to Flagler Beach, restaurants and pier.

Room Tip: Only the one suite has outside space with view of the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GaleN536
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My husband and I have been here at least 3 times before and keep coming back. It is very relaxing and feels like a real vacation.
The location is perfect. You can actually come here and never have to get into your car for the length of the trip. You can easily walk to restaurants and across the street to the beach.
You can hear the ocean.
It is less touristy than places like St. Augustine and is an easy drive to visit St. Augustine if you wish, about 30 minutes.
The bed was very comfortable and the hosts are great.
Every morning you get breakfast, you come down between 8:30 and 10ish and they give you a selection to pick. The tables overlook the ocean. Most selections are savory, egg dishes, quiche, biscuits/gravy. They do offer yogurt and granola. And, fruit. Lots of juice selections, breads.
They have both a mineral pool, which is kept warm and regular pool as well.
We have stayed in a few different rooms but if you want a more peaceful stay, stay at one of the rooms near the mineral pool, it is a little more remote and away from the other rooms.
I would recommend and will come back myself.

Room Tip: Rooms near mineral pool are more secluded.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#10 of 12 in Flagler Beach
Flagler Beach Motel
Flagler Beach Motel
#4 of 12 in Flagler Beach

Been to The White Orchid Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!