“Stay away from this place!!”

Lazy Hours Motel on the Beach
Ranked #11 of 12 Flagler Beach B&B and Inns
“Stay away from this place!!”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We checked in to the Lazy Hours Motel on 4/12/14, dropped our bags in the front room of the suite and went across the street to the beach. After roughly 2 hours we returned to the room to prepare to go out to dinner and actually started to look around. The advertised 'sofa bed" was a broken futon with a piece of egg crate foam as a mattress, and the cover of the padding was had cigarette burn holes and some kind of strange green stains. There were holes in almost every wall. In the front room motel room there were water stains and mold on the tiles of the ceiling. The sink and counter top of the kitchenette are difficult to describe. The side of the counter had large pieces missing and the edges were coming off. What was left was being held in place by packing tape. There must have been a small stove range at one point but now the electric elements are gone and where they were is covered with a thin piece of sheet metal that is also being held in place with backing tape. The room smelled musty and moldy and we couldn't even keep the windows open to try and air it out for the brief time we were in there. Lastly the bathroom was atrocious. There was mold everywhere. There was mold around the window frame, in the corners of the shower and all over the shower head and its extender. When I went to the office to talk about the condition of the room, that we didn't want to stay and wanted our money back we were told no because we were a group of 5 and I only booked the room for 2. While this is correct, while booking this room online you could not chose any more than 4 people so I called this motel ahead of time to confirm that bringing 5 people (myself, wife and 3 kids) I was told there would be no issue. Yet the fact that there was 5 of us was the reason why this motel refused to refund our money. We were in that room for a total of 45 minutes and should not have had to pay the $101. we were charged for the night. At this point we dont even care about the money. That hotel is deplorable.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Jack C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Evans, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Although it is old, and dated our room was nice, clean, was stocked with dishes, a coffee pot, it's right across from the beach and at night you can hear the waves crash. We stayed during bike , had not made reservations, and decided to "wing it" and only paid 85 dollars a night for 2 nights. We wanted to stay the other 2, but they were booked. The owners were very nice, the service was excellent. It reminded both me and my boyfriend of when we went to the beach as kids. We stayed in the little cabin up front with the balcony on top. It was nice, we met other people there for bike week and sat out on the balcony having a beer and listening to music. We plan on staying there again next year.

Room Tip: The cabin in the front is the best....
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle B
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 March 2014

I got over 30+ bed bug bites, at first I thought it was mosquitos and the 3rd night I woke up in the middle of the night because I felt something and I found proof! It was a bed bug! we looked in the bed and found more!.. we took pictures packed and slept in our car over night (im over 6 months pregnant) because there is no staff there to help you at night, the next morning we went to the office and showed them and they promised us a refund and when we got home from an 8 hr drive we called the next day about our refund and they said no refund and hung up on my husband, then the manager called back only offering less then a days stay only when we slept in the car but the bed bugs bit me since day 1 and not just that we threw our belongings away clothes, luggage etc and had to pay to disinfect our car and now we are hoping they aren't in our home =( they are now denying that they had bed bugs but I have proof and showed them so now we are seeking legal help because its not right! they are rude I don't wish this to anybody else please reconsider!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Sandy B

Travellers are raving about these Flagler Beach hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I satayed in this place for a couple of weeks and it could be a much better place if the service was better. They seem to treat a client like a dorm room student. They completely ignore what a customer means! I am sure the next generation( born here) of owners would.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Eric M
Umatilla, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2013

It's located right across from the beach, great views. But the rooms are still 1960's or earlier. No outlets in the bathroom, very dim lightbulbs. Our room was suppose to be an efficiency, it had a frig and coffee pot but no microwave and 1coffee mug. It just seems like they really don't care weather you like it or not. We are easy to please people we like rustic and laid-back but I don't like giving my money to people who seem like they are just there to take your money.
With a little hard work, this place could rock. But it will take someone who gives a damn!

Room Tip: Just go somewhere else!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Terri E
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The motel is at an excellent location, right along the main road (A1A) with the beach and ocean just across. Great views and walks here! I spend a couple of nights here as a base for the Daytona 500 and considering I was travelling alone, the 90 bucks a night were not a bad deal during this time. Normally it's cheaper though. The room is adequate with a fridge, tv, aircon and relatively large and comfy beds. Bathroom is fine as well. Everything does look like it could use some attention though and the cold stone floor needs some carpets or so. Not a place to spend too long, but I liked the location and atmosphere of this town in general.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank MichaelBurm
Westerly, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Reserved and paid for room 2/26/13. Arrived and checked out room...all window locks were missing or broken, two dim bulbs in entire unit, dirty everything, AC contained a lot of dirt, mold and hair, broken chair and the arms were in a corner of the room, no desk chair or light, gray towels and very thin and on and on. Any positive reviews have got to be from the owner. This is a very poor excuse for a hotel. Yes, I paid and lost my money because my wife and I did not stay. Worst property I have ever seen in decades!! Oh, the hot tub was a mess.

Room Tip: tripadvisor needs to take this off of their site
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
#10 of 12 in Flagler Beach
Beach Front Motel
Beach Front Motel
#9 of 12 in Flagler Beach

Been to Lazy Hours Motel on the Beach? Share your experiences!