“Decent Food Close to the Hostel”

Rosita's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 43 Restaurants in Florida City
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 10 October 2013

All I can say is I ate in a few Mex restaurants when I was in the States and this was the best. It wasn't mind-blowing, but it was tasty, well presented and the staff were nice. Good value for the veggie plate.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Rosita's is in a somewhat "rougher" neighborhood (note those iron bars on windows) and it affects the style.

Food is quite authentic Mexican, perhaps too much so. I found fajita beef to be tasty and well prepared, while chicken in mole sauce was dry and not too exciting. Dry but flavorful rice, good refried beans. Beef soup had little flavor but lots of beef.

As some other reviews noted, there are ants running about the place with impunity. I found one in the soup, and a score of these critters marched all over our table.

For an authentic Mexican, it doesn't really pay much attention to quality of bottled hot sauce on the table. Bright red and iridescent green sauces were made from the same stuff and colored with artificial color according to ingredient label. Given wide variety of un-painted hot sauces, I wonder why they chose this brand.

Overall it was not a bad experience in terms of taste, but the place is just a bit too dingy to make it a repeat visit.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

it is a very small restaurant, but they have very good mexican food......and their portion are abundant!!!!

Reviewed 27 May 2013

Complimentary homemade tortilla chips along with a nicely spicy fresh salsa started us off. I ordered a Corona beer which was not cold enough but did come with the obligatory lime wedge.
The beef enchiladas with red sauce were delicious.Three perfectly prepared enchiladas came with fresh salad (iceberg lettuce and tomato), refried beans and rice... an absolute bargain for $6.99. The decor is either really scary or entirely unique depending on your perspective but they have an open kitchen which appeared clean unlike some of the other Mexican restaurants in Homestead/Florida City. Service was good considering the place was quite busy and there were only two waitresses but we were left standing at the till too long when we tried to pay.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

The place is pretty disgusting. The first time we ate there, our meal was pretty good. The decor leaves a lot to be desired, but the meal was good. Not very clean either. However, we decided to go again. This time, ewww. I had bugs crawling on my legs. There were ants on the wall. My husband got sick to his stomach and then an hour later, so did I. Never again will I visit this establishment ever again. Not so nice decor is fine. Slow service is also fine. But the bugs on the table and on the wall, I can't dine with bugs.