“Not overly expensive and worth every penny” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
“Not overly expensive and worth every penny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

My wife and I live in the Bahamas and were traveling to the Keys last weekend. We decided to stop at the Riverside where we had spent our honeymoon 9 years ago. It was even better than we remembered. The valet welcomed us with a smile. As we made our way to the front desk at least 3 other staff member said welcome to "The Riverside". The front desk staff were fantastic. Terry Perugini and Wan (short for something oriental) Made us feel immediately at home. The room overlooked the river but we could also see the ocean from the balcony. We had a few bad experiences in other hotels recently because the beds were so lumpy we just could not get a decent nights sleep. Not the case with The Riverside. The bed was so comfortable we both slept an extra couple of hours. Another great feature about the hotel is its location. In this day and age when you have to really be careful how much you drink if you are going to drive, what's handy makes a big difference to your state of mind. There are a dozen fine restaurants within a 2 minute walk. There are also a few art galleries, clubs with live entertainment etc. within a stones throw. Breakfast on the sidewalk cafe makes you feel like your in Paris or Rome.
So we drove to Key West, had a great time there, and on the way back we decided to spend yet another night at The Riverside. Terry and Wan were again on the desk and made a wonderful fuss. It's hard to believe but everybody remembered our names!

Don't miss this place. It's truly a gem. You won't be disappointed.

2 Thank JamesBBQ
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Good Morning "JamesBBQ",
I have to tell you that Terri and Wan at our Front Desk were so excited when I showed them your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that we made it a perfect stay for you and your wife at the Riverside Hotel and Las Olas Boulevard. You really descibed the assets of our facility and of course we pride ourselves with outstanding service as we have done for the past 75 years.

Hope to see you sonn again.

Enjoy your Summer in the Bahamas.

Sunny regards,

Heiko Dobrikow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
Naples, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

There are a million great things to say about the Riverside. It's got a great old skool charm to it, great location, fantastic staff, but our recent visit did have a few issues. First, the curtains wouldn't close all the way. The windows had wooden slat shudders and nice sheer curtains in front of the windows, but on both sides were darker, heavier curtains, but those wouldn't close over the windows. In other words, if you wanted to sleep in, the curtains that you would use to close over the windows didn't! We took a safety pin and stretched them over the windows in order to block the light somewhat, but it wasn't pretty. I could see a screw that blocked the drapes from traversing all the way across the curtain rod,and if I had had a screw driver...

The other issue we had was the holder for the shower wand that would not stay up. It kept sliding down the pole, down to about your knees. No matter how often I pushed the button to 'lock" it in place, it wouldn't lock. I remedied this by taking a business card and folding it a few times and wedged it so that the wand holder would stay in place. Ghetto, but effective.

This was our second visit, having booked without hesitation after having such a great time on our first visit. Now I'm not so sure. Still, I really do like the place, but these funky issues were annoying.

Room Tip: book a room in the tower; they're nicer (and newer)
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2011
Good Morning "jt1120",
welcome back to the Riverside and i am glad you still love the Riverside Hotel. I want to thank you for the detailed description of the two issues that you had with your stay and I immediately informed my housekeeping supervisor to check all drapes and showerheads.

I consider your feedback a gift for us to improve.

Have a delightful Summer,

Denver, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

The rooms were clean and service was beyond our expectations.
Loved the location right in the middle of historic Los Olas Blvd.
We were there for a pre cruise tour of Ft. Lauderdale and would highly recomend this hotel.
Not too far from the port. Just a short taxi ride away.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Good Morning "shjam",
we loved having you at the Riverside and appreciate your terrific review. My staff was so excited when I shared your comments with them. You are correct by pointing out how close we are to the port. Many of our guests that are on pre-cruise stays love our hotel, because you just take the elevator down and have the entire entertainment district at your doorstep.

Enjoy the month of July.

Sunny Regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel for a week. July 03 to the 10th. It was great we had a good time. could not ask for a better location on Las Olas Blvd. I would suggest taking the water taxi to the beach. Our booking was for a traditional room, but when we arrived our room was not ready and we were kindly asked to wait in the lobby. However, the wait was going to be longer than anticipated, so we were upgraded to rooms in the newer part of the hotel. Room 917 and 920. Beautiful rooms I might add. All the staff we came in contact with were very friendly from start to finish. I want to especially mention Terry and Fatima at the front desk out standing. I would definitely recommend this hotel, and I would definitely return to the Riverside Hotel.

Donnette de Silva from Toronto Canada

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel. Any room in the tower is great. Room 920 had an amazi...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dongirl1964
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Good Morning "Dongirl1964",
what an honor to receive a 5 out of 5 rating from you about your recent trip to the Riverside on Las Olas. I am glad you choose a Tower room with a view of the River. I agree with you that the Water Taxi amenity is special to Fort lauderdale and a must do for any of our guests.

A special thank you that you recognized Terry and Fatima...they were thrilled to see your comments.

Have a terrific Summer.

Hope to see you soon again,

Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I took advantage of a business trip and took one night away for ourselves. I chose the Riverside because I thought the location would be outstanding with the intracostal and Las Olas for walking and quality time together since we wouldn't have time to do the beach thing. I booked an executive tower king size bed room with a balcony so we could enjoy the views. I also wanted the free internet so we could wrap up the business items we needed to. Our room faced West. While there was a view of the intracoastal, there was very little traffic so it wasn't that enjoyable to sit out and just watch the boats.

The hotel staff was very friendly, professional, and kind. We were impressed with the lobby decor and quality. The room was just ok for the price. I felt a lot of the items seemed dated. The room was very large and had a massive bathroom- but yet they still just put a small tub shower unit. It would have been wise to put larger walk in showers in the room I think. The bed was quite comfortable, minus the feather down pillows which we didn't care for. I appreciated the large soft towels. Parking in the ramp was not too bad, but it was confusing at the beginning and the end with regards to the ticket and then the swipe card. Bring your parking ticket in with you when you check in and they will add the parking fee right to your bill. They will give you a room key with a gold sticker that will allow you to swipe in and out of the garage during your stay. Then, after check out, you dispense the parking card into the small box at the exit of the ramp.

The hotel itself was nice and would go again for business purposes. However, the location of Las Olas was very disappointing. The boulevard does host many boutique shops and restaurants that are obviously slightly overpriced for what your receive. I was disappointed that the actual intracoastal with all of the parked yachts and flow of traffic was so far away from the hotel. The walking was also less than easy or pleasurable. Because of the dual lane divided boulevard, they have left very little walk space for pedestrians. We found that much of the way from the hotel east we couldn't even walk side by side, hand in hand because the walkway was so narrow and we were constantly skirting around patios of the restaurants.

While the Riverside does offer the "las olas' location, I feel as though my money and time would have been better spent closer to the water.

*we ate at Mangos and the Cheesecake factory. Mangos was ok, mixed reviews on the dishes and pricing. Cheesecake factory was a first for us and felt the food was overpriced and just ok on quality, but the dessert is unmatched :)

Good Morning "jpspica",
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Riverside Hotel and enjoyed the large Tower accommodations, as well as the service of my geart team. May I give you a suggestion for your next trip when staying with us. If you have the time, please take advantage of our watertaxi "whistle stop" and take a rommantic ride to the beach. Kick of your shoes and walk and in hand with your husband along the short-line. Many of our guests just love this added service and amentity.

Have a wonderful Summer,

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

Just got back from the Riverside Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale today… a very nice hotel in a great location, close to shops and restaurants. During check-in, Terry (at the front desk) was particularly helpful and took the extra time to find driving direction for us to a local art gallery. We booked online through HOTWIRE and upgraded to one of the newer tower rooms for a reasonable additional charge at checkin.

However, what we were not told (online or at the hotel) was that Riverside has recently adopted a ‘pet friendly’ policy. We were awakened several times throughout the night with two small dogs barking a couple of rooms away. Had I known this information ahead of time I would have asked for a room away from the pet section. Not the experience I was looking for from such a nice hotel.

If your planning to stay at Riverside and don’t want to be disturbed by barking dogs in the middle of the night, I would recommend that you let them know when you book; otherwise your stay might also be as disappointing as ours.

Geo
Orlando, Fl.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Good Afternoon "geocanary",
thank you for staying at the Riverside Hotel and I am so happy that you mentioned the service qualities of Terry. She is a true gem in our organization. I investigated the situation with the dog and found out that the guest with the dog also purchased an upgrade. We normally keep all our pets on one floor, so that they do not disturb other guests. I am truely sorry that this was an inconvenience during your stay.

Have a relaxed Summer,

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

You will experience a wonderful well appointment premier establishment. The lobby is refined with a taste of old world and new world enchantment. The Riverside Hotels, offers distinguished room, Customer courtesy, professional staff and great value for the most precious times, your family vacation.
The shops were very reasonable priced and allowed the lively shopper, the opportunity to get much needed bargains and high end values in one centralize local. Great food, nightly music and the air of romantic will delight the most harden critic.
The Riverside Hotel is a hidden treasure. The staff is not only professional, but goes the extra mile to provide information and coupons without being asked...now that's customer service! A special Thank You" to Ms. Gina in reservations. Thank you.
The area is safe for the entire family and the music flowing from the streets enlighten my heart and mind and add to the flavor of my stay. Don’t miss the opportunity to try the food at "Indigo"...Make room for a few extra pounds after you try the food! Very Friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Good Afternoon "1234rewt",
I am so thrilled to read your review and you should have seen Geana, when I shared your review with her. She was tickled pink. I am so glad that you took great advantage on all the amenities that the hotel has to offer. We are very proud of our 75 year old hotel and the service that it has provided for millions.

Come see us soon again.