“Eh, not worth it.”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 16 October 2011

Room was rather old, but at least had a nice view. Staff was very average, some were really rude, others were moderate. The thing that really pissed me off was that we went out to a fancy dinner one night and I had to takeaway the rest of my meal as it was too big. Knowing we had a mini fridge, I didn't think anything of it and was told by reception that if I removed anything from the mini fridge that I would be charged immediately even if I didn't consumer anything out of the mini fridge. I was shocked and asked my alternatives. She said that for $10 a day we could have our own mini fridge in the room. I told her that was ridiculous...since she was so rude about it, I asked her then to put my food in the main fridge of the kitchen (I was just trying to be as rude as her) which of course she snorted and patronized me. So in the garbage can went the rest of my fancy meal.
Parking is ridiculous as well....they charge you $25 a day and hassled us when we couldn't remember our room number as we exited the parking garage.
RUDE staff!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Breather1
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2011

Dear "Ally H",
I am so embarrassed that you did not have a great time at our hotel. We pride ourselves in exceptional customer service and I realize that we missed our mark with your experience. I have taken the liberty to share your comments with my team, so that this kind of service failure would not happen again.

Thank you for your candor.

I hope you will give us another chance.

Have a delightful day,

There are newer reviews for Riverside Hotel

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were supposed to spend the last night of our trip in Miami, but fled up the coast to Fort Lauderdale and on the recommendation of 'The Rough Guide to Florida' we chose to stay at the Riverside. It was the perfect end to a wonderful couple of weeks touring the Sunshine State. Our room looked onto the river, a lovely view. The swimming pool was the best of the holiday and the location for dinner in the evening was perfect. The staff were very friendly and helpful - overall, an excellent experience.

1  Thank Alexandnick
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2011

Good Evening,
I m glad you enjoyed your Escape from Miami and had a splendid time at our hotel, The Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard.

We hope to see you soon again.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We discovered The Riverside Hotel through a Groupon sale. We stayed there after a week long cruise and we were thrilled with our experience. We got checked into our room at 10:30 am even though check in isn't till 3pm. We were so happy as we were exhausted from the cruise.The service was excellent including front desk staff, valet, concierge. We usually get poor service at other hotels along the beach so we were shocked to be treated so well in Ft. Lauderdale. The room we got was large, clean, and quiet with a balcony that had a great view of the river. You can't beat the location as you can walk out of the hotel right onto Las Olas Blvd with lots of shopping, bars, and restaurants steps away! The Cheesecake Factory is right next door and excellent as well. A special thanks to Terry at the front desk for showing me some balcony rooms that I could reserve for Winterfest. We are booked and will be back!! This hotel beats any place beachside!! SUPER SERVICE!!!

Room Tip: Get a room in the executive tower. NICE!!!
2  Thank KCcruisechick
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Good Morning,
I am so pleased that you liked the location of our hotel, which is the only hotel on Las Olas Boulevard. We has so much to offer and you just have to take the elevator down to enjoy everything from shopping to great dining.

Until the next time,

Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed at Riverside Hotel on September 30th and October 1st, 2011. Our stay was absolutely fantastic. The entire hotel staff were excellent and made our stay very pleasurable. We were in the new tower and had a balcony with wonderful views of the water from our balcony. The room was incredibly clean, nicely decorated and an absolute delight to stay in this hotel before our cruise on Allure of the Seas. We would stay again without hesitation. To the entire staff of this hotel, thank you for a job well done!!!

Room Tip: If you are cruising or just want a nice get away, this is the place to stay without doubt!!! Definit...
2  Thank 5,111,951

Good Morning,
I can not tell you how pleased my staff was when I posted your trip review with the perfect 5. We are so honored that we got everything right for you and your experience. We are looking forward serving you the next time around when you are going on another cruise are just want to play in Fort Lauderdale.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed here on our way down to Key West and just loved it. The views were fantastic - from our balcony you could watch the boats sail up and down the waterways. Breakfast was served in our room and was first class. As the Hotel is situated on Las Olas Blvd there were many great places to eat dinner and very nice shops in which to browse. We liked it so much we stayed again on our way home. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a water view.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank KathySouthportUK
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Good Morning "KathySouthportUK",
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Riverside not only on one occasion but twice. I agree with you that the views overlooking the River are wonderful. Glad you found our service levels exceptional.

Have a wonderful fall!

Hope to see you soon again,

Reviewed 1 October 2011

I was placed in this, presumably 3.5 star, hotel by Priceline.
Initially I've got a room on the 2nd floor of the old building. This room sported old worn out and shabby furniture, occasional mold in the bathroom, and was only marginally clean (with dirt lurking just beyond reach of casual housekeeping - behind beds, tables etc). In lieu of proper blinds windows had slatted horizontal blinds, that did not block the morning sun - great if you need to wake up at 6 am, but don't try to sleep in. With paper thin walls and neighbors running about and slamming doors all night - you wouldn't want to anyway.
I also got bit by a bed bug in this room - but only a few times, so I guess that's not too bad.

Due to circumstances outside my control, I had to rebook for a few more nights and Priceline conveniently placed me at the same hotel. At check in, clerk explained somewhat condescendingly that I am getting a "Traditional" room that is not renovated, unlike the "Classic" I was in the last time (but I could upgrade for only $20 a day). Honestly, I had hard time believing that any room could be less renovated than that. Boy, was I in for a surprise. The "Traditional" room on the 4th floor of the old building, has all the ambiance of county jail cell without free meals. Old worn beds, sparse and worn out furniture, open beam ceiling with wiring strung right across cement fixtures. The bedroom looks like something out of 40s, with a tiny toilet bowl squashed about half way under the sync - if you decide to sit on the toilet for whatever reason, you'd have to do it sideways with one arm straddling the sync. Needless to say, this room was even dirtier - it would appear that housekeeping avoids this part of the hotel alltogether. Broken door lock, and closed that smelled of mildew and dirty clothes completed this fine accommodation.

Perhaps the new tower is better - I didn't get a chance to view it. Considering overpriced $20 a day self-parking, I could have easily taken a room in real 3 star hotel for the same price per day directly.

Bottom line - beware if using Priceline, you'd be better off at Days Inn. I know I am definitely not coming back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank bork3000
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2011

Good Morning "bork3000 ",
I m so grateful that you wrote this tripadvisor and I consider your feedback a gift. I am more than certain that the tower units are your style of accomodations. The historical part of the building has only 10% of our rooms left with its original furniture package from 1936. The executive tower was a new build in 2001 and has a more spacious layout.

Also to note is that next year we will get a new furniture package for the historical part of the hotel.

Again, thank you for your comments and i hope to see you soon again.

Reviewed 29 September 2011

OMG !!! The Riverside Hotel is a hidden gem in the middle of the business district in downtown Ft Lauderdale. If you are looking for shopping,art,antiques, restruants, this is the place to be !! The views were fantastic (had a room with cornor balcony) .We stayed here the day befor we left on our cruise . The front desk gals were so helpful had alot of great advise on what to see in the area we walked everywhere, there is also a water taxi at the back of the hotel it will drop u at quite a few different spots all over Ft Lauderdale area.
The price was vary reasonable less than 150.00 . I can't say enough about the staff I have never been treated so well anywhere i have ever stayed and I have been traveling for many many years.The Hotel was spot on everwhere u looked it has 2 restruants a small bar an outside courtyard just wonderful.The beds were so comfey like a cloud the bathroom was large ,nice size table and chairs also a safe and a fridge with a well stocked mini bar it had everything in it. Hope u enjoy the Riverside as much as we did

Room Tip: vierw from the 10th floor was just fantastic
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Good Morning "magiemay",
I am thrilled to see that you had a perfect stay. Yes, we find our location ideal and pride ourselves giving outstanding service.

Come see us soon again.