“I LOVE Riverside!”

Ranked #15 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
“I LOVE Riverside!”
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This is a lovely, old world hotel located right on Las Olas. I find it to be a very lovely location. The staff are always pleasant and helpful and remember us everytime we are there, even if we do not get back for over a year.

The food is excellent, whether room service, or Indigo. Lovely to hang out on the cafe side of Preston's / Indigo on the Las Olas side in the evening's - try one of the divine martinis'!

All in all, a lovely, safe, traditional hotel with impeccable service and friendly staff.

The location alone is fantastic and it is so convenient for attending boat shows, shopping or just for a weekend of romance!

Room Tip: Room in tower overlooking the water are best!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JMP1992
dobrikowh, General Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Good Afternoon,
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Riverside Hotel and loved our service and quality we provided. I really appreciated your 5 star rating!!!

Come back soon,

Heiko Dobrikow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I'm one of those people who always complains about everything but I'll have to say that I couldn't find a single thing to complain about this time. The Staff upon check in was very nice and professional. The room was super clean, the view was great, and when we were going out to eat we decided to take a chance on the restaurant and what a delight. The Sea Bass was as good as it gets. The complimentary glass of wine and desert (crème Brule (sp?)) was excellent. Even the guy singing and playing his trumpet was the best I've heard lately. I would stay here again and recommend this place to all my friends.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stan M
Good Afternoon,
wow...what a compliment! I just printed out your review and shared it with my entire culinary Team...they were so excited to see your highlights.

Thank you for the 5 star rating.

Have a great day,

Orlando
Reviewed 2 October 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I wanted a quick getaway. We got a deal on hotel tonight to stay at the riverside hotel for $100.00. We checked in late in the evening around 8pm. We wanted to get something to drink- there was nothing. No vending machines no bar open.. The lady checking us in offered us water from the employee lounge. The elevator was so tiny we couldn't fit in their together along with our luggage. I took the stairs. The room was borderline creepy. It has a old Florida charm about it, but the bathrooms were super tiny and the room had a weird vibe. The beds were out if this world!!!!! Best nights sleep I've had in awhile. The pool was also creepy. On the intercostal, gated by a fence, no bar, no employees. If you want a drink call the hotel and a staff member can bring u one. Oh yeah pool is across the street. Upside, your right on las olas. Lots of bars and shops!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank BrittanyB1017
Good Afternoon,
I am so glad you stay in our historic part of th ehotel and enjoyed a good night sleep. Can you believe that the elevator you are referring to is an original Otis. We are very proud in mantaining our history and I am glad you liked our Old Florida Charm.

Until me see you again, have a nice weekend.

Heiko
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 September 2012

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised to read so many 4 and 5 star reviews of this place. While the location might be great, when I consider the hotel itself, the room I was placed in and a few hiccups I experienced on the morning I checked out, overall my stay here wasn't the greatest.

I had been awarded this property after bidding for a room in the Ft. Lauderdale area on Priceline. I arrived after midnight, got checked in right away and was given room 539 in the older, original section of this hotel. While the room was adequate, I was a bit surprised to see this place listed as a 4 star property on Tripadvisor judging from the room I was given. While the carpets, bedding, furniture and upholstery all appeared to be in good condition, one could tell that the plaster walls of the room had been repaired and touched up in several areas over the years, there were lots of cracks in the concrete ceiling which had been repaired or painted with paint that didn't match the rest of the ceiling, there were rust stains in the bath tub, I saw what appeared to be rodent droppings on one of the shelves near the toilet (grey/brown grass seed shaped dung), and when I went to make coffee the next morning, there was so much gunk from past hotel guests' use on the burner that the carafe stuck to it.

I was tired when I first arrived, so I went to bed relatively quickly. The next morning when I woke up, I noticed that they'd slipped a copy of my room charges under the door just as many hotels do on the morning of checkout. I was expecting to see a zero balance since I'd paid for this room through Priceline. Instead, there was a balance of $48.12 for a "Promotional Channel Rate" and taxes. I went to the front desk as I was leaving, explained the charge that had appeared and asked what it was for. I assumed it had to do with a TV channel, but I hadn't switched my TV on at all during my stay here. The woman at the desk looked at it and said "Oh, that wasn't a TV charge, let me have a look". She threw away that original charge statement, went to her computer, pressed a few buttons and printed out another statement of charges that simply said "Paid in Full, Thank You $0.00". I thanked her, but also asked for the original statement back in case any of these charges appear on my Visa card as I'll be contesting them. I'm also curious if they would've caught and corrected these charges had I not taken the time to actually read the statement and stop at the desk on my way out to ask about them.

I made my way to my vehicle, loaded my bag and went to leave the smallish parking lot when a gentleman flagged me down and said "That'll be $4.50". I explained that I'd stayed in their hotel the previous night and that I was a paying guest. He asked to see my room key, which I explained was packed in my luggage, but I offered to get it out and show him. He then asked if I'd paid for parking and if I had a receipt. I got out of my vehicle, opened the hatch, opened my luggage and showed him my room key. He looked at me dissapointedly and just said "Alright", and that was that.

Would I stay here again? For the rate I was able to get through Priceline, most probably. However, if I were doing it again, knowing what I know now, I'd ask to be placed in the newer tower. The additional charges to my credit card and the attempt to charge for parking were annoyances, though I did resolve those, I think.

It's my opinion that this hotel has a lot of potential. In general it's in decent shape for as old as it is, and they're obviously proud of their 75 year history as it's mentioned on the card you get with your room key and in some of their promotional materials. It's also in a very good part of town if people staying here are hoping to be close to active nightlife, restaurants, shopping and other activities as it's in the busiest section of Las Olas and is within walking distance of the Performing Arts Center and Riverwalk. While I realize it's nice to walk into a hotel like this one every once in a while that's more traditional, has a long heritage and isn't shiny, new, sterile and doesn't look the same as every other newer, modern hotel in the country, at the same time it wouldn't take much effort, time or cost to make some repairs to the rooms and put them in better condition. Maybe invest in some rodent traps or a good exterminator while they're at it!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room in the newer tower, and be sure and check your final statement of charg...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JamesJacobs78
Good Afternoon,
I am so happy that you stayed with us and did such a great description of your stay. Even though we try to strive for perfection, we certainly did not achieve this goal. Your feedback is a gift to us and I have shared your comments with my leadership team. We certainly do not want another person to have the same experience with you.

I am also glad that you mentioned you would stay with us again. Please try our Executive Towers next time, as I think you would really enjoy how spacious they are.

Have a great weekend,

Woodland Park, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This is now the second time my family stayed at this hotel. It is centrally located on Las Olas Boulevard and is approximately two miles from the beach. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and clean and the staff is courteous and always willing to help. The restaurant and room service for the hotel is delicious, but a little pricey. An attached garage allows for off street parking for a cost of $17 per day. Across the street is the pool area, which is large, clean and well maintained. I really cannot say enough positive things about my stay at this hotel. Everything is top notch, including the bartender Aimee. I highly recommend this hotel and a visit Fort Lauderdale in general.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Ron B
Good Afternoon,
I am so please that you second stay with us was top notch. I also want to thank you for highlighting Aimee, who has been such a wonderful bartender for our hotel.

Hope to see you in the near future.

Long Island, NY
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed at the Riverside for 3 nights 9/15-9/18. I had reserved a tower corner 2 queen bedded room. We arrived around 11:30 a.m., and our room was ready. I was very pleased with the room. Bed and pillows were comfortable, and a/c worked quietly and kept the room at a constant temperature. Had a small problem with the a/c leaking, wetting a 2 foot section of carpet. They offered to have us switch rooms. As we were unpacked and comfy, we turned it down. They did give us 50% off one night because of the problem, which we thought was fair. (they brought in a large fan and dried the carpet) I have nothing but good things to say about the front desk staff. They were friendly, polite, and efficient. We ate at the hotel restaurant once for breakfast, once for lunch, and once for dinner, and were quite satisfied with the service and quality of the food. I was surprised the pool was "across the street," but we loved the area. There was never anyone there - it felt like our own private oasis. The water was warm and inviting, and the area was clean. Can't beat watching the beautiful boats sailing by. Loved the location of the hotel - right in the middle of shops and great restaurants on Las Olas Blvd. We walked the 3 miles to the beach once, and took the sunshine bus back for fifty cents pp. We spent 2 evenings just sitting outside the restaurant people watching as we sipped some libations. I hated leaving the hotel, and look forward to going back in the future.

Room Tip: Go for the new tower, corner room!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Good Afternoon,
I an not tell you how pleased my team was when I posted the 5 star rating from you about your last stay. My staff was so proud and happy and we just loved your review.

Thank you so much for your detailed description.

Come back soon,

Tallahassee
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Checked in and I guess I am in the older section of the hotel. There is a classic "prewar" NYC studio apartment feel to the room, along with chipping multiple layers of paint on the door frame, which I noticed before my key ever hit the door, old bath tub and and closet molding, and that is meant as a compliment. I had heard great things about this hotel. The room is clean and small, has multiple carpet stains, and a very cheap looking mini bar that looks like it came from walmart, and an old bathtub that needs a new coat of paint as well. Otherwise the furnishings have a beach like tropical feel. THe plastic palm on the lamp is rather odd, and should be taken off the lamps. Really, they just attract dust and are strange.

Reading through the other reviews I see there is a newer tower....I guess I am in the old tower. I do appreciate the charm of the room and the very friendly and helpful staff. The front desk agents are amazing, and the bartender and food service team really seem to love their work. I'm not a fan of room changes, or I would ask. Would give it another try if a newer room was available, otherwise, going elsewhere.

Room Tip: read the reviews....took photos of the chipping paint and carpet stains, but just dont' have the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Good Afternoon,
you are so right, as you stayed in the histroic section of the hotel. I also believe you would have enjoyed the Executive Towers more. Thank you so much for highlighting my staff and how friendly and professional they are.

Come see us in the near future.