“Safe and Solid”

Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Virginia Beach
“Safe and Solid”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The independent hotel is a rare breed. I can say I am usually skeptical of staying at the independents just because I think the standards that the national chains have sometimes keeps the hotel honest. The Riverside has been kept up to national luxury chain standards.

Our check in was a breeze with all three rooms ready and all three right by each other. We had opted to stay in the newer tower (right choice) and the bellman had our bags to the room very quickly. During our reservation we had requested a crib and the front desk agent noted that request and said one would be sent right up. Sure enough, within 15 minutes the crib arrived.
The room itself was very spacious. There is nothing defining about the room but the décor was classy and modern enough. Our room overlooked the city park that happened to have Oktoberfest going on. We have a little child and you could hear the concert at night through the windows. Luckily, our daughter slept right on through it.

We also took advantage of the bar in the lobby. It was nice to be able to sit on Las Olas Blvd and have a cocktail. The staff was friendly and the valet was very convenient.

Overall, this was a very solid hotel. I can’t say they did anything to blow us away, but it no way did they detract from our stay either. There are prob. nicer hotels on the beach, but this is a very solid and safe choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Monacrh23
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the amenities of the hotel as well as our wonderful staff and their attentiveness. We do apologize about he noise from Oktoberfest but are glad your daughter was able to rest. Those concerns were most definitely passed along.

One again, we are thankful for your feedback and I hope to see you return soon!

Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Victor, New York
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I spent two nights at the Riverside while attending a local conference. I had a room on the third floor, wasn't concerned with views or towers. The room was spotless and quiet. I am especially sensitive to noise when in a hotel, and I didn't hear anything or anyone during my stay except for the soothing sound of rain hitting my window at night (and I know there were several rooms occupied near me). The staff were wonderful - from checking me in early, to the wonderful lunch server in the Indigo restaurant to the maintenance man who checked the wifi to the young woman staff member in the gift shop to the bartender at Prestons. The ambiance at the Riverside is uniquely old time Florida with the addition of conveniences expected of today's hotels. The lump crab and spinach salad at Indigo was outstanding. The half priced drinks at happy hour at Prestons produced delicious and unexpectedly affordable White Russians (less than $5 each!!). The fitness room was small but has everything needed to work up a sweat. I truly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely return.

Room Tip: If you need to use the wifi in your room, you need to ask for a room near the router.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank robspetal
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed the incredible location of our hotel and everything downtown Fort Lauderdale has to offer. We will pass along the kind words to our staff as well!

I hope to see you return soon.

tampa
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Stayed here while taking a course and absolutely loved the location. Able to run to and on the beach. Front desk and concierge staff were awesome! We had an Executive room and it was huge and well appointed. I only had one negative, after housekeeping came the first day, the room totally smelled like smoke and had this smell throughout the rest of our stay, which was unpleasant which is why I rated the room and cleanliness less than favorable. Grounds were clean, love the decor. I would definitely stay again as long as I could request the room would smell like a smoke-free room when we return.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are definitely larger.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tiagayepfa
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you tiagayepfa for your feedback!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. All of your feedback was shared with management and we can't thank you enough for sharing. We're happy you had such a pleasant stay, that you enjoyed the location and we hope you to see you back very soon!

London, UK
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a weekend.

The location is nice as there are quite a few restaurants and bars in the area.

We rented a car and the price to park in the car park isn’t cheap.

The reception staff very friendly.

We were given one of the older rooms, It was very big, the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in for a while. The view was out to the river, if you could catch a glimpse through the trees.

Driving from the airport was about ten minutes.

The only problem which was a big problem was they gave us a room that was interconnecting to a room next door. And it was literally just a door, no sound proofing. We discovered this when we could hear more or less everything they were saying one afternoon. They could probably hear everything we were saying.

This wouldn’t have been a problem, however out neighbours decided to invite a whole load of people back at 3am, I am not a light sleeper, I can sleep through most things, however this large group of people talking loudly woke myself and my boyfriend up, with no chance of going back to sleep. We had to call down to reception who sent security.

I would recommend the hotel, however make sure you do not have any of these interconnecting rooms as you don’t know who your neighbours will be.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle71
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We're thrilled you enjoyed your room as well as everything Las Olas Boulevard has to offer. We are deeply sorry about your neighbors during your stay, we have shared your thoughts with our management team and will consider your improvements during upcoming renovations.

Thank you again and I hope to see you visit the lovely Riverside Hotel again soon.

fort lauderdale
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently because I was told it was centrally located . It is located on busy las olas boulevard This is convenient to shops however it is hard to find parking. the rooms are not so big and if you stay in the older section that has skipped the renovation. The rooms can be dumpy small and outdated The newer rooms. Are much more $$$$$. also they allow pets but not everywhere. They can be in the rooms. But not at the bar. Also keep in mind that alot of local residents come to the bar at happy hour and the prices for them are less at the bar. The food is very average. in the past the food was much better but they hired a new chef and the quality went down .The only decent meal here is breakfast. The lunches have barely passable burgers and sandwiches.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank emmyFortLauderdale
Good Day,

Thank you for your Tripadvisor of the Riverside Hotel.

We apologize that you had only a mediocre experience here at the Riverside Hotel as we truly encourage excellence in our amenities to the best of our abilities. We are sharing your thoughts with the team and hope you return to stay with us again for a much better experience.

Thank you again.

Long Island, NY
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We spent 3 nights, 4 days in a corner tower balcony room with 2 queens. Room was spotless - not a single problem. A/C was quiet, which is a big plus in my book. The wrap around balcony was to die for - spent a lot of time out there just watching all the action on the NuRiver.
Desk staff was gracious, as were the bellmen and concierge. All had a smile and a hello for us at all times. Can't beat the location - right on Las Olas. We love the pool area - even though it is "across the street." Plenty of towels, food can be ordered, drinks, etc. Got a great price, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again and again and again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pe4all4
Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. It's wonderful to see you enjoyed your stay and all of the Riverside Hotel staff. I have to agree with you, the view from the wrap around balcony rooms are hard to beat!

Thank you again for your nice response and I hope to see you return soon!

Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas CompanyBad Review
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed there the other day and will be back. Perfect location. I wanted to stay longer but gotta pay for the vacations somehow. Staff excellent. Rooms excellent. Just go. I can't say enough about the city as well. Non stop if you do it right. Beautiful people and all friendly.

• Stayed July 2013