“Mixed Emotions”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #21 of 127 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Working in a hotel for several years I have experienced it all. I understand what it takes to run a hotel and what it takes to take care of your guest. I rarely make a big deal about issues because I truly understand the hospitality business and what the hotel associates have to go through. My first impression of the hotel was great! The Bellman and Concierge were very warm and welcoming as you enter the hotel lobby. The Front Desk check in experience was also wonderful. Room 1107 in the tower part of the hotel was very spacious and comfortable. Cleanliness however was an issue to me. The shower curtain clearly had blood on it, the toilet handle was broken where it made it almost impossible to use, the windows leading out to the balcony had sticky hand prints all over the windows and there was trash on the floor. I reported the shower issue to the Front Desk in the morning and there was no "guest recovery" at all! The housekeeper clearly does not know how to clean a room or has no one inspecting the room to ensure it was cleaned properly before clearing it as a vacant/ready room. Upon returning to my room the shower curtain had been replaced but the toilet handle was still broken, the windows still dirty and trash still on the floor! Very disappointing! There should never be any signs of a previous guest when a new guest checks into the room! The toilet handle should have also been reported by the housekeeper to the Engineering Department! Room Service associates were great! Meals were delivered in a timely manner! Norma was very pleasant to speak too on the phone when placing my order! Sasha could use some training in regards to customer service via telephone. All in all you have a beautiful property with some great associates but I would recommend following up with your Housekeeping Department to ensure they are following hotel standards regarding cleanliness!

Room Tip: Tower room with balcony!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SDT11
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hello SDT11,

Thank you very much for your feedback, all of your concerns were shared with our management; we apologize for all inconveniences and we're working hard to make the necessary changes you suggested. We are thrilled you enjoyed the lovely location, our executive tower and the pleasant staff!

We truly hope to see back at the Riverside Hotel! We value you as a guest and couldn't thank you enough for your input on TripAdvisor!

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Spent a couple of nights here fin the first weekend of October. Right in the heart of Las Olas with its great array of restaurants, bars and shops, beautiful 10th floor room in the new part, with a great view down to the sea. Around 3 miles from the sea, but plentiful ways of getting there and even taxis are cheap. Wonderful service from the staff, free wifi was included. The "inhouse" restaurants did great breakfasts with helpful servers, and we had one dinner at the seafood restaurant next door which I thoroughly enjoyed, the seafood was really fresh and tasty. The water taxi trip around the canals is a must, and very good value at $20 per person, you can ride all day for that price. Lots of stunning houses and yachts to see, and a good running commentary from the captain about who lives where. Had one evening at the hotel too where they had live music with a great musician and his daughters..boy could they belt it out, foot stomping stuff.
Was a little dissappointed with the beach itself, it seemed to be full of very drunk youngsters, and the bars along the front (with the exception of the Ritz Carlton) were to my mind a little cheap and tacky, clearly aiming for the young crowd. Had a meal at the Ritz Carlton, surprisingly good value and some really good servers too. Las Olas itself was a very pleasant and friendly experience, great restaurants all around, clearly for the "upmarket" crowd.

Room Tip: Personally I liked the higher floors and rooms with balconies, some stunning views. Be warned, the p...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you BritLithcouple for your feeback!

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We could not be happier you had such a pleasant time, the 10th floor view is definitely my favorite in the city and the Wild Sea restaurant is delicious - great choices!

Thank you again for such positive remarks and I hope to see you return soon to our lovely property.

Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas Company

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Excellent choice for a couple of nights stay. Set on classy Las Olas with easy access to the bars, shops and restaurants although there is everything you need in the hotel itself if you don't want to explore.

Rooms are modestly sized but perfectly acceptable and clean with comfortable beds and good bathrooms. As with the majority of hotels in the US there is free wifi that actually works throughout. Throughout the hotel there is a traditional Spanish feel and ambience.

Food is excellent, spent a very pleasant evening sat outside watching the world pass by whilst tucking into the best club sandwich ever. The omelette I had for breakfast kept me going until dinner. There are a couple of bars to choose and plenty more in the vicinity.

The pool is set across the street and is excellent with the pool itself a good size and plenty of loungers and fresh towels. Pools can often be fairly functional in the US but this one is well thought out and surrounded by palm trees.

Overall a very pleasant stay in a nice hotel with good facilities, amenities and attentive staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Davedog001

Good Morning!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed our lovely hotel as well as the vibrant and convenient location!

We can't thank you enough for such positive reviews and we hope to see you back very soon!

Kristi

Marketing Manager – Riverside Hotel and The Las Olas Company

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This hotel is our ONLY choice in Ft. Lauderdale! We usually stay for one or two nights prior to a cruise vacation in January. It is very convenient, clean, and "classic Florida" to us escapees from the Michigan snow of January. I am sorry to note concern from another reviewer about cleanliness. I can only believe that is was a most unusual occurance. We have stayed here a number of times and have always been pleased. I, too, bring Clorox wipes to wipe down the doorknobs, light switches, bathroom handles, etc. I have not experienced the wipes getting dirty at all after using them at this property. (Also, you should wipe of the tv remote) In any case, the rooms are spacious enough for us and luggage, to relax, the bar/lobby is nice and the restaurant is also very good. Los Olas Blvd is just out the door with numerous boutiques, Rocos Tacos, Italian and French food right there for the choosing. The staff is always polite, efficient and helpful and you can grab a cab....do NOT bother with those multiple-person shuttles,..and zip over to the port and your ship..Perfect start to a "no think" escape!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We were thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay. We passed along your kind praises to our management and were happy you got to enjoy your time here in lovely Fort Lauderdale!

Again, we are thankful for your feedback/great tips and we hope to see you return soon!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We bought a two night stay from Travelzoo that included $50.00 food credit. Hotel is a historic old building! Great location overlooking Las Olas and the river.Bernadette at check in was very nice and informative.Our 11 the floor room was beautiful and on the backside of hotel! Front side noisy as Las Olas hops at night.The annual Octoberfest was being held on property lawn so that brought in more crowds.Happy hour was great at both bars. Service rather slow! Bartender more interseted in locals,,,, Dinner at Indigo just ok service slow food ok sat outside but started raining.Hotel needs to rope off dining area as the rain brought people walking by under dining area not to get wet.Best part of stay was music outside both nights!,,

Room Tip: Not in front of hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. All of your concerns were passed along to management and we are so happy you enjoyed your view and our wonderful staff, especially sweet Bernadette and our entertainer Wesley Phillips, he's hard to beat!

We are thankful for your feedback and hope to see you return soon!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

I'm a stickler for cleanliness, I admit it. But this hotel leaves a lot to be desired. The bathroom light switches were fitly, I cleaned them myself to feel comfortable using them-then I noticed the wall and trim around the switches looked like something out of an old gas station rest room. The shower grout was also dirty.

The A/C does not work that well-I set mine on 66 degrees and I don’t think it ever got below 74 in the five days I was here. The vent covers were very dusty.

Another minor irritation-the bed making. I expect (and tip very well) to have a bed made properly. I expect hospital corners and a nice tight bed. My sheets were simply laid across the mattress pad, and not tucked in at all or turned down at the top. I was here for business, so thankfully it was just me. I can't imagine being here with a loved one.

The wifi is free but slowww.

All of the staff was all pleasant however.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. All of your feedback was passed along to our management and we are very happy you enjoyed our kind staff.

We are thankful for your feedback and I hope to see you return soon!

Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary recently. We wanted a vacation spot and to do some shopping as well so we rented a car. The hotel is well positioned in the middle of everything. The staff was great. We enjoyed the convenience of elevator from hotel to garage and the parking fees being charged as part of hotel stay. The food at indigo is also great. Live entertainment at 7pm is excellent. Make sure you stay in the tower side though. View of the river is fabulous. Great Italian, French, greek restaurants on the strip. We plan to make Las Olas and Riverside Hotel our regular get away spot.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BevyWell

Good day!

I really appreciate you taking the time to write in TripAdvisor about your most recent stay at the Riverside Hotel. We were thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay. We passed along your kind praises to the Indigo staff as well as our entertainer, Wesley Phillips, we love him too!

We are thankful for your feedback and hope to see you return soon!