“Great location in downtown Ft Lauderdale”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
“Great location in downtown Ft Lauderdale”
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night but going back next week for another shot. Why? Location. Cannot be beat. The hotel restaurant was very very good and the hotel staff too. I am going to upgrade to the towers and see if that improves my opinion of the room. I stayed in the historic wing (6th floor) and it was ok like a 3 star. The lobby and bar and restaurant is very inviting and relaxing. Tip: get a dining table outside and watch the world of people walk on by while enjoying this hotel's hospitality.

• Stayed March 2014
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
HI XciteSteve,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and are positive you will enjoy our Executive Tower. We think you'll be delighted to hear we are renovating our whole property this year and cannot wait for your feedback! Did you get the chance to eat dinner at the Wild Sea Oyster Bar and Grille? We're now open for dinner 7 days a week!

Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

This is a great place to stay for a pre cruise or on your return it has a great position on Las olas where all the night life is and great shops and the best restaurants in town so all worth a visit prices are line line with the other hotels in the area.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mickmac316
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hi MickMac316,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're thrilled you enjoyed our lovely hotel as well as all Las Olas has to offer. We truly hope to see you back soon and hope you had a fantastic cruise!

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stay here every year. You can't get a better location for great restaurants - right on Las Olas Boulevard...

The staff are super friendly and polite and are always very welcoming...

We recommend paying for an upgrade to the towers; the rooms are significantly better than the standard rooms.

One thing we don't like is the $10 charge a day for a fridge in the room; a hotel of this calibre should provide this services for free (especially as we stay every year at this hotel!)...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff and Jenni G
Hi Floridabrits,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're so grateful to have your business and company every year! We're doing a room makeover in both towers this year and we truly look forward to your feedback! If you have not gotten the chance yet we also suggest you try the Wild Sea Oyster Bar & Grille downstairs, will not disappoint!

Orange County, CA
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Arrived in room 1218 late at night after a long flight. Was greeted by a bloody shower curtain (picture attached). Pulled down the cover on one of the two double beds to find black stains all over the sheets and pillow cases. Decided to take those sheets and pillowcases off and put on the sheets and pillowcases from the other bed. So stripped the bed down to the mattress pad which was literally covered with detritus. I don't know know what it was, but it was so obvious you had to see it when (if) you changed the sheets. Ripped off the mattress pad, too. Went to the other bed and turned down the cover to find the same thing. Every sheet, every pillow case had stains on it, every single one. I went to the closest and found a plastic bag with a pillow and a blanket in it. Took those out. Pillow had black stains and blanket had yellow stains. It was also obvious that they had not vacuumed the room as there was detritus all over the carpet. It was late and I was in my pajamas so I just dealt with it. The other problems with the room included: no luggage rack, stickers from toilet paper roll were stuck on the toilet handle, and there was no pad of paper or pen. But I could live with all of those things as long as I just had clean sheets. In the morning, I called the housekeeping manager and met with him and showed him all of the problems. He said they would clean it. I left. And what did they do? They cleaned the room, the sheets were clean but had holes in them, and there was no token, no apology, not even a bottle of water. (I had to take my pills with warm water from the tap - the water just would not get cold; good thing I washed the glass.) I talked to a lady two days later at the hotel who had a similar experience with a dirty room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ducs
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Hi Ducs,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are deeply sorry your experience was as described and all information was shared with our Managers. This type of comment is rare for our hotel and we take it very seriously. We request that you share all details with our Guest Services Manager, Michael, at mdimartino@riversidehotel.com.

We truly hope to see you back in the future for a much kinder experience.

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 6 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here last night at the recommendation of a friend when we were in town for business. It has a great location on the New River and although was built in the 1930's has been completely updated. Our room was great and super comfortable bed. Bathroom small in keeping with when it was built, but perfectly adequate. Great bar and restaurant (Indigo) right in the hotel, which we opted for as the weather was very rainy. Did not disappoint. But there are lots of other options on Los Olas Blvd. close by. The only reason I am not giving it a higher rating is the lack of direction where to park or how to get to the valet. We pulled up at the Los Olas entrance, which is what appears to be the main entrance to the hotel, but it is actually around the back. It would be good to have signs in front how to get to the hotel valet, but there were none. So I had to get out in the rain and took about another 10 minutes to figure out what to do. There is also a parking garage around back if you don't want to valet ($23 a night which we thought was high) but again no direction how to get there. So the check in and car park experience was less than great but hotel itself and restaurant we have no complaints.

Room Tip: we were on top floor and very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Hi Michele,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We're thrilled you enjoyed yourself at the hotel and were able to enjoy our dining as well. We truly appreciate the suggestion for parking directions and we're sorry that you were confused! We hope to see you back soon when the sun is shining!

Burlington, Ontario
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This hotel is wonderful and very reasonably priced. Great restaurants right on the blvd. Rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast was great. They upgraded us to a balcony room with a fabulous view. Ate dinner right across the street at Johnny V excellent food.

Room Tip: Ask for the new tower rooms they are better than the old section.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Riverside1936, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Hi CareBear4844,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled you had a such a wonderful stay and got to enjoy our beautiful balcony rooms! Also, how fantastic and classy is Johnny V? We cannot wait for your next visit and we encourage you to try out our seafood restaurant, Wild Sea Oyster Bar and Grille!

Gaithersburg, MD
Reviewed 3 March 2014

If you are looking for a hotel away from the beach and in the heart of the Las Olas restaurant/bar area, this hotel is a good choice. However, I was a little disappointed in the condition of the hotel and some things it lacked. Other reviews have indicated that the "old tower" is not as nice as the new tower - and I must agree. I stayed in the older section of the hotel and I was not impressed. Things start off with a cramped elevator ride, dark and dingy hallways, and a lingering musty odor. My room was adequate at best. The furnishings were either very old or faux antiques -- I couldn't tell. My biggest complaint: why can't a hotel that likes to think it is a "luxury" hotel provide beds with fitted sheets??!! Each night my bed was made up with a top sheet that was either too short at the top or too short at the bottom. Of course it wouldn't stay tucked in the sides, so by the middle of the night, I was wrestling with a loose sheet and touching the nasty bed cover underneath. Come on -- spend a few bucks and buy fitted sheets! My other complaint was a lack of hot water. My first morning my shower was luke warm at best -- and this was at 6:30am! Oh, and because of the tile floors and gaps under the doors, you can hear everything coming from the adjacent rooms!

The only reason why I didn't give this hotel a lower rating was because the staff was very friendly and professional -- and the air conditioner worked great (nice and cool)!

So while the location of this hotel was fine, the condition and amenities were lacking which was disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TerpTraveler55
Hi TerpTraveler55,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor! We take all critical reviews very seriously and we're deeply sorry about the pain points of your room. This year we are actually doing a major makeover and renovation of both of our towers - Executive and Classic. We would love and appreciate your return next year to give us your feedback, we think you'll love it! If you would not mind, we'd love for you to send the details of your stay and which room you were in to our Guest Service Manager, Michael, at mdimartino@riversidehotel.com.