“Riverside Restaurant Service”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #17 of 128 Hotels in Fort Lauderdale
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Although I did not personally stay in the Riverside Hotel (which I have heard great things about as a Fort Lauderdale local and fellow hotelier), I dined today in the restaurant on property. Much to my dismay, I must say that I was shocked and literally horrified at the level of service which I received. After 20 minutes with not even so much as a glass of water, our waitor paid little/no attention to us. Three of our four guests were served their lunch, and I was told that my food would be out "shortly". Twenty five minutes later, I still had yet to receive my order. Our drinks had not been refilled without getting up out of our chairs to find our waitors, and the patrons around us were complaining of the same difficulties. My mother got out of her chair and went into the adjacent bar area to request that the restaurant manager come to our table. It took approximately 15 minutes for him to come over, and when we described the service that he had received (mind you I still had yet to receive my order), he asked what I had ordered (simple French Toast), and he vanished without apologies, empathy, or even so much taking the time to listen to our list of complaints. He came back shortly thereafter with my french toast, and when I politely told him that I had told our waitor 20 minutes beforehand that I had requested my food "to go" because everyone else at our table was already finished eating and that I expected the food to be removed from our bill, he said that he absolutely could not do that, because they were very "busy". I told him that I was absolutely shocked at the level of service that I had received from both our individual waitor and himself, and that as a fellow hotelier from a local competing hotel, he replied "do you want the food or not", I said no that I did not. At that point, I wanted nothing to do with the restaurant, the food, etc. Luckily, a hostess nearby heard the squabble going on (by this point, other waitors and such were gathering around to hear our complaints, as several other tables were joining in), and she was the ONLY employee of the restaurant who took the time to listen to the difficulties which we had experienced. She did ensure that the french toast was removed from our bill and further deducted a 20% discount off of our bill. I understand that restaurants get busy, food orders can be slow, and other things beyond the wait staff control can get in the way of them delivering service in a timely mannor, however I do believe that the manner in which these situations are handled is the clear cut line between a good and a terrible experience. I am sad to say that I must rank my experience at the Riverside restaurant as absolutely the most terrible dining experience I have ever had. I will never ever go back there to dine, and I will be sure that my friends, colleagues, and clients know my thoughts if I am asked.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank alexisapple
There are newer reviews for Riverside Hotel

Reviewed 16 January 2010

We have nothing but great things to say about our stay at the Riverside Hotel.

The location is excellent, the service was great and the room was spacious and comfortable.

We enjoyed the live music on their outdoor area of the Indigo restaurant while sipping coffee in the morning and wine in the evening. For dinner the Indigo restaurant was excellent. Pam said the paella was the best she ever had. She liked it so much she had it two nights!

On this stay we were in the Executive Tower building with a nice view of Los Olas Boulevard. The Executive Tower room was much nicer than the low rise building that we had stayed in a few years ago when we were here.

We highly recommend the Riverside Hotel and will likely stay there again the next time we travel to Ft. Lauderdale.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We stayed for two nights in this hotel before our cruise, for this purpose it was OK.
Pros: convinient location, great staff, amazing reception area
Cons: our room was somewhat run down, bathroom looked dirty and rusted, with some stuff growing on the walls, the view not existent: the window was covered with a net as it was facing other hotel walls and ventilators; the conditioning was outdated, bulky and noisy, we tried to switch it off, but than you need to open the window and there you are facing a noise from ventilators outside.
Overall not worth the price..

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barsuchok
Reviewed 1 January 2010

Hi,
We stayed in the Riverside Hotel over Christmas.This is a Excellent Hotel to spend the Festive Season.From the tme we arrived we were made feel very special.Casey on reception adopted us on our arrival.Allocating us a a lovely cosy Executive Room with Balcony and King Size Bed.
The reception and hotel were decorated with beautiful Christmas decorations.Lively
Bar with Happy Hour 4 to 7.Breafast is a special treat try the Sausages & eggs.
Dinner in the evening is served in the Dining Room or outside on the Patio.Nice menu very good food and good value try the chicken.The hostess Linda treated us in a most welcome way.
The Hotel is very central for Airport.Shopping, Cruises Restaurants and Art Gallerys.The Guests staying our Holiday were a very happy jovial bunch always a Good Morning and smile.
The concierge Rafeel (Chicago) was most helpful and could not do enough for us.Arainne in housekeeping thank you for the favour on our departure.
My reason for my theme Home From Home/Back To Basics in present times in our Strife Torn World between Wars,Famine,Recession and Global Warming it is a marvellous tonic we have the Riverside Hotel and their Staff to spoil us and forget our woes.
Our Good News is we will return for Christmas 2010.
May you All Have A Peaceful &Healthy New Year.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2009

OMG, where do I begin... first of all the staff was very rude except for Mr. Johnson (sorry, I dont remember his first name but he identified himself as the hotel supervisor) he noticed that a staff member was being very rude to a member of our party who kindly asked for more coffee filters for our room and she rudely denied. Mr Johnson overheard the staff member being rude and brought us gormet coffee himself. I have some advise for mr. Johnson if he reads this, go to another hotel or fire everyone else and hire better staff. This is supoused to be a 4 star hotel but the room that we got was not even half a star. The room was small, the bed was very uncomfortable (I still have a back ache) and there was a lot of things that looked that were once broken and instead of being fixed or replaced were rigged with tape and other things. They spen all this money on their lobby and this flare and when they show you your room it is worst than the cheapest trucker motel in town. When we checked in, we were asked if we wanted to park the car in the garage, and I agreed as there was nowhere else to park anywhere else. I was never told that I had to pay $17.50 a day to park my car in their garage. I wish I would have been informed of this when I checked in. I got the surprise when I got my bill and my hotel bill was more than I had planned, I had to swallow my pride an call my wifes parents to let me borrow some money to be able to check out that hell hole. Most ohe of the money that I had put aside for my vacation was eaten away but this peice of [--] hotel. In conclusion, dont stay in this hotel, its a [--] hole. If you don't have millions of dollars or a ferrari them to valet park or a huge yacht to tie up at the dock, you are going to be treated like yesterdays trash in this hotel, don't waste your money. STAY AWAY FROM THE RIVERSIDE HOTEL IN FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lockypr
Reviewed 27 November 2009

Stayed at the Riverside Hotel in Fort Lauderdale for one night and can't say enough about the service (every employee you encountered smiled and said hello) and accommodations. We traveled with a couple who needed a handicap accessible room and there were no problems whatsoever. The room we had (Room 301) was large and very comfortable. It is also close to the water taxi (highly recommend you try this). Also had dinner in the hotel restaurant which was equally good (very tasty paella). Tough to beat the location also.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joseph A
Reviewed 17 October 2009

I stayed here when my house was being fumigated. It was very nice to be able to walk to all the great place on Las Olas. The room was ok but the view wasn't that great.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo